Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Can't get friends into reloading no matter what I do.....

Unhappy Can't get friends into reloading no matter what I do.....

Anyone ever run into this? For the past 8 years I've probably tried getting my friends into reloading. Back at the beginning I just collected 9mm brass because "Some day..." but back then it was literally cheaper to buy and shoot 9mm rather than reload. Both my friend and I joked about this but I was the only one that would keep the brass. Fast forward to today, 9mm is the main thing I'm loading. Both complain the past years about the ammo shortage and ammo prices now. STILL despite me saying its still not too late to get into reloading, they flat out will not. I've personally found reloading to be almost meditating and I enjoy it more than shooting and told them if they just try it they would love it! Not only is it super easy for basic plinking rounds but you can tailor you loads for specific firearms.

Still no one will start reloading. Most common excuse is no room. Second is no time.

My one friend is to his own description not mechanically inclined and would never trust himself or his loads. I explained that I would walk him through it completely step by step by step from start to finish...Still no.

Boolit Master
    If someone doesn't believe they can do something... they might be right. Best leave well enough alone.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    You should not be too surprised at the lack of interest in reloading. You have been on the forum long enough to have read about folks that just hate to cast bullets but have to do that to afford shooting a favorite firearm, or to feed a shooting habit. Some like to cast because it is relaxing, but do not look forward to reloading. Others reload as a matter of necessity due to finances, or not having easy access to ammunition.

Perhaps you may reconsider trying to encourage a person clearly doubting their ability to reload safely. If something ever goes wrong, who will he blame? If he had not been "forced" into reloading nothing would be broken, injured or missing.

This does not mean to stop offering to encourage persons to reload, this just suggests that perhaps the best intentions are just not welcomed at this time of their life.

I offer this suggestion because I have had one person who "wanted" to reload, but looking at this long term, it was for all the wrong reasons and his equipment is just gathering dust in his basement. Now he expects me to come over once a year or so to watch him reload to make sure he does things correctly.

Boolit Master

Most people are intimidated by it. They are ether turned off by the dangers involved or the complexity. I've tried to get half a dozen friends into it, inviting them over and sit in for a reloading session. As of yet only one person got a press, but he never uses it. Go figure. As far as no room, my reloading room is a closet. I've even, at one point drilled holes in my computer desk and mounted the press on a board and used wing nuts to fasten it to my desk. Keyboard covered the holes when the press was put away. I think more and more, that people are getting out of the habit of doing things for themselves and either paying someone to do it or do without. Shame!

Boolit Master
    Reloading is not for everyone; you need a strong to do it and do it right.

I love reloading and casting but for lack of space and time and many other reasons, I haven't done either for quite a while. I don't even save my brass any more which is probably my greatest sin. But when the time becomes right, I'll just flip the switch and jump back in again.

I don't try to talk people into things any more. As others said, you could set someone up for a world of hurt without meaning to do so.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

You are trying to change somebody, which is why you are getting push-back.

The change you are trying to effect would be in their benefit, in their personal interests.
    They could make time, make space, for any thing they want.

And by offering it for free they fail to see the value.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    Most people are intimidated by it. They are ether turned off by the dangers involved or the complexity.
    This is it. Same friend is into cars and has a Mustang but takes it places to be worked on. He would love to work on it himself but he "can't do it" without even trying.

Dad always told me can't never could.

Boolit Master
    I do understand the sentiment here; I have a few friends that don't reload; "no time" or whatever, which I do not buy for an instant.
    While they like to shoot, they seldom do; perhaps the cost of factory ammo but I can't be certain honestly.

The other perspective though; a few decades ago our club president really tried to get me into casting. I greatly enjoy reloading, and handloaded ammo is the keystone of my enjoyment of the shooting sports. He had me get a few 'group buy' molds, of designs he recommended - even gave me some boolits to try. I still remember his favorite, the legendary 311284 - which he demonstrated by having me spot him on the 600yd steel target with his 1903.

But there are some aspects of it that just don't suck me in - but I'm afraid that if I list my objections here I will just get the 'tough love' here.
    I really enjoy brass prep and also tuning my handloads w/ the incredible consistency of factory jacketed bullets - with my modest shooting (virtually none semi-auto) I have nearly a lifetime supply of.

So I kind of see both sides of the coin. Being interested in metallurgy (am actually a materials engineer), I actually read many of the 'lead' threads out of academic interest; as a handloader & not a caster, I still enjoy reading those parts of the forum.
    Last edited by Kestrel4k; 04-09-2023 at 11:06 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Took my twin son's down and taught them to load shotgun shells. Showed them where the powder, primers , wads and everything they needed. A few weeks later saw several cases of Federal store bought's sitting on the floor. They got a good deal but they paid for the shells instead of free components. You can lead them to the water but you can't make them drink GW

Boolit Grand Master
    When you believe you can't, you're right.

But I will say that the abolition of shop classes in high schools has eroded many people's ability to use basic hand tools to the point where "simple" becomes too complex.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    What really bothers me is that they won't even bother to pick up the brass. Just leave it in the grass for the lawnmower to find.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    When you believe you can't, you're right.

But I will say that the abolition of shop classes in high schools has eroded many people's ability to use basic hand tools to the point where "simple" becomes too complex.
    yup... looks that way....

Banned

Several years ago I bought a good friend and my son each a good RCBS Reloading kit and said that I would supervise their use. After 3 years and neither had loaded a round. I finally went to my friends house and sat him down and we loaded a box of .357 magnums. He was proud and shot them in front of his friends. That was years ago and I can't even get him to size any brass by himself!

I started helping my dad load shotgun shells in our living room when I was 15 years old with a LEE type die set, no press. I had to seat the wads and apply pressure on a bathroom scale. I sill have that die set. I have been an avid reloader ever since.

I've been successful at getting two people into reloading. A good friend from work and his son. Both mechanically inclined hunters and shooters so they were born naturals.
    Now, try convincing someone how much fun the black powder guns are.... eeww, they're so dirty, too slow to load, not enough power..... ect.
    Deplorable infidel

I have a young friend that was also a fiend of my son. He showed an interest in loading ammo and I told him that his best bet was to buy a complete kit and several good manuals and read first and read a lot. If you have any questions just call me or come by. Man alive, did he have questions! I knew when he sent me some of his groups that he was addicted. He now loads everything he shoots, handgun, rifle and shotguns. He is a benchrest and precision rifle shooter now as well. He bought a house with acreage and has a rifle range out his back door. Converted a garage to a reloading shop and is in whole hog. If he started to cast, there would probably no lead for sale anywhere in North Alabama. All the other people that ask a couple of questions never bothered to take up the game.
    The facts are that newbies will come to you and those with casual interest will buy their ammo. Like anything else, you can only suggest. My son is a classic example. His favorite saying is "Dad can load those".
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    A person just has to get the urge on their own. No use in trying to get them to do something, no matter if it makes sense or not. Kind of like getting married. Let them make their own mistakes!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    I've successfully gotten two people into reloading, but then again they knew I reloaded and approached me and knew I'd be available to answer and help any way I could.
    Had a co-worker approach me and say he'd like to relax and reload while having a beer, I told him all the dangers about that and showed him videos of guns deconstructing from overloads, turned him off real quick because he won't stop drinking, so yeah some should not reload.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    Can't get friends into reloading no matter what I do......
    Recluse had a great post about us boolit casters and such, where he categorized guns owners.
    AND... some gun owners just have not yet worked up to the "Reloader" level.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...an-others-here
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I think most of folks now days have gone from DIY to get a good job and pay for anything you "can't" or don't want to do. I have made attempt to get folks to start reloading but so far no go. I don't push much after the first attempt.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast