Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lyman Tru Line Jr FL sizing die in 310 tool?

Boolit Bub

Lyman Tru Line Jr FL sizing die in 310 tool?

I was very excited to find a 45 ACP die set on ebay and verified that it was all ACTUALLY 45 ACP. I got the set in today, and I noticed that it has a full length sizing die.

Is it possible to back that die out enough to neck size in a 310 tool? I know I can't use the 310 tool to actually full length size...

Boolit Grand Master
    Maybe, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Robert

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    310 Dies work just fine in the Tru Line Jr . Tru Line dies do not work in the 310 worth spit. Ask Green Frog how it turned out for him.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Buddy
    I have a set of Truline Jr dies in 222 Magnum that has a full length sizing die. Didn't even know they made a full length zizer until I ran across these. It probably would work in the Truline Jr, but I felt more comfortable putting it in the Rockchucker with an adapter.

Boolit Master
    If your hands are strong enough maybe as you work the die in a little at a time back and forth but I would use the adapter and use in press. If you need one ask I have a few around.

Say for you only... shipping and a few bucks for one.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I highly doubt that it will work. The only way to know is to try it - BUT - try it in increments - lube the casing and take measurements. As someone else suggested - my inclination would be, that if I really wanted to use the die, use it with an adapter in a single stage press. If you enjoy using the310 tools - you could just skip the FL sizing step with the 310 and full length size in a standard 45 cap FL sizing dies and then use the 310 tool to do the rest of the steps. sI've done that many times with the 310 sets I have -whether pistol or rifle cartridges. Of course with bottleneck rounds - I normally FL the brass in a standard die and after they are fired in the rifle (and designated for that particular rifle), I use the 310 neck sizing dies - the same for my straight wall pistol rounds.

The only rimless semi-auto cartridges I reload are the .380 and the 9mm - and I don't have sets for them. Congrats on your acquisition of a set of 45 acp dies - let us know how they work out for you as I've always wondered how finicky they are to get adjusted with the tongs. Good luck and have fun!

Boolit Grand Master
    I used to try to find a FL sizer to add to each set of my 310 dies (pistol caliber). That way I could use the same set in the 310 tons as intended and get more use out of the same die set in my TruLine Jr press. It would probably be too expensive and frustrating to do this today.
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Bub
    I received the dies the day I was leaving on vacation. I should have a chance to try the dies out in 3-4 days ( I hope ). My plan is to adjust the die so that it does little or nothing to the case, then see if I can adjust the die in a tiny bit at a time to see if it works. If not, I'll back the die body out far enough that it doesn't touch at all and see if I can adjust the decapping stem out enough to decap a casing. I've already won a bit on a 45acp muzzle sizing die ( old style, no decapping pin ).

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sambeaux View Post
    I received the dies the day I was leaving on vacation. I should have a chance to try the dies out in 3-4 days ( I hope ). My plan is to adjust the die so that it does little or nothing to the case, then see if I can adjust the die in a tiny bit at a time to see if it works. If not, I'll back the die body out far enough that it doesn't touch at all and see if I can adjust the decapping stem out enough to decap a casing. I've already won a bit on a 45acp muzzle sizing die ( old style, no decapping pin ).
    Best of best worlds. You can use the TL Jr die as a Universal decapping die an use the MR at the proper time in the sequence, and if you do decide to load with a press, you can use the FL die as designed and the MR as a taper crimp die. Win-Win!
    Froggie

Boolit Master

I thionk it will work fine. You have a lot of adjustment thread. Try it and let us know.

Boolit Bub
    Alright! The next bit of excitement... The decapping die that I received is not threaded all the way down. I can't screw it into my 310 handles. It looks like it was made upside down? The open end of the die where the decapping pin protrudes is not threaded. The other end of the die, where the lock nut is, is threaded all the way. I'm now COMPLETELY at a loss... Do Tru-line JR dies screw in from the bottom?!

Boolit Master

Might need to see some pictures of that . No , Tru Line Jr dies screw in from the top just like any others.

Boolit Bub
    I hope this shows sufficient detail. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230425_132134.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	313363

Boolit Master

Never seen that before. If everything else is right about the die the threads could be extended on a lathe that will cut that thread.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Never seen that before. If everything else is right about the die the threads could be extended on a lathe that will cut that thread.
    I'm afraid that's beyond both my capabilities and my resources. I found another resizing die on Ebay for cheap.

Boolit Bub
    I have a similar die. I was told that the die was intended for the EZY Loader press. Apparently that press has a station that is only accessible from the bottom.

Boolit Grand Master
    Ding ding ding ding! Winnah winnah chicken dinnah! The die in question was used on the EZY-Loader, and Nothing Else!

Froggie

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Ding ding ding ding! Winnah winnah chicken dinnah! The die in question was used on the EZY-Loader, and Nothing Else!

Froggie
    Oh wow! I don't suppose anyone needs one of those in 45 ACP?

Boolit Bub
    Oh wow! I don't suppose anyone needs one of those in 45 ACP?
    I'll even put it back together for you... ( I scavenged it for parts ).

Boolit Master

I'll even put it back together for you... ( I scavenged it for parts ).
    Smart.