Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Today It Happened… a Ruger #3

Boolit Grand Master

Today It Happened… a Ruger #3

OK, for several years I’ve speculated on how wonderful it would be to own and shoot a Ruger #3 Carbine in 327 Fed Mag. At a gun show this weekend I did well enough to take the first step. I purchased a shooter grade #3 in 223 Remington.

I don’t know a lot of details about them, my only personal experience with a #3 was decades ago and I’ve had time to forget a lot. First I’d like to know whether a ca 1980 example would have come from the factory with an adjustment screw in the upper curve of the trigger shoe? Also, I’d love to know about any caliber changes folks have done. I’m especially interested in what had to be done about extractors

By way of history, I once owned a Ruger #1 that had been rebarreled from 22-250 to 32-40. It was built for Schuetzen by Bud Welch and was quite good, but at the time, I was pretty well committed to my 32-40 high wall, so it went away. I don’t know whether the trigger on that one was original, but I don’t remember a screw in the trigger shoe of that one.

I’m casting a wide net at this point. I’d like to hear from anyone with experience or history with the Ruger Number 3. Anybody wanna help me out?

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    I had bought a #3 in 45-70 just for the action. It is now a 50-70 gov't with a 28" octagon barrel. The wood was replaced with a #1 stock set. A local gun smith (Taylor Machine) did the conversion work. It's a real hoot to shoot! Probably not what you are looking for but? I have another #3 again in 45-70 that is being restocked with a #1 buttstock. That on my turn into a 38-55 down the road, we'll see. Fun little guns. Good luck with your project.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a #3 that was born a 223 Rem. but wasn't all that for accuracy ,it took a trip to Jess in Oregon and became a 350 Legend now it shoots a 280 gr. paper patched bullet and will do 1 in. groups all day if I do my part . best re bore I ever had done.

The earlier ones had those trigger adjustment screws. It's a good thing to have them. The extractor you have should work fine for 327 fed mag. They are spring loaded and cover a wide range of case head sizes. It should just take a barrel change and you'll be in business. Enjoy!

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like a great option! I'm a big 32 fan. Please keep us posted.

Boolit Buddy
    The Number 3 NEVER came with the 3-screw adjustable trigger. From the start, Ruger put only the 2-screw (spring tension and overtravel) trigger in these. So, if you want a nice trigger (i.e. adjustable for sear engagement), you'll probably have to get one of the aftermarket examples, or find an older 3-screw No. 1 trigger; they show up often on ebay, etc.

I've owned a several No. 3s over the years, and sold my last original one last year. I do have two custom rifles built using the No. 3 action. One is a 222 Rem. that J.K. Cloward worked on, but that was missing a lot of parts and was unfinished. It is nice and shoots very well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#3CustomFinished.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	312537

The other has had a No. 1 barrel attached, that was originally a 7mm Mag, then relined by Steve Durren to 32-20. A fun and accurate rifle. I also used No. 1S wood, and have plans to put some custom wood on it.

Name:	#3 custom 32-20.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	312538

Boolit Buddy
    gewehrfreund: does the #1 in your second photo have a folded down receiver sight, and, if so, how did you mount it?

Froggie, I sold my #3 40 years ago, all I remember is a really clunky stock. I like the thought these guys have of using #1 wood. Also, not knowing what you are doing about a barrel but I don't think a rebore will work. 223 case being bigger diameter than .327 But a longer, thinner octagon barrel seems better to me anyway.
    Have fun building it. I know you will have fun when it is done.
    Dennis

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, I’ve gotten it home now and had time to look at it in the daylight. There’s a bit more blue wear than I thought on the barrel, no bare spots or browning, but it is thin. The scope is a lower priced BSA (which I knew going in) and I’ll probably end up changing that out. As for the stock, part of the reason I wanted a #3 was for the carbine sized stock and barrel. I’ve seen several “Number 2s” with a #1 stock added to a #3 with attractive results. Steve Durren did a nice build I used to see at the ASSRA Nationals, for instance. The only thing I didn’t like was how cramped the lever became when used with a pistol grip. Has anyone here tried to heat and reshape one of these levers?

My current plan is to take it out and shoot it as is, just to see how it feels, then start shopping a barrel job around. I have a new young gunsmith here I may give a crack at it, otherwise I’ll have to send it off to one of the established single shot gunsmiths. Now that Durren has retired I’ll have to dig a little deeper. I don’t know how Taylor feels about Rugers?

Froggie

This is my #13, a #3 with #1 wood, #1 barrel and #1 extractor, changed from a cobbed up 22 Hornet barrel to a 7 mm Rem Mag shoots sub 1/2". Bought it for the action. Ruger used to sell the extractors, Eben Arthur Brown EBCO also used to sell triggers, but sounds like your #3 has had a trigger change.
    You glass bed and free float the barrel by mounting the for-end on the hanger, then shorten the scope rail so it does not touch the action.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CED8B2E6-3C64-41B5-A10C-E6EF59B07750.jpg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Name:	DSCN0858.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	312549 i bought this ruger #3 in 45-70 some time ago and was going to rebarrel it to 7mm08, but decided to shoot it first and boy am i glad i did. this 3 shot group was shot at 100 yards with a 300 gr hornady bullet with 50 grs h-4895 and a older 1.75-6x leupold scope. rifle is straight factory stock, with odd barrel band. i have killed a boat load of game with it over the years.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gunther View Post
    gewehrfreund: does the #1 in your second photo have a folded down receiver sight, and, if so, how did you mount it?
    It's actually a #2 (#3 action, #1S barrel and wood), and no, it does not have a receiver sight. I've seen Ruger single shots that have been D&T on the side of the receiver for an aperture sight (Williams used to make one specifically for the it), and even some high end custom guns with a tang sight fixed into the safety slot. But since NECG came out with their aperture sight that mounts right on the Ruger scope base, there's no need to finagle one for it.

Moderator Emeritus

Beware of the take it out and shoot it plan. I have a couple of Encore barrels I bought for a rebore that I made other plans after shooting them.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    I'll second the "Don't shoot the donor rifle" plan. It never works out well for preshoot plans.

I'll check my No.3 trigger tonight, I think it is from the late seventies.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Beware of the take it out and shoot it plan. I have a couple of Encore barrels I bought for a rebore that I made other plans after shooting them.
    I had considered that, but I’ve already got plenty of 223s (1) and I don’t I’ll ever have enough 32s. Can you imagine being able to shoot everything from 32 S&W(“short”) and 32 ACP up through Long, H&R and 327 FM from one carbine? I’m beginning to salivate just thinking of it! Where’s my bib?
    Froggie

Boolit Buddy
    The reason I asked gewehrfreund about a receiver sight revolves around one of those custom #1's a friend had built in 32 40. It showed up in Gun
    Digest some years ago. It featured a tang sight that bridged the safety. In envy, I found a #1 in 338wm, hoping to convert it to 38 55. Made the mistake of shooting it with cast first, and, oops, it's a keeper. The addition of a Ruger front sight banded ramp from Brownells, and a Lyman 17 sight on top of that took care of one end and an Enfield rear sight with homemade clamp blocks for the Ruger quarter rib did the other. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the rear sight to become a fold-down. That's the fun of it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Mr Gunther, shooting a 338 is never a mistake! It’s simply a modernized version of the rebored 32-40s done by Harry Pope and others to 33-40 or similar. They won a lot of prizes in single shot rifles back in the day. If your particular #1 shoots well in that caliber, it would be a shame to change it.

Froggie

The No.3 is my favorite rifle I'll ever own.

Boolit Grand Master
    OK Mr Cheer, don’t leave us hanging. Tell us about the (wildcat?) 38 Long Cox. Is it based on the 30-30 case or is it something bigger? It looks kinda like a 25-20 WCF on a lot of growth hormones. BTW, is that a #1 fore arm or is it custom as well? Inquiring minds…

I’m wondering how there are any original configuration #3s left. They are such great donor guns to build people’s pet customs. Originally Ruger sold #1 bare actions for the custom rifle crowd. I think their lawyers made them quit, but wouldn’t it be great if they would sell a no frills #3 action for those of us with dreams of greatness?

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    Froggie, I checked my No 3 last night. It does have the two screws in the trigger as depicted in the downloadable owner's manual. No luck on the date of manufacture, I got a big fat "we can't find it" from the Ruger website.

Mine is still factory original, albeit with a big honking steel block (greatly resembles a small brick) for a front scope base. Redfield IIRC.

Oh yeah, its a .22 Hornet.

Robert

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast