Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Can't get friends into reloading no matter what I do.....

Reloading isnt for everyone, especially in todays component shortages/pricing. Fear is a factor, time is a perceived factor, though realy isnt. I have gotten a few people to jump in, but they are all competition shooters.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

I've been reloading since the late 1950s...learned from my Boy Scout Rifle Team coach. Since then, I've introduced/mentored several shooters into reloading but, these days, like the OP said nobody's seems interested.

I've been a member of the same rifle/pistol club for over forty years and, when I first joined, the majority of members with whom I became acquainted were reloaders. Today, of our 250 members, perhaps a 10% reload...and I suspect that estimate may be over optimistic. Not many years ago, you rarely found any serviceable brass on our range; today, the gravel of our covered firing lines contains nearly as much brass as rock...mostly 9mm and 5.56/.223. This morning, the scrap bucket behind the pistol line was about half full of of once-fired 9mm and .38 Spl from the weekend. No, I didn't bother to scarf up on it as I already have several two-pound coffee cans of each...already tumbled and ready to feed to the Dillon. Sad, but I guess that's just the way things are.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Reloading is a small part of the overall firearms market. Some of us enjoy it, but the vast majority would rather be doing something else. As far as encouraging a friend to try it, is like trying to make a horse drink water.

Boolit Master
    Reading all this reminds me of another hobby I used to do. RC airplanes. There is a choice to buy a ready to fly plane or to build your own. I almost always built my own. Gave me a lot of satisfaction to fly planes that I build. Others scoffed at me for taking all that time to build something that they just purchased off the shelf.

Another one. Sewing. Making something with your own hands. You get to make it exactly the way you want. Most just buy the stuff off the shelves. Offshoot of sewing is weaving. Make the cloth that you sew with. And, no, I don't make clothes. Lots of bags of various types, gun cases, etc. And leatherwork is part of that as well, so, holsters and belts.

The difference in these other hobbies is the final product you make costs as much or more than what you can buy in the store, made in some sweatshop in a 3rd world country. We do it because we derive a lot of satisfaction from making our own stuff.

Some people like making stuff. Some don't.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    In my 40-45 years of reloading, I've gotten exactly 3 people into reloading that I know of who are still active at it. Two of them started years ago, one started during the pandemic. I told the last one, you couldn't have picked a worse time to start hoss. His work had him traveling quite a bit, and that helped him gather some of the items he needed. Once he had obtained all the necessities, I went to his house and helped him mount the press and get started. He hasn't been back in touch but 3-4 times since then.

Casting you say? Not one person has wanted to learn when I told them I cast my own, none. I do have one who own's and operates a local pawn & gun. He has all the equipment, and has had for 3-4 years that I'm aware of. He said he and a friend were going to learn. I told him I'd been doing it for decades and would be more than happy to come lend a hand if he'd like. So far, he still hasn't fired up a pot of lead.

I guess it all comes down to priorities. Either someone wants to shoot, or they don't. Okay, economics do come into play and I understand that. Been there, done that.

Takes too much time? I guess that depends how much a persons time is worth to them. I don't really know what my time is worth, I truly don't. That's up for each individual to decide for their self.

Truth be told, I'm starting to run really, really low on empathy for people who haven't figured it out yet. It costs more to shoot these days, period. Or, you can learn to reload and save a fair amount. And that's even going to cost more than it used to.

One of the irony's of this site, is the number of people who don't cast. After all, the intent and purpose of this site to begin with was to learn about casting and share experiences.

Murphy
    I understand that all too well. Back when I was still living down in Atoka I knew of about three people that messed with it. Only one of them cast, and hadn't done that for years. Today, now that I live in Tulsa, I only know a few who still handload. And they were met on this forum.

Seems that in today's shooting sports it isn't quite as popular as it was in the decades past. I think a lot of that has to do with cheap bulk ammo. But a lot also has to do with ever increasing component cost. And also people's busy lives today compared to what it used to be like.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

It ain't their 'cuppa'tea' so forget about it, simple as that. If ever they do want to reload/cast you'll probably be first on their list of possible mentors.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    My personnel journey started in the mid 1960's after six+ years of scrimping/saving to finally get the 300 Weatherby rifle my heart desired. It came with open sights, sling, scope and one box (20) of cartridges. Cartridges were $20 per box at that time. I determined I needed to reload. Reason? Why to save money of course LOL. At the time, new brass was simply not available. A hunting partner told me 300 H&H would fire-form to my chamber so I bought three boxes of 300 H&H factory rounds from a going out of business sale (cheap). I also owned a 30-30 Marlin octagon barreled rifle (not carbine), a Lee Enfield 303 and a Savage 270 so I began to load for those also. I learned to reload from books and some help from an older gentleman at the range. Early on I determined that we (Canada) had a history of more Liberal governments than Conservative and they do not like (want) an armed populace (I hate Liberals)! Every chance I get I buy components and just put away the ones I do not need immediately. I have two sons, one Granddaughter and one Great Grandson (he's 11). My Granddaughter is not a shooter (I tried, but---) but both sons are, and my Great Grandson looks forward to my visits so we can spend time together, some of it shooting. I wish he lived closer but life is what it is. In addition to the aforementioned saving money, my basic underlying purpose in accumulating components and reloading tools is because I fear the Liberals will eventually succeed in making it impossible to get what we need, one way or another. My entrance into the world of bullet casting was/is driven by the same philosophy. I have mould(s) for everything I have (but one). I have at least a ton+ of lead, some solder and quite a bit of Babbitt put aside and I will not say no thanks to any offers of more.
    R.D.M.

Banned

You guys are amazingly unique and talented individuals and I am proud to know you. When I was shooting competitive Trap, I was shooting 5000 targets a year.....yea, I reloaded mine.

Boolit Master

Like everybody else, I have offered, but no takers.
    Plenty of, can you load caliber X, usually yes, can you load some for me, no!

A coworker bought a 300 blk AR. He did graciously let us all have a few shots with it one time when we were shooting 'league' at my place. I've asked him a few times if he's shot subs out of it yet and how it did.

His response is, have you seen how expensive those are?

Ehhh, no, no I haven't because I could load my own for a fraction of the cost, (if I had a 300 blk..).

I've tried getting him into it and another coworker as well that both really like shooting and have commented multiple times about ammo cost.

Buys ANOTHER 9mm, I'm like why don't you get a 357 revolver or something different since you've got like 6 9mms already.

Again the ammo cost.

Wouldn't cost all that much if you rolled your own... They both steadfastly refuse to entertain the idea.

The one is all about DIY and is a smart capable guy too. He'd really enjoy learning all there is to learn about reloading his own ammunition.

I'll keep not so subtly dropping hints by getting out my 44s and passing them around for everyone to shoot and shrugging off the cost of ammo since, while not free, is a hell of a lot less than 70 cents or a dollar a round that its currently going for.

Get a press, dies, and scale, and pay me in lead and it'll get real cheap to shoot, when I give some of the lead back as bullets.

I'd be curious if those of you who reload, also do your own home improvement? I think that could be a litmus test of if someone is viable candidate to be a reloader, or caster. I've laid my own tile, installed wood flooring, rebuilt an entire kitchen, replaced wire, sweat copper pipe, put in fencing and installed a shower and more.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=Four-Sixty;5562597]I'd be curious if those of you who reload, also do your own home improvement? I think that could be a litmus test of if someone is viable candidate to be a reloader...

You could be on to something here. I'm a retired restoration/renovation contractor and still do as much of my own improvement/repair work as I'm physically able to handle safely. Of course, I was reloading long before I got into the business but, then, I've alway preferred 'DIY' to store-bought, anyway.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Four-Sixty View Post
    I'd be curious if those of you who reload, also do your own home improvement? I think that could be a litmus test of if someone is viable candidate to be a reloader, or caster. I've laid my own tile, installed wood flooring, rebuilt an entire kitchen, replaced wire, sweat copper pipe, put in fencing and installed a shower and more.
    Depends on what we’re talking about. Need a new faucet or light switch installed, no problem. Need something that is going to look good, I’ll hire someone. Fact is that while I grew up doing house work I realize that I’m not a plumber, electrician, roofer, or a tile guy. My profession is the legal field. That’s what I’m good at. Not ruining a perfectly good floor with a substandard job. I wouldn’t suggest a plumber do his own legal work. And I wouldn’t expect a plumber or electrician to tell me to do my own plumbing or electrical work. It’s all about knowing where to draw the line…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    I understand that all too well. Back when I was still living down in Atoka I knew of about three people that messed with it. Only one of them cast, and hadn't done that for years. Today, now that I live in Tulsa, I only know a few who still handload. And they were met on this forum.

Seems that in today's shooting sports it isn't quite as popular as it was in the decades past. I think a lot of that has to do with cheap bulk ammo. But a lot also has to do with ever increasing component cost. And also people's busy lives today compared to what it used to be like.
    The average American gun owner has changed greatly over the years. I think the percentage of gun owners that reload has gone way down.

Boolit Master
    When somebody wants me to load them up some cheap ammo I always tell them that if they buy the bullets, powder and primers and bring cases I'll help them put it all together. That has stopped all so far. Once they see how much current costs are plus the fact that the components aren't ever going to all be used up due to the quantities you have to buy they quickly decide to keep on buying factory ammo. Most of them are only hunters anyhow and don't need more than a box of ammo each year or two. I always emphasis that I anticipated politically driven price/availability issues with components and that I'm not willing to sell them my components at 5 or 10 year ago prices then have to replace them at today's prices just so they can save a few dollars on a box of deer ammo.

As far as starting people on loading ammo I was really only involved with a couple that I can recall. One was a do-it-yourself friend who bought a 1911 and wanted cheap ammo for it. He got a Lee progressive exactly like the one I had at the time and used it quite a bit for a good while. Not sure if he loads anymore now or not. He never had interest in loading for any other guns. The other fella was a real enthusiastic revolver shooter when we 1st met and he knew I was into guns. We talked for may long sessions all about guns and loading ammo. He had the burning desire and predictably soon got into loading his own ammo. It took a few more years until I could get him to try casting his own bullets. Once he found the Fryxell book that was the final straw he got into casting full force and is one of the most enthusiastic shooters I know.

A couple other gun nut friends I know where already so deep into guns when I 1st knew them that we were all loaders and casters already. My best friend in High School and college was sort of like me, we were born with a burning desire to fool with guns and learn as much as possible. We had no adult/internet or even reloading manual to teach us. We just sort of instinctively knew what to do somehow based on sheer desire to learn. If somebody don't have that, they aren't going to stick with it anyhow.

Boolit Grand Master

Getting into reloading and starting a diet have a lot in common. No one wants to hear about it or do it until they are ready to. I have been competitively shooting in one form or another for a very long time. Economics pushes most of them into reloading. Optimizing accuracy for long range competition is another.

Low usage or low demand shooters tend not want to get into reloading or if they do they don't want to get very in-depth.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by 45workhorse View Post
    Like everybody else, I have offered, but no takers.
    Plenty of, can you load caliber X, usually yes, can you load some for me, no!
    I get that also from some, but they complain about can not find ammo or the cost is too high. I tell them well load your own ammo then . If they say I do not know how, then learn and there is manuals out there. They back off. Also what many stated on here . It is their problem not my.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Most are amazed and wonder at how I learned to reload.

I'm still trying to figure out a fitting response to that question.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Four-Sixty View Post
    YES! Electrical, plumbing, remodeling. Also do most of any mechanic work. Used to do all of it, but old age has gotten in the way. I even build my own steel targets and the frames to mount them although some of those are rather crude.

I am getting older now but in my early life, I did a bit of motorcycle and car racing, mountain climbing, parachuting, free diving, gulf fishing, etc. I usually ask, and leave it at that. I tend to my interests and let those that do not share my interest go their own way. I do not go back and ask them again unless they have another commitment, then I will ask twice.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast