Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Mossberg 146b

Boolit Master

Mossberg 146b

Educate me about the Mossberg 146b. Quality, accuracy, value? The one I am looking at has the factory peep sight on it. Looks to be in good condition. Trigger seems a little stiff for a target rifle. Can it be improved? It belonged to a gentleman at the ranges father. He has no sentimental attachment to it. I don't need it, but I do not own a bolt action 22 and thought this might make a nice 100yd gun. I have no prior knowledge of them so any info would be helpful.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm not real familiar with the various 142-146 Model Mossberg rifles, although my best friend had a 144b (I think) when we were kids. It was a rabbit killing machine.

With that said, every sporter weight .22 Mossberg I have ever been around shot like it was a target rifle. I would not be scared of it not shooting well.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I have my Dad's Mossberg 44usb. He purchased mail order back in the 1950's. Came with a good adjustable peep sight and 4 different front flip-up sights. Also had a small Weaver 4x scope in a side mount on the receiver that could be used when the peep was removed. It's a tack driver for sure. My Dad's only 22 rifle when I was a kid. He made 100 yd shots with it like it was a centerfire. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it in a heartbeat.

Boolit Master
    I have a couple 46B-b's, a146B with the T bolt handle and a standard round bolt handle 146B. The 46B-b was my first rifle, a little heavy for an 11 year old but very accurate. The 46 was earlier than the 146, the 146 has the .22 dovetail while the 46 uses a side mount, Little difference between them. The trigger/sear engagement sometimes has machine tool marks that careful stoning will smooth to a very crisp trigger. They are reliable, fun rifles that are very accurate.

Boolit Master

There were a lot of variations in the sights. Some had a swivable rear peep with a buckhorn on the barrel. Front sights were solid or four hinged front sights (peep and posts) under a hood. Most of the hinged front sights did not survive with time. People lost or removed the hood and the hinged sights got broken.
    Those Mossbergs were known for excellent accuracy. Triggers were not the best though.

I have a 142K, five 152, one 151K & a 340BA, I recently gave away a 142 with "T" style bolt handle and a 340BB to grandchildren. I always wanted a 146b with the "T" style bolt handle, but would buy any 146b in decent condition @ a reasonable price. I've never seen a Mosberg .22rf that wasn't accurate. They are very close to the Remington 510,511,512 & 521T as far as accuracy: in my opinion.
    Last edited by oldhenry; 04-11-2023 at 08:49 PM.

Boolit Master

I have two and they are very, very accurate. I especially like the tubular magazine.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    If it has the aperture rear sight and the front sight, those are arguably the most valuable parts of the rifle. Don't believe me? Price some and see. I've seen the rifles priced from around $250 to around $500, but that's been a year or more ago; they're probably higher now. I've also got a T-handle 146B That's been in my family since I was a small child. It's been a safe queen, but I need to resurrect it and see what she'll do.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    I have a 46b but any Mossberg in nice condition with the peep sight is usually a fine shooter. Mossberg made an accurate solid working man's target rifle. If you get a chance to shoot it to check function that would be even better. I am not sure on the value but definitely worth checking out.
    Last edited by beemer; 04-11-2023 at 10:29 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    I have a 46b but any Mossberg with in nice condition the peep sight is usually a fine shooter. Mossberg made an accurate solid working man's target rifle. If you get a chance to shoot it to check function that would be even better. I am not sure on the value but definitely worth checking out.
    I am friends with the gentleman that owns the rifle and I do have it. It has been too windy the past few days to really do a range test. Hoping for it to calm down in a day or two. If I do end up with it, I will most likely replace the peep sight with a scope, but I am going to give them a try. The trigger is crisp, but pretty heavy.

Thanks for the replies. Keep them coming. Not finding a ton of info on the web.

Boolit Buddy

My 46mb with peep sights is a tack driver (if my old eyes hold up) . As stated above, the Mossbergs don’t disappoint.

Boolit Master
    Does the rifle have top grooves or does it take the side mount. If it has a side mount Havlin Sales make a side mount that takes a 1" scope for under $30. Don't underestimate the peep sights but if you take them off don't lose them they are hard to find and expensive.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    Does the rifle have top grooves or does it take the side mount. If it has a side mount Havlin Sales make a side mount that takes a 1" scope for under $30. Don't underestimate the peep sights but if you take them off don't lose them they are hard to find and expensive.
    Beemer it has the top groove. If I buy it I would like to use it in 100yd matches and the peeps are not practical for that, not with the targets being used anyway. I would definately hang on to the peep sights simply because they belong to that rifle. Any idea on value?

Boolit Master

The wind finally died down enough Friday to shoot it. This is a 10 shot group at 25yds with a front rest.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Target.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	313082

I am not the best of shots any more so I take full responsibility for the outliers, but it seemed to group pretty well. I did buy it. Now the quest for a scope begins.