WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm sure this has been asked before, but for us new guys...

I'm sure this has been asked before, but for us new guys...

Can you explain black powder cartridges, pros, cons, and where does one find cartridge revolvers that are actually set up to work with the Holy Black? Or should I just get conversion cylinders for my percussion babies and load BP cartridge with them? Thank you for your reply - I am actually genuinely curious.

Boolit Grand Master

The Colt 1873 was designed for BP. Any of the current revolver cartridges can be shot with BP. That being said some work better than others. The 44/40 is the classic example. The brass is thin enough that BP provides an adequate seal. In the 45 Colt Starline recommend annealing to ensure that you get an adequate seal with the harder and thicker brass.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Your black powder revolvers should work fine with conversion cylinders. The SAA clones should be fine as well. With the conversions, you'll either have a two-piece arrangement that requires disassembly of the gun for reloading or a loading gate system that will require heavy modification of the frame. If you're shooting .36s, that presents another set of problems. I would just get a SAA clone.

As for the cartridge, I'd use a cartridge that was originally designed for it. I love my .44-40, but 45lc brass is much easier to come by.

Boolit Master
    .45 long colt

Boolit Master
    Actually if you are going to be using black powder your choices are greater than people shooting smokeless. You can buy antique revolvers and you don't even have to go throught an FFL. Mentioned was 44-40 and 45 colt which are fine but consider 32's and 38's. Even 38 special was originally a black powder cartridge. You can buy an antique revolver in .38 S&W for less than most modern revolvers and shoot it with black powder, single action, double action, solid frame, top break. If you stick with black powder and cast bullets you don't have to worry about too much pressure. You can have a blast. Consider making your own black powder. If you are inclined maybe get a conversion cylinder for a replica but that will require involving an FFL and will probably cost more than an inexpensive antique revolver.

It is all great fun.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

I am actually working on the making of black powder, just dipped my toe in that deep pond. I know this will sound dumb, but what antiques would you recommend that wouldn't be extremely expensive? If I just bought a modern Pietta 38 SAA, how much extra cleaning would be required?
    Thank you all for your replies.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Actually if you are going to be using black powder your choices are greater than people shooting smokeless. You can buy antique revolvers and you don't even have to go throught an FFL. Mentioned was 44-40 and 45 colt which are fine but consider 32's and 38's. Even 38 special was originally a black powder cartridge. You can buy an antique revolver in .38 S&W for less than most modern revolvers and shoot it with black powder, single action, double action, solid frame, top break. If you stick with black powder and cast bullets you don't have to worry about too much pressure. You can have a blast. Consider making your own black powder. If you are inclined maybe get a conversion cylinder for a replica but that will require involving an FFL and will probably cost more than an inexpensive antique revolver.

It is all great fun.

Tim
    Actually no. Conversion cylinders don't require FFLs.

Hello armoredman,

Personally I shoot Black MZ in my cartridge conversions.
    I picked up a case from Sportsmans Warehouse while they were closing it out.
    It is discontinued now, but it was made by A.P.P. which is still available.
    It does create a lot of smoke, but doesn't have the flash of Black Powder.
    All I can say about Black Powder is to make sure the cartridge if full, no air space.

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundermaker View Post
    I see that now.

Tim
    Last edited by dtknowles; 04-10-2023 at 04:20 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    I am actually working on the making of black powder, just dipped my toe in that deep pond. I know this will sound dumb, but what antiques would you recommend that wouldn't be extremely expensive? If I just bought a modern Pietta 38 SAA, how much extra cleaning would be required?
    Thank you all for your replies.
    I like S&W spur trigger single actions, shooters not collector quality are less than an a new Pietta 38 SAA. I think H&R revolvers in good condition are safe with Black Powder and are even less expensive than S&W.

Cleanup is a must with black powder. If you shoot cap and ball, the clean up is the same. Others probably know better than me about cleaning, but I just take the cylinder out and clean cylinder and barrel with hot water, dry, lightly oil and reassemble.

Tim

Once you go down the black powder rabbit hole you'll never come back.

Boolit Buddy
    deleted.
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

Boolit Grand Master

The issue that hasn't been covered is cleaning your brass. I put mine in a Lyman shaker with ceramic beads, water and dish soap. This cleans out the BP residue and leaves them dull. This needs to be done relatively soon after shooting.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    I drop my cases into a bottle of soapy water as soon as I get back to the gun cart. Makes a big difference.
    A gun in hand is worth two cops on the phone.
    MOLON LABE

Boolit Grand Master

Truth be told, I find cleaning the cases to be more troublesome than cleaning the gun. However, there is something magical when shooting BP cartridge guns.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Man
    little red steam cleaner, makes short work of black powder

There’s confusion about Colt’s when talking about black powder frames. The designation refers to what pressures you should subject the pistol to, not that they’re more effectively used with black powder than a nonblack powder frame. Everyone’s cleaning routine differs. Most times I do a 100% breakdown but I don’t loose any sleep if I don’t. Either way, obviously the cylinder and barrel need to be cleaned and I take care to use pipe cleaners or Q tips in the pawl channel. Water works great. Dry afterwards and oil with a non-petroleum lube. Break Free, Ballistol or jojoba oil works great. Use a black powder lube on your bullets and you’ll be fine

Boolit Buddy
    Agree with everything in post #17. Castaway has struck the nail on the flat part.

Dave

Boolit Master

Loaded my Uberti 32-20 with BP, and it shot better than some of the smokeless rounds I was trying out. It was closer to POA.
    It did bring a smile to my face when I let the first one go.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundermaker View Post
    From my reading you're right, conversion cylinders don't require FFL. BUT - The machining required to install the conversion cylinder makes the cartridge gun like a homemade weapon. Anytime that weapon is to be transferred then it must have serial number and FFL to transfer.

The above is my understanding. I welcome any comments.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast