WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple Finance Software

Boolit Master

Simple Finance Software

My wife passed away early March. Just prior to that my "checkbook" program self destructed. It apparently had not been backing up according to schedule for quite awhile.

These two things have left me needing to get back to keeping track of spending, which bills have been paid and how much I've charged on the credit card. I figure that, in addition to expertise in casting & shooting, this group also had well informed members that also are knowledgeable in keeping track of their money. With her pension and Social Security no longer coming in, I have to start depending in large part on mandatory withdrawals from the IRA's. At 80 years old, my primary concern is preserving as much as possible to pass on to the sons when I am gone. That won't take much sacrifice on my part as I don't need much, having pretty well satisfied my wants, gun/reloading wise, over the years. But right now, with bills from her hospital/cancer treatment coming in, I'm flying blind as far as up to date data.

To cut this short, I would appreciate input and recommendations for a program to keep track of things. I'm leaning toward Mint right now but only based on what I read online. If that were confirmed by this group, I would feel more comfortable trying it.

I'm not interested in any investing abilities of a program.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    My wife passed away early March. Just prior to that my "checkbook" program self destructed. It apparently had not been backing up according to schedule for quite awhile.

These two things have left me needing to get back to keeping track of spending, which bills have been paid and how much I've charged on the credit card. I figure that, in addition to expertise in casting & shooting, this group also had well informed members that also are knowledgeable in keeping track of their money. With her pension and Social Security no longer coming in, I have to start depending in large part on mandatory withdrawals from the IRA's. At 80 years old, my primary concern is preserving as much as possible to pass on to the sons when I am gone. That won't take much sacrifice on my part as I don't need much, having pretty well satisfied my wants, gun/reloading wise, over the years. But right now, with bills from her hospital/cancer treatment coming in, I'm flying blind as far as up to date data.

To cut this short, I would appreciate input and recommendations for a program to keep track of things. I'm leaning toward Mint right now but only based on what I read online. If that were confirmed by this group, I would feel more comfortable trying it.

Sorry for your loss. I am 73. I keep all my money issues in a handwritten ledger, do not like electronic bookkeeping, don't trust electronic bookkeeping, I take in X amount of money every month, put some in savings, pay bills, almost all my expenditures are on my credit card, so credit card gets paid in full every month, I use their money for free, then if any money is left, then I can think about new stuff. I was taught to be responsible for myself. Best wishes in your such.
    Any auto with drawls are posted to my credit card only... So all expense's are listed in the same place for me to keep track of...
    Last edited by BLAHUT; 04-03-2023 at 07:12 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Mint does a good job of keeping track of on line accounts. I pay bills through my bank and don't recall if Mint does that for you or not. I really detest quicken and it's fees and reoccurring crashes.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I don't want any online program to pay bills. I authorize all utilities to draw on my checking account and pay others by individual authorization for each bill out of the checking account. I religiously entered all automatic withdrawals and checks(there aren't many) as well as credit card charges in the former program. As BLAHUT mentioned, I pay most expenditures by credit card and pay the balance each month.

I insist on a paper statement each month from everybody. My memory is getting to be suspect and I want to see each account on paper, no matter if they contact me 100 times encouraging me to go "paperless". That is to their advantage, not mine.

I agree with MT Gianni about Quicken. I tried it over 20 years ago and didn't like it for the same reasons. I think I'll try Mint. It sounds like just what I need. I'm pretty confident it won't have to last 20 years.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

Retired now, after 40-years in the engineering business, I know that either LibreOffice Calc (freeware from the Net) or MicroSoft Excel are spreadsheet programs that you set up any way you want and self-load your individual data. If you are not already familiar, learning a spreadsheet cannot be any more, or less, difficult than a "canned" financial program, which is suspect to be based in spreadsheet technology.

Also, as we age, consider hiring a CPA for your month-to-month financial requirements. For a fee, and an ease to your headache, they will aggregate your spending (get their arms around), attend to the routine and customary (gather and pay bills), and map your financial future.

OR

If you are going to leave what is left to them anyway, why not let your kids take that responsibility and burden off of your mind?

Going "paperless" for Checking, Savings, Credit Card, Mortgage, Utilities, Phone, etc., has advantages. You login to each account and download your monthly digital statement in Excel (*.csv = comma separated values) spreadsheet or PDF format, from which data is easily copied into a spreadsheet. You take charge of the manipulation of your data.

You can set reminders in a Scheduling program that assist you in who to pay and when. The Scheduler, together with routine and customary (every month) statements including deposits requires programming.

Everything is IMPOSSIBLE the first time. The whole "process" becomes easier as you become familiar with the routine, just like learning a financial program or a spreadsheet. They do not load themselves. Nothing is free. Everything comes with the pain of struggling through a Learning Curve.
    Last edited by Land Owner; 04-04-2023 at 06:14 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

The question is always one of time. How much time do you have to work on it?

Paper takes the most time. But it's right there in front of you and it's not going to crash. Also, in order for someone to steal it, they have to break into your house.

Mint takes the least time but it requires that you let them log in to all of your accounts. That means they have your usernames and passwords for checking/savings, credit cards, etc. But it's on line, it's allegedly very secure and you don't have to do much data entry, really except for cash that you may spend. Nice program.

Spreadsheets like excel are good if you have a basic knowledge of how to use them. For me, it's less time than paper, more time than, say, Mint.

Personally, I get on line every day and review all transactions on my bank accounts and credit cards. It's all in my face so I can stay tuned and see if any shenanigans are going on.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    Retired now, after 40-years in the engineering business, I know that either LibreOffice Calc (freeware from the Net) or MicroSoft Excel are spreadsheet programs that you set up any way you want and self-load your individual data. If you are not already familiar, learning a spreadsheet cannot be any more, or less, difficult than a "canned" financial program, which is suspect to be based in spreadsheet technology.

Also, as we age, consider hiring a CPA for your month-to-month financial requirements. For a fee, and an ease to your headache, they will aggregate your spending (get their arms around), attend to the routine and customary (gather and pay bills), and map your financial future.

OR

If you are going to leave what is left to them anyway, why not let your kids take that responsibility and burden off of your mind?

Going "paperless" for Checking, Savings, Credit Card, Mortgage, Utilities, Phone, etc., has advantages. You login to each account and download your monthly digital statement in Excel (*.csv = comma separated values) spreadsheet or PDF format, from which data is easily copied into a spreadsheet. You take charge of the manipulation of your data.

You can set reminders in a Scheduling program that assist you in who to pay and when. The Scheduler, together with routine and customary (every month) statements including deposits requires programming.

Everything is IMPOSSIBLE the first time. The whole "process" becomes easier as you become familiar with the routine, just like learning a financial program or a spreadsheet. They do not load themselves. Nothing is free. Everything comes with the pain of struggling through a Learning Curve.
    As a retired CPA, if you need to go the route of paying someone, get a local public accountant. Lot cheaper as you do not need the CPA for basic bookkeeping. I would go the free spreadsheet route myself as that is what I do every month recording my checking account. Up to the minute account balance reconciliation. Think my software is the Libre office ofv the top of my head. I can check if you want the name.
    Ron

Boolit Master
    As I enter retirement, I view finances this way: if I need software to track my bills and expenditures I have not sufficiently simplified my living arrangement. Now that is not to say a spreadsheet would not be helpful but rather I'm referring to something like Quicken that delves into every angle of my life, gaining access to all my accounts and (hopefully) securing my data in some cloud.

Boolit Master
    All my bills except my water bill are paid directly from my checking account. My bank account is easily checked on my computer and I also get a notification in my e-mail when my debit card is used. My water company is not set up for auto payment so once a month I have to drop them a check, not a big deal as the office is only a few miles away. I remember the "good old days" when every month was writing and mailing checks and I don't miss it. Bank still sends a monthly paper statement for confirmation of electronic payments/deposits.

Boolit Buddy
    Long story short, a paper system has bailed out more than a few "folks" (business owners), from "mom&pop" to very large ones when their digital system failed! I use a very simple "checking" program to verify my payments (NOTHING online). While the digital schemes are valuable to some, if not many, paper and pencil does work when the electricity is gone. A paper "ledger" can be the ubiquitous notebook!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Man
    I use an open-source, free program called HomeBank. http://homebank.free.fr/en/
    It will run on Windows, MacOS, or even linux if you like. I just use it for my home checking account so nothing too difficult. I import statements that I download from my bank for reconciliation, but there is nothing in here that automatically pays bills for you. I do pay all the bills I can online, but not through automatic payments as I have been stung my share of times on failed cancellations and slick auto-renewals. I have used this software for about five years. It isn't fool proof, but it gets the job done.

She handles the bank and bills. That way I can gripe at her for mistakes, which don't often happen. No online banking access unless needed. The bills are what they are, not much chance to change anything.
    Whatever!

I think I would start out with pen and paper before moving onto to a computer based system.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post

alamogunr -- my sincere condolences on your loss! I do most all "banking", and what has worked for me is to type -- on computer -- the regular "monthlies"-- cellular telephone bill, two credit cards, natural gas, water/sewer, trash, etc., each in a box with "predicted date" bill comes, and its disposition -- e.g., I write in the date in that box, and which share draft account I employed, et cetera. This on one page, of which I printed a dozen copies -- a years' supply . We get three different tax bills here (village, town/county, and school tax) and I have boxes for these, but they're only germane in January (town), June (Village) and September (School tax). PLUS, I have auto insurance due in January, followed by Homeowner's in February.
    Having a printed sheet with the expected bills is a HUGE plus, and I have a few added boxes for extras. I am a firm believer of not giving/paying as much as a penny's interest to cred cards, too.
    Vis the cheque-books, the best thing I did was to enroll in bank's on-line access program. I have not "balanced" (with their paper statements or similar) a share draft account in years! Generally, most mornings I click on their site and it is simple to see their balance and mine are in sync! I ADD a column to my check-book register where I write in the date a cheque clears. VERY simple and easy; and, even for a dummy like me, relatively fool-proof.
    A real added benefit is YOU are in control, and no one else (big brother or sister) has access to your personal finances!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ck bk.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	312584 In thee picture you can see the added column where I write in the date cheque clears bank. As insurance premium ($208.98) and a bill from my hearing aid people ($9.95) have, as of this morn, not.
    Just what I do....
    geo

Boolit Master
    I have intentionally kept our bookkeeping simple, the way we have always done it. With our checkbook and two sets of credit card statements I can find and account for any expense. I started paying a few recurring bills online from my checking account several months ago, and I balance my checkbook with the online statement every month. A couple of recurring charges I wouldn't want to miss are on credit card autopay. A couple of other monthly bills I pay by phone with CC. I keep credit card receipts and reconcile my two monthly statements every month. It may not sound like it but its very simple.

Boolit Buddy
    For the checking account using Excel is easy. And keeps one from having to do the math for balancing it.

As for anything on your PC/laptop: back-ups, back-ups, back-ups. Saved me a few times when the 'ole hard drive went out.

For immediate back-up just get a couple-of-gig thumb drive. Takes just but a moment to copy the newly changed files over to it.

For whole hard drive backup, a USB based hard drive is great. Plug it in, copy all of the new files over, and unplug it. Then put it away. I do this weekly.

45_Colt

Some accounting firms use specific bookkeeping software that they can read directly from a CD or thumb drive to do your taxes from, you can keep your accounts on the saftware, does not need to be on-line you might ask your accountant. Depends on how you file and how much accounting you need to do.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    I have intentionally kept our bookkeeping simple, the way we have always done it. With our checkbook and two sets of credit card statements I can find and account for any expense. I started paying a few recurring bills online from my checking account several months ago, and I balance my checkbook with the online statement every month. A couple of recurring charges I wouldn't want to miss are on credit card autopay. A couple of other monthly bills I pay by phone with CC. I keep credit card receipts and reconcile my two monthly statements every month. It may not sound like it but its very simple.
    This, basically, is what I was doing with the program that crashed. It is what I anticipate doing if I go with Mint. The only difference is that I had been doing it for about 15 years. Was not difficult and didn't take that much time.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    I use Microsoft Money Plus.
    It's free but not supported by Microsoft anymore.
    Here:
    https://money-plus-sunset-deluxe.en....?ex=DINS-635.2

I can download my checking, savings, charge card activity from my bank accounts into the program.
    It will automatically back-up your money file on exit.
    It also can make reports of categories you choose, such as Chariatble deductions, Medical Expenses, etc. for the end of the year tax purposes.
    Check it out, it's free.
    1A - 2A = -1A

Boolit Master

I used Microsoft Money many years ago. When they quit supporting it, I dropped it. It was a good program but the Microsoft name left me more than a little cold. I suppose the "sunset" in the name now is apt since it was cut loose.
    John
    W.TN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast