Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What size is shot "dust" and where can I get it

Boolit Master
    22 LR 'rat shot is #12, CCI 22 Mag shot uses #11, CCI 9mm, 40 S&W, 44 Spcl, 45 Colt, 45 ACP all come in #9, some in #4. I have loaded 44, 45, and 38 using #10. The #10 works well on rattlers as do the CCI #9. Sometimes the 22 LR take a second shot to really finish some snakes, but under 6 feet they work. Still, shooting at the head works best. Wife did kill a bunny at 8 ft with A CCI 44 #9. It caught the wads and all, eating a newly planted tomato stalk. Most of them not of much use past 10-12 feet.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Once I used 44 mag shot to kill some marten that were sneaking into my cabin at night. It didn’t damage much else, but really worked on them.

Boolit Buddy

I recommend that you review Outpost75's posts about the effectiveness of snake loads in popular pistol cartridges.
    Jim

I bought some irregular #11/#12 shot from a member here. I believe that it will work fine. This paper snake took 27hits(including the plug for the Speer .38 capsule) at ten feet.
    The pattern is starting to show gaps but a snake ten feet away doesn’t bother me. Unless it’s a Cottonmouth- then I’d better have a real shotgun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    No.12 was always called dust shot.
    It looks like dust when it hits anything hard and literally makes hamburger out of rats or snakes or anything else it hits
    The fact that its lead is what gives it the range.
    I can duplicate those results with uncooked rice at close range.

The .no12 lead shot is worth it when you find it.
    12 ga RIO SHOTSHELLS had been selling with no12 shot.
    A box of those will give you a great many loads for pistols.
    Wear eye protection.
    Richocettes are vicious
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 05-16-2023 at 11:48 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I bought some irregular #11/#12 shot from a member here. I believe that it will work fine. This paper snake took 27hits(including the plug for the Speer .38 capsule) at ten feet.
    The pattern is starting to show gaps but a snake ten feet away doesn’t bother me. Unless it’s a Cottonmouth- then I’d better have a real shotgun!

If it was not a pit viper or python I would not shoot it.
    With number 11 or 12 shot if that was a water moccasin it might still be capable of biting. I assume the large dark spots on the head are eyes and with a hit near an eye. The snake would likely only be badly wounded and might very well die from the wound but not anytime real, real soon.
    I usually get a little closer with gun at about 6 feet away and shoot to sort of anchor it and if it seems stunned get a little close and pulp the head.

Boolit Master
    I carry a Charter Arms .44 Bulldog with either #9 or #12 shot for snakes, and either will put a big hurt on most any native snake. Not sure I would shoot pythons in Florida with them but even the biggest rattlers or cottonmouths die pretty quickly. It's also no problem to double-tap the big ones if you feel like it's necessary.

Vendor Sponsor

#12 will work fine in short distance for snakes.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Man
    The chart on the Wikipedia page on Shot has all the sizes of shot including dust. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_(pellet) #12 and dust are different sizes.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    I carry a Charter Arms .44 Bulldog with either #9 or #12 shot for snakes, and either will put a big hurt on most any native snake. Not sure I would shoot pythons in Florida with them but even the biggest rattlers or cottonmouths die pretty quickly. It's also no problem to double-tap the big ones if you feel like it's necessary.
    I use .38 spl and can see a distinct advantage using the payload of a .44 on snakes.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    On our Giant Rats (pig barn rats) 7-1/2.. Overkill???? Maybe... drop em dead in their tracks??? Yup!!
    Snakes... IDK, Honestly...I never shot one... we don't gots mean/deadly snakes in my yard!!

Boolit Master
    Great Responses;

ALWAYS be sure to wear EYE Protection with ANY shot loads. BOUNCE BACK of pellets will Blind a shooter FOREVER! Be Safe!

Adam

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    Great Responses;

ALWAYS be sure to wear EYE Protection with ANY shot loads. BOUNCE BACK of pellets will Blind a shooter FOREVER! Be Safe!

Adam
    Likely an advantage to using the smaller shot in that bounce back momentum and energies are very minimal. I am always firing into the ground at a standing angle. I have never had any bounce back. I once has .22 cal round balls shot from a 140 crossman air rifle come back fast by me. I fired at a concrete block wall.

Quote Originally Posted by G W Wade View Post
    I hhave seen many reloading sources refer to #12 shot referred to as "dust". GW
    When I grew up that #12 shot is always called dust shot. At times #9 was too.This was many years ago.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

I cut a chicken snake in two with one shot then brained it with the next one.
    Range was two feet as it hid behind the dogs water bucket.
    About 5’ long before the gun fired.
    #11/12 shot, Speer capsule, .38 Special Rossi snubby.
    Tomorrow I’m kayaking the river;
    20 gauge Maverick pump for that trip!

[QUOTE=Texas by God;5600868]I cut a chicken snake in two with one shot then brained it with the next one.
    Range was two feet as it hid behind the dogs water bucket.
    About 5’ long before the gun fired.
    #11/12 shot, Speer capsule, .38 Special Rossi snubby.
    Tomorrow I’m kayaking the river;
    20 gauge Maverick pump for that trip!

Last time I did that I lost all my firearms, be careful out there.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    When my oldest daughter was 3 she was out on the porch and started yelling peacock poo on my shoes! truth was she had peacock poo all over her, and mom was not happy. The owner never did much to keep it at home after repeated requests. I decide I could train it to stay home with 22 rat shot. At ten feet the rat shot infected some pain but mostly just bounced off its feathers. It was getting where it would not let me get close and would run , but not all the way home just another spot in my yard. A sneak shot from the SGD at 40 feet killed it grave yard dead, much to my surprise. I buried it and covered up the fresh dirt with a piece of plywood. Later in the day all the baby peacocks were pecking at the plywood looking for mom. I wish I had film of the baby peacock round up. just a tale on how one bad decision can go down hill to many more.

Boolit Buddy

TomKat inquiring minds want to know if you ever had a chance to load any of the shot dust shot shells!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12