Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Finely got to shoot

Boolit Master

Finely got to shoot

My new pistols. The wind has been bad 40/70 mph or been cold and I don’t do cold too many birthdays lol. Was very impressed with the BRG 9 Elite’ the Stoger 9c , and RIA 1911, was less than impressed with the Kahr 45 to light for the round recoil was viscous my Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag is not that bad. Hope the wind dies so I can shoot more. This is the first time I have felt like shooting since my wife of 62 years passed.
    Frank G.

Boolit Master
    I’m very sorry for your loss.

My brother just lost his wife to cancer.

I feel your pain on the wind. I’m near Fort Worth and haven’t been able to do much load testing.

Guess I’ll have to wait a couple months for when it’s calm and hot. Good news is I usually have the range to myself those days.

Glad to hear you got back out. Hope it was fun!

Boolit Master

Frank
    Good to hear you made it out to shoot. So sorry to hear about your wife's passing. My brother lost his wife this last November. They found a cancer they couldn't identify in July, and in 3 months she was gone. My brothers just about as tuff as they come, but that knocked him down hard. He's just now getting where he can function. Ditto on the cold weather. Here in Albany Oregon (Willamette Valley) it's been cold and dreary and wet for months. The 35-50 degrees damp along with the wind, cuts right through ya. I guess better weather's a comin.
    Regards
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    My new pistols. The wind has been bad 40/70 mph or been cold and I don’t do cold too many birthdays lol. Was very impressed with the BRG 9 Elite’ the Stoger 9c , and RIA 1911, was less than impressed with the Kahr 45 to light for the round recoil was viscous my Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag is not that bad. Hope the wind dies so I can shoot more. This is the first time I have felt like shooting since my wife of 62 years passed.
    I, also, am so sorry re your loss! Me? A sunny, quite warm day here today -- almost 10*C (~50*F) with little/no wind... what an ideal day to go shoot a few targets! However, albeit I am "almost there", with my leg I'm still toooo much of a cripple. Worst part is my requiring two canes to get about -- kind of makes me wish I had a third arm so I might carry (a firearm!) things. But, God willing and a bit more Physical Therapy -- I'm hoping to get there. First order, of course, will be my ability to both go down -- and up -- the stairs to get to safe. Re the 44 Mag -- I always (maybe I'm a wussie?) have always shot middle-of-the-road ,44 S&W Special loads in mine... a good part of shooting to me -- is the fun of it. "Killer loads" (to the shooter) -- e,g, full house 10mm Auto, .44 Rem Mag, .454 Casull -- well, they're not fun to me...
    Happy Easter!
    geo

Boolit Master
    Well all my 9’s are good my 1911’s are great but the Kahr 45 was just to much for my od hands. I gave my rifles to my sons A Shiloh to my oldest and a (1867) Rolling block a 1866 Allen second conversion 50/70 trapdoor to my youngest. Also gave a 1898 Krag to my grandson. I did keep my AR’ s and my model 60 22.They can enjoy them while I am still around to see them enjoy them.
    Frank G.

Boolit Master
    Sorry for your loss.

I was lucky. I was thinking my ideal carry gun would be one of the small .45's. I loved my 1911 and the wife's commander but wanted something smaller. Figured on something like a small Glock, S&W, etc. I finally got to try one (Glock 30) at an indoor range/gunshop. Glad I did. Needless to say, it did not follow me home. I'll stick with full grips. I have a small MAK if I feel the need for concealed carry.

Boolit Master
    Freightman, thanks for starting this post. Reminded me of the night I drove Mom home after Dad passed a few days before their 60th. Sitting at the kitchen table Mom looked over at me and said “The Lord took your Dad and left me here. He must have left me here because He wanted me to live…..so I will”.

Oh man she grieved. But she kept feeding herself, doing what had to be done. Depression. Yep. It was a hard day the first anniversary of his death. But she lived.

The second year was easier. It’s been over 5 years now. She still tells me she misses him everyday. But it’s no longer the focus of her life.

Her life has taken some turns and there’s a different situation now with her living in a nursing home due to Parkinson’s. But she still lives and contributes to world. Sometimes all she has to give is a smile or to ask one of her neighbors how they’re doing and listen.

I grew up in Clovis so I understand cold wind and blowing dirt. No fun. Keep shooting.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Vendor Sponsor

I carry the Kahr CW45, you just have to use a firm grip with it. You want smaller, lighter, but same knockdown as a 1911, you have to absorb the extra energy a smaller lighter pistol puts into recoil. It's physics to be specific, there isn't any free ride.

Anytime I can dig a textbook perfect mushroomed Speer Gold Dot JHP out of 9" of Carolina red clay, I'll take whatever recoil comes with it.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    You never get over missing them it has been over a year and sometimes I can still see her embroidering in-her recliner . I sometimes rush to tell her something she was my best friend. The kids moved me to a one room house on their farm about 200 yds from their house so I am not alone I we have goats,pigs,cows,horses, chickens and ducks so I have plenty todo. I will carry the Kahr but won’t shoot it much as my old hands are beat up with age. I. Quit selling guns a longtime ago I give them to my kids and grandkids.
    Last edited by Freightman; 04-09-2023 at 08:14 PM.
    Frank G.

Boolit Master

I lost my wife of 56 years on March 9th. Right now, I’m not sure when I’ll feel like going to the range. Before she got sick, I started selling off some of my lead stash. I’ve started back working on that project but even that almost takes more concentration than I can muster.

I can’t even decide which guns to pass on. Afraid I will regret it a year from now. I almost wish I had a one room house near the sons. The house we lived in for 53 years and raised our kids in, seems huge now that I’m the only occupant.
    Last edited by alamogunr; 04-11-2023 at 11:49 PM.
    John
    W.TN

Freightman and Alamogunr, very sorry for your losses.

You'll never "get over it" like so many people always told me. "Move on" they said but you never do.

You can, however, start living again. But there is no time table. Make sure you grieve but as things feel right, get back into it as you feel it is appropriate.

My heart is with you both.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master
    Alamogunr, that’s heavy! So sorry for you. I wish I had words to help make it better. But your healing, to what extent it happens, is between you and the Lord. Time does make a difference. I think we build up callouses to cope.

I do hope you don’t have to make big decisions while you’re wounded.

Big house….yep I’ve seen that happen a lot. Happened to Mom, my neighbor, some of my extended family. Big houses turn into big problems when you can’t take care of them anymore.

Hope you can get out among people and keep putting one foot in front of the other.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Mold
    Sorry for your loss fella I truly hope you that it gets better with time for you. Prayers sent

Boolit Master
    Sorry for your loss words can’t express a loss like losing a large part of you.I sold my house asap put it on the market it sold for asking price the next day.
    I have taken up cooking and is getting pretty good at it, the family don’t gripe and eat it all.stay busy it helps I took the job of contacting all who are absent at assembly on Sundayit keeps me in touch and has helped attendance.
    Frank G.

Boolit Master

I've just started working into cooking. Nobody but to satisfy and I'll eat almost anything. I do love omelets so I hope to be able to work up to an acceptable omelet. Friends have provided me with recipe's but haven't tried most. Seem too complicated to start with.

I resigned as an elder in our congregation when my wife got sick. We adhere to the biblical tenet that an elder must be "husband of one wife" (Titus 1:6). I apply that to my situation in that I couldn't carry out the duties of an elder without her to help me think things through.
    John
    W.TN