Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In the Market for a Side x Side

If you have a 2 K budget you have a really large choice of guns from old classics to newer guns with screw in chokes. I think it would be all about the look and feel and gauge for what you intend to use it for. A fine fitting SXS is as good as it gets for most hunting in my opinion. Don’t buy one until it is just what you want.
    Jedman

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    I'm leaning real hard twards a CZ Bobwhite 12ga. My only shotgun is a 28ga Ruger Red Label and I'm stuck on a side x side for nostalgia. I keep reading mostly good things about the CZ, but it seems that there are a bunch of Stogers being used in CAS with no issues, although most are quite utilitarian looking and feeling too me.
    Be wary of what CAS shooters are using. I have been out of the game for over 15 years but none of the top shooters (who shoot a lot of practice) used Stoegers. Most CAS shooters are weekend warriors of advanced age, who shoot one or two boxes of shells a week. For a hunting gun a low round count is normal. If you will be shooting some games, reliability becomes more important.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Not a SxS, but an over/under Stoeger Condor I bought for $300 around 2007. I have put at least 10 cases of target loads through it over a couple summers of shooting in a trap league. I also used ot hunt dove in sunflower fields in NE Kansas when we lived there—that was an awesome time.

I have never had 1 problem with it, I still occasionally use it to run off the starlings that pound our sweet corn in the garden every summer.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If you are interested in a new gun. Consider checking out Pedersoli, if they are available near you.

Boolit Master
    Bought a CZ Bobwhite G2.

Boolit Master
    I'm so impressed with the 12ga CZ Bobwhite, I have a 28g on the way to match my old Ruger Red Label in 28g.

Boolit Master
    I am a terrible wing shot but I, at one time, had an extensive collection of Baker shotguns. baker Gun & Forge, Batavia New York, was an excellent producer of shotguns. W H Baker was a prolific inventor. He was a partner in at least 4 shotgun factories, Baker G&F, L C Smith, Ithaca and Syracuse Arms. At least two of them should be familiar to folks. He usually supplied patents and ideas and others supplied $$$. He had patents for doubles, drillings and introduced the first single barreled trap gun to the public. He and his brother founded the Baker G&F company but W H died a short time later. The Baker G&F Co continued under the leadership of Ellis Baker and William Hollenbeck until 1918 when the gunmaking portion of the business was sold to H & D Folsom. (B G&F had a contract with the government to make forged tank parts.)

If I were looking for a shotgun, SxS or SBT, the first ones I would seek would be Baker, followed closely by L C Smith. But, I am merely a lousy wing shot who likes SxS shotguns!

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    Bought a CZ Bobwhite G2.
    Got pics?
    I think that you made a good choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My father bought a field grade, 12 ga. LC Smith while he was in the Navy, and before I was born. It's mine now, and I love it. There are several on Gunbroker right now, some in your price range and some penny auctions. Mine, of course, isn't among them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12