Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Fireforming for headspace, subbing for CCI, % off max.

Fireforming for headspace, subbing for CCI, % off max.

Just a reality check. I am fireforming some brass on a 30-06 to set up shoulder set-back (these will then be 2X fired, and this load is considerably hotter than their first time through). Using Speer Hot Cor SNFP 150 grains, and IMR 4350. Speer's data, which calls for CCI 200 primers, has a range of 54-59.0 grains 4350. However I am using WW LR primers, trying to use up the last dozen or so WW's, as all the rest I have are CCI 200's (or Rem LRM). I loaded up 5 rounds at 58.4 grains I 4350, so backed off max by 0.6 grains.

Reasonable, or would you either load using CCI, or drop down further to a cooler load, e.g., mid-range at 57 or so?
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    That seems like a lot of gas just to fireform. Other than that, seems reasonable.

A common fire forming method to get Ackley Improved .30-06 brass without just shooting factory or reloaded .30-06s
    is use 10 gr. Bullseye, pack the case with corn meal up to the mouth, then put a cap of Elmer's glue on it.

It saves a few bucks worth of powder and bullets.

Do a quickie search for 'fire forming rifle brass'.
    Then get a sandwich and something to drink. A BUNCH of articles pop right up on the subject.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 04-04-2023 at 12:53 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Yeah, OK, you guys are right. I should just pull the bullets and reload like a sane person.

Thanks.
    -Paul

Yeah.

4350 is some rare and precious stuff these days. I'd use it as sparingly as possible.
    If you want target/cast ammo in .30-06, check out 'The Load'.
    It's 13 gr or Red Dot, and does real well with cast in .30-06.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Yeah.

4350 is some rare and precious stuff these days. I'd use it as sparingly as possible.
    If you want target/cast ammo in .30-06, check out 'The Load'.
    It's 13 gr or Red Dot, and does real well with cast in .30-06.
    Thanks Ed.
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    I second, "the load".
    If you are using a Push feed rifle especially...I would do Something to hold the case against the Boltface/Breach, .. or lube generously for proper fireforming.. If a strong extractor is used...TC, Mauser Pre64 Winchester... I don't worry much

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    I second, "the load".
    If you are using a Push feed rifle especially...I would do Something to hold the case against the Boltface/Breach, .. or lube generously for proper fireforming.. If a strong extractor is used...TC, Mauser Pre64 Winchester... I don't worry much
    It's a Savage 110. Unfortunately my gunsmithing is nil (outside of a sear job on my 45-70, I've done nothing on any of my weapons), so I don't know much about it. I do know some have complained about the Savages generally, with the OEM extractor. Thanks for the tip.

As much as I'd like to try The Load, I'm at the point where I have to work with the powders I have. In fact, some will likely stay on my shelves and seldom, if ever used - RL 22, Ramshot Hunter, IMR 4831 (I have since bought Hogdon 4831-SC). I actually have been fairly lucky getting the IMR 4350 and have a few pounds, but I've also got ample 3031 and I think I'll just do a mid-load using the 3031.
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    ^^^ I thought the Savage was fitted with a Barrel Nut, to actually Adjust headspace??? Why not go the Easy Route??

Boolit Master
    Not a big fan of FIRE FORMING for headspace, expand necks to .338 using a tapered Lee XPander (MidwayUSA - 2.99) in a Lee Decapper to open case neck. Use your 30-06 die, set sizing die so case just chambers with some pressure or interference, use 'normal' loads. Lubricate inside case necks before expanding (I use Hornady Unique lube on a Q-tip). Save the primers and powder for actual shooting. Maybe anneal after sizing, before shooting.

Boolit Master
    I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. If it is to simply 'fit' the cartridge to your chamber, then load up as normal and shoot. Even Ackley Improved is designed to be formed with full house loads. No reason to 'waste' primers these days.

FWIW, I have rebarreled two Savages and even after setting the new headspace I fire the first ones with near max loads to make sure everything is 'settled'. The next session I start the load development.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. If it is to simply 'fit' the cartridge to your chamber, then load up as normal and shoot. Even Ackley Improved is designed to be formed with full house loads. No reason to 'waste' primers these days.

FWIW, I have rebarreled two Savages and even after setting the new headspace I fire the first ones with near max loads to make sure everything is 'settled'. The next session I start the load development.
    Charlie, not sure I'm following you, but I think if I have you right, yes, I am wanting to get a full fill out in order to get an accurate base to bump the shoulder back. I've seen at least some folks suggest more than one firing, and my reasoning in going hot was, as you say, to "get everything settled." If you're talking about why I'm using WW primers, it's only because I have something like a dozen left and can't mix them in with regular runs, so this is a good time to use them.
    Last edited by huntinlever; 04-04-2023 at 10:54 PM.
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    Just as I gathered from your first post.

So, if not changing anything, just fire them. Hot load, med load, doesn't matter. I would not use a light load for this simply because of issues with light loads setting back shoulders (which is why some enlarge flash holes).

Use up those odd primers. If you're just fireforming the primer choice is irrelevant.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

I would submit that if you've already shot them once in that chamber with standard pressure range '06 loads and are neck-sizing, your forming work is done.

If you're trying to get the most solid reference point of where your chamber's shoulder actually is, you should consider annealing some of your case necks and shoulders with a few seconds under a propane torch. This will take some of the springback qualities of work-hardening out of your brass and give you the most accurate "molding".

But what you really need is one of these: https://www.rcbs.com/case-processing...n-mic/564.html
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.