Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New scope for one of my old single shot rifles.

New scope for one of my old single shot rifles.

Finally the FH Souther rifle scope arrived today that I won at Amoskeag about 2 weeks ago! Amoskeag packed it beautifully, and it arrived in perfect condition! The auction pictures didn't do this scope justice, as it's better! But they also omitted the fact it came with the original canvas draw string bag inside the leather carrying case too!
    Optics are a very fine crosshair, and perfectly clear. The magnification appears to be around 12x-14x compared to other target scopes I own, and rear adjustments on the rings work perfectly. The focus knob on top of the objective is really as good as it gets for focusing! Just loosen the knob and slide the knob forward or back while looking through the scope to focus for distance. The little clamp up near the objective has a V notch to ensure the crosshairs are always vertical.
    Tickled pink with what arrived, and how nice it is! This will be going on one of my old Ballard-Schoyen schuetzen rifles.

Boolit Grand Master

Once again I am envious!!!!!!!!!
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Once again I am envious!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks!
    I really got lucky as these aren't marked, and Amoskeag described it as "unmarked and unknown maker". When I saw it I just hoped nobody would know what it was, and I might win it!
    Not sure what happened, but I was a little suspicious that it ended at exactly my maximum bid. But since I didn't bid anywhere near what it's worth I am still very pleased. Just a little odd that it stopped at my max.

Boolit Master
    A superb score, Vall. I for one would like to see a pic of it sitting atop a Shoyen Ballard.

What time period were these scopes made? I confess to much ignorance about Souther scopes.

Boolit Grand Master

That would be the perfect scope for the Ballard. I have a Unertl 6X on my 219 Donaldson Wasp Sharps-Borchardt and it just looks right.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    A superb score, Vall. I for one would like to see a pic of it sitting atop a Shoyen Ballard.

What time period were these scopes made? I confess to much ignorance about Souther scopes.
    No reason to feel bad about not knowing much about Souther scopes. They are one of the best kept secrets around today. Back in the 1920's when Souther decided to build his scope he simply put an ad in the American Rifleman stating he was offering rifle scopes. No description, or pictures, or even a price! That was spring of 1927, and later in the year he took out another advertisement with pictures, and descriptions.
    FH Souther worked at American Optical, and was asked by a friend if he could build a rifle scope for him. Souther put one together, and his friend used it in his next match, and quickly others at the gun club asked Souther to make scopes for them also.
    Souther had a local machinist build the tubes to his specs, and he bought mounts from Lyman or others. None of his scopes were marked, which has also made it tough to learn much about Souther, with no examples showing who built these scopes.
    I fortunately have a good friend who also collects old rifle scopes, and I saw his Souther long ago. I figured I'd never find one I could afford if the seller knew what it was. But this was from Andy Zornacky's estate, and not identified. I bet Andy knew what he had, but like many collectors and owners, most don't keep records, or prices for their stuff.
    I have two old Wm. Malcolm short tube scopes also, and they were previously at the top of my personal favorites. But the Souther scope is more rare, and extremely high quality, especially for the era. Both Niedner and Mann spoke of the Souther scopes in high regard, and Niedner had several on his personal rifles. He said they were the finest rifle scopes ever made!

Boolit Grand Master
    Well Vall, you never cease to impress. I don’t remember ever hearing of FD Souther and his scopes. (I’ve heard of JD Souther, but he made music, not scopes. ). The time frame you cite was one of great scope development though, and there are probably a couple more such hidden geniuses out there who deserved more credit than they got. I thought Litschert was obscure! Congratulations on knowing what to look for and getting it.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Well Vall, you never cease to impress. I don’t remember ever hearing of FD Souther and his scopes. (I’ve heard of JD Souther, but he made music, not scopes. ). The time frame you cite was one of great scope development though, and there are probably a couple more such hidden geniuses out there who deserved more credit than they got. I thought Litschert was obscure! Congratulations on knowing what to look for and getting it.

Froggie
    Thanks Charlie!
    Souther is likely the most obscure name in fine scopes, and likely because he didn't mark his scopes. So when one shows up people who don't recognize his work don't know who made them. Sidle is almost as obscure, and another great scope maker from the early years of target scopes. But his are marked, and easier to identify. I don't have a Sidle yet, but hope to find one someday.

Both classic & classy!
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Froggie
    Thanks Charlie!
    Souther is likely the most obscure name in fine scopes, and likely because he didn't mark his scopes. So when one shows up people who don't recognize his work don't know who made them. Sidle is almost as obscure, and another great scope maker from the early years of target scopes. But his are marked, and easier to identify. I don't have a Sidle yet, but hope to find one someday. There's one on Ebay now, but missing the front mount and rear mount is for an old lever action rifle. Way too expensive at $900 without good target style mounts.

Nice find, it is great to find something no one else recognizes. It is part of the price you pay getting the experience to know what you are looking at.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    Nice find, it is great to find something no one else recognizes. It is part of the price you pay getting the experience to know what you are looking at.
    Since the auction was part of Andy Zornacky's collection, I was afraid some of the guys at ASSRA (where the link was posted) might know what the scope was, and it could go many times higher! But fortunately the obscurity of the Souther scopes was in my favor. And the fact they didn't know it was one of Souther's high magnification scopes also helped!

I know nothing about those old scopes but it sure looks neat!
    Like something out of an old Eastwood movie, like Joe Kidd.

Boolit Grand Master
    "Don't keep us in suspenders"... what rifle is it going on? Inquiring minds...

"Don't keep us in suspenders"... what rifle is it going on? Inquiring minds...
    My Ballard #6 Schuetzen Schoyen rifle. Haven't dug it out of the safe yet to see how it fits, and make sure the objective bell doesn't interfere with elevation.

Had to pull the rear scope base off my Schoyen Ballard and stone it down a bit as the rear ring wouldn't slide over the base. But a little stoning and checking made it slide on fine.

Boolit Buddy
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

Boolit Grand Master
    Awesome. Somehow I just knew you’d have just the right Ballard for that scoped to be perched upon! How about a range report? That combination just has to be a winner.

Awesome. Somehow I just knew you’d have just the right Ballard for that scoped to be perched upon! How about a range report? That combination just has to be a winner.
    This Schoyen-Ballard has a less than minty bore, but has shot groups of around 1.5"-2" off a rest with the iron sights on it. So hoping the Souther scope will maybe reduce those groups a little more. We'll see anyway.

Oh my... that is a pretty rifle that was just made even more beautiful. Very nice indeed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast