RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rem 783 dont shoot...

Rem 783 dont shoot...

Hello to all.
    I have a Remingtn 783 in .300 WM caliber. It is a great gun, shoot very well with my lead cartridges but...but...some days aga it started to not shoot. I changed the primer with LP thinking they are more soft but nothing...
    I disassembled the bolt and cleaned all, included the inner of the bolt body. After I measured the length of the striking pin spring and is about 5 inches...the question is how much may be long (as new) this spring?
    I have read somewhere that the problem moy be this. I precise thet this gus is more than 15 year old...
    I post some pics of the sping, of the strike on the primer and of the tip of the striker pin.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20230407_100346.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	312680

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Ciao
    Nino

Other pics...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20230407_100318.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	312681

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20230407_102329.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	312682

Boolit Master
    Looks a little too soft on hitting the primer.

First ? can you get a new spring?

Travel of firing pin before? Do you have any old brass that you can compare to brass now? Maybe damaged or regarded brass.

Last.... I said Last..... I would or at least the farmer in me would field fit it and stretch the spring and see if this helps.

Any room to add a spacer ... washers etc I'm trying to think of way you get get more pressure from the spring.
    Last edited by Teddy (punchie); 04-07-2023 at 07:38 AM.

Does the gun function with factory ammunition?

Boolit Man
    I had heard that this is not that uncommon of an issue in the 783. So I did the Google thing and it does sound like it can be an issue. I don’t have a solution to offer but maybe try Google to see if some has come up with a fix for you. Good luck.

FYI I have a 223 and to date have not had that problem. But that’s why I’m following this thread.

Boolit Master
    Had a similar problem with a Savage 110. Bought an extra powered firing pin spring from Wolfe and it solved my problem. Maybe they make one for your Remington.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Try a couple of factory cartridges.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

Silly question, but how is the tip of the firing pin? Any possibility it broke/wore down?

Boolit Master

I should add, I can't tell from the picture. I'm only on my phone right now.

Boolit Master
    Have you contacted Remington customer service?

If you haven't already then the first thing I would do is check for any loose hardware. Scope base.screws, scope rings, action screws. Then I'd ask myself if I've made any changes in my loads. Primers, sizing practices, dies, powder or charge and bullets. Then I'd swap the scope out with another. Are you positive you don't have a carbon or fouling build up. You need to look with a borescope. Patches won't tell you what you need to know. And while you are doing that take a very good look at the crown and make sure something hasn't damaged it somehow.

If you find nothing after going through those steps and checks then I would start thinking about things like a weak firing pin spring because unless I misread your post you are experiencing accuracy issues, not failure to fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy (punchie) View Post
    Looks a little too soft on hitting the primer.

First ? can you get a new spring? No I dont have but I can purchare one...if this is the problem...

Travel of firing pin before? Do you have any old brass that you can compare to brass now? Maybe damaged or regarded brass.The brass are shooted many times but the gun dont shoot also with once fired brass...

Last.... I said Last..... I would or at least the farmer in me would field fit it and stretch the spring and see if this helps. Yes, I thought about this solution but it would be a temporary thing...

Any room to add a spacer ... washers etc I'm trying to think of way you get get more pressure from the spring.
    As above...

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Try a couple of factory cartridges.
    I never used factory ammo on this caliber...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick L View Post
    Silly question, but how is the tip of the firing pin? Any possibility it broke/wore down?
    I think not...it looks intact...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick L View Post
    I should add, I can't tell from the picture. I'm only on my phone right now.
    Ok...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich/WIS View Post
    Have you contacted Remington customer service?
    Yes by Email...but no reply...

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    If you haven't already then the first thing I would do is check for any loose hardware. Scope base.screws, scope rings, action screws. Then I'd ask myself if I've made any changes in my loads. Primers, sizing practices, dies, powder or charge and bullets. Then I'd swap the scope out with another. Are you positive you don't have a carbon or fouling build up. You need to look with a borescope. Patches won't tell you what you need to know. And while you are doing that take a very good look at the crown and make sure something hasn't damaged it somehow.

If you find nothing after going through those steps and checks then I would start thinking about things like a weak firing pin spring because unless I misread your post you are experiencing accuracy issues, not failure to fire.
    My English is scholastic and therefore not very good but in my post I never complained about the lack of precision which, however, is excellent with my cast boolit and load of any hunting powder. The problem is that they don't fire the ammo...any ammo, with old or new brass.
    The scope has no problem...

Quote Originally Posted by iwottopq View Post
    My English is scholastic and therefore not very good but in my post I never complained about the lack of precision which, however, is excellent with my cast boolit and load of any hunting powder. The problem is that they don't fire the ammo...any ammo, with old or new brass.
    The scope has no problem...
    I apologize, I did not understand correctly.

So yes, the spring is a very good place to look unless you have changed primers recently. In my situation I changed primers but if factory ammunition doesn't fire either then there is a problem with the spring or maybe the firing pin.

Boolit Master
    Another thing to check. Is the bolt going fully into battery? I had a friend have a problem with his rifle suddenly having light primer strikes and failing to fire. There was a small obstruction in the locking lug preventing the bolt from fully closing. It was closed enough to allow the firing pin to fall but was preventing it from falling far enough to achieve ignition. If your issue started all at once, I'd explore this possibility.

Boolit Grand Master

Make sure your firing pin tip has not loosened. https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/g303837

Next would be finding a replacement firing pin spring. That will be the hard part. Generally springs are a contract item for companies like Remington. I don't know if Wolff made them or has the specs. If they ship to Italy? they may be able to help you out with winding a replacement, recommending a suitable sub. or who Remington purchase the 783 springs from? https://www.gunsprings.com/

The folks do custom springs https://www.acxesspring.com/gun-springs.html

The Remington 783 was introduced in 2013.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-08-2023 at 06:01 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast