Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In the Market for a Side x Side

Boolit Master

In the Market for a Side x Side

Who makes a descent double barrel a working man can afford no days? Say under $2000.

if you can find a used browning bss doublebarrel, you should buy it. i have a browning bss 20 ga sporter that has been hunted by four generations of hunters since 1978 and as fired thousands of factory and reloads with out any repairs at all, only cleaning.

Boolit Grand Master

Best for the money would be a nice used Browning or an SKB.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master
    I just sold a Baikal I had used for CAS a couple of months ago for $600. That gun went through a lot of rounds with no issues at all. It was my main match gun for years and fired over 10k rounds . They come up once in while on GunBroker.

Unless you are shooting CAS, or just want to pay for the looks of a SxS, you will be better off with an O/U. Many more choices and a better gun for hitting clays and real birds.

If you are stuck on a SxS, look at the CZ doubles. Under $1000 and I have heard good reports on them
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    I have two old jc higgins sxs's. they are not pretty, but they are useable and fun.

I have been wanting to upgrade to a CZ though.

Boolit Master
    I have a Husqvarna double that was made in the 40’s. Bought it from Simpson’s a couple years ago for about $350, I think they imported a bunch of them from Sweden, along with other makes. It’s choked Full/Full but has 2-3/4” chambers and great bores.

Boolit Grand Master
    New, I'd go CZ. The Bobwhite is a pretty nice gun for the money. Used? There are a lot of them out there. Those Husqy's were a good deal, though some had the short 2 9/16 chambers
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

for what purpose ? - for field or defense useage a Savage/Stevens 311 or mdl. B can be found at reasonable prices in many gauges + configurations -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

I'd take a hard look at the CZ line, especially if you want a new gun. True, some of the older guns are good, but when you buy used you never know what it's been through.

DG

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    Who makes a descent double barrel a working man can afford no days? Say under $2000.
    Check out CZ.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master
    I haven't looked in a couple of years but CZ had some decent feeling guns, I just couldn't find the one I wanted.

IIRC there are two different grades/ models one was around $6-700, the other was about $5-600 more.

My biggest problem with any new shotgun is they all seem to come with choke tubes. Call me an old stick in the mud, but I really don't see the need for five or six different chokes for a double barreled shotgun.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

I would keep an eye out for a used Beretta. I picked up this 20 gauge Silver Hawk for $1200.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beretta.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	185.5 KB 
ID:	312753
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    Parker

If you don’t mind used look for an Ithaca or Fox.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    If you don’t mind used look for an Ithaca or Fox.
    Oh Boy... the eldest has a Stevens Fox...Yea Not the same... But in .410 it is the berries...awesome IMO

Boolit Buddy
    There are quite a few Merkels floating around for well under 2k. Good solid guns, and quite a bit lighter than the newer guns are.

Boolit Master
    I'm leaning real hard twards a CZ Bobwhite 12ga. My only shotgun is a 28ga Ruger Red Label and I'm stuck on a side x side for nostalgia. I keep reading mostly good things about the CZ, but it seems that there are a bunch of Stogers being used in CAS with no issues, although most are quite utilitarian looking and feeling too me.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by curdog007 View Post
    There are quite a few Merkels floating around for well under 2k. Good solid guns, and quite a bit lighter than the newer guns are.
    Curdog,

Please let me know where the sub $2k Merkels are!!!!

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

If you have Academy stores in Tennessee, check out the Yildiz shotguns.
    Made in Turkey (like the CZ). I have one of their SxS 20 gauge doubles. Lightweight, great balance, beautiful walnut. Around $500 or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Simpsons ltd.com, has a large selection of used European side by sides used at very reasonable prices. I saw a very clean Merkel go for $595 the other day. Most of their doubles are fixed chokes, no screw ins. A lot of them are choked full/full.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast