WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: How picky is Rem 7400 about loads?

How picky is Rem 7400 about loads?

I am contemplating buying a 7400, just to have a 3006 semi in the herd. Since I handload 100% of my ammo I wonder if I would have to stick with the standard factory load for the 7400 or will it eat mild and hot loads equally.
    Remarks by President Biden on the Hostage Situation at Congregation Beth Israel in Colleyville, Texas, January 16, 2022:
    "But you can’t stop something like this if someone is on the street buying something from somebody else on the street."

I have a 7400 in .243 and have the same question? RCBS makes small base dies for a reason, I use them for 5.56 handloads....

Boolit Buddy
    In the past I my friend owned a 30-06 Rem 740. Replacing a broken extractor is a pain according to him. Also, no heavy loads in a 740/7400 if I remember correctly. The Hornady light magnums are too much for them (says so on the box). Light loads such as cast boolits around 1800-2000 fps should be okay for cycling but if you go too light you may have problems cycling and ejecting them. Personally I prefer the 760-7600 pump models.

Boolit Master
    Mine was closer to a single shot than a semi auto. I would function semi reliably with Remington 150 grain PSPs. any thing else was a crap shoot. Good luck, idf really wanted a 30-06 semi I would be looking at a Browning.

Boolit Master
    not picky at all.They all shoot basket ball sized groups..one jam at a time. we call the jam o matics down south

Boolit Master
    I have a number of them. You need a small base die when reloading for them. Mine shoot 150gr to 220gr no problem. Not a real accurate shooting gun. Will put meat on the table. Keep in mind, I have been told there are no replacement parts for them ?? I like mine, if presented at a good price I would purchase more of them..

I watched a few Youtube vids on 7400, and many owners notice very low recoil for the caliber. It seems that it drains too much into the gas piston, so the velocity is going to be mediocre. This is how it probably works well with all sorts of loads.

Like this one etc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_JDwFdnJRw
    Remarks by President Biden on the Hostage Situation at Congregation Beth Israel in Colleyville, Texas, January 16, 2022:
    "But you can’t stop something like this if someone is on the street buying something from somebody else on the street."

Boolit Buddy
    Known locally as jammatics..............forget that junk and buy a Browning instead.

Truly, reliability is a MAJOR issue with the things. In brief had friends with 'em and I have yet to see one that functioned reliably. ID: brand new .280-, first day deer season jammed on first shot. .270 ripped extractor out when snap shot attemped on running deer. .06, back to then then Rem. factory no less than three times for repair....never did get that gun to function........and on and on and on!

Boolit Buddy
    Known locally as jammatics..............forget that junk and buy a Browning instead.

Truly, reliability is a MAJOR issue with the things. In brief had friends with 'em and I have yet to see one that functioned reliably. IE: brand new .280-, first day deer season jammed on first shot. .270 ripped extractor out when snap shot attemped on running deer. .06, back to then then Rem. factory no less than three times for repair....never did get that gun to function........and on and on and on!

I have personally fired three of them in the past fifty years. Two were 30-06 and one was a .308.
    The .308 hung up on Norinco copper washed steel case ammo, but worked fine with brass case factory ammo.
    The 30-06s were problem free and we could hit a can at 100 yards with the fancy BDL 742 of my cousins.
    Remington built and sold over a million of them so I don’t believe they are all junk.
    They definitely shoulder quickly and handle well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My FIL has used one since the early 80's and it always makes deer go dead for him. He is a very good hunter but a gun is just a tool to him. He uses nothing but factory ammo aimed with an ancient Bushnell scope, I doubt he has ever done more to it than swab the barrel and squirt some oil into the action. So, the 7400 can certainly get the job done at least. If I was wanting an autoloader deer rifle I would look into an AR-10, M1A, or FAL myself.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    If I was wanting an autoloader deer rifle I would look into an AR-10, M1A, or FAL myself.
    All banned in Canada, by the way, through the machinations of our true devil.

Stay away from top end loads. FL resize with small base dies and hope for the best. Let middle of the road loads be your absolute max and IMR 4895 gave the least problems. I sincerely hope you have better luck.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Still not sure if we are talking about shooting cast boolits in the Remington 74/7400 or jacketed rounds. I have been successful in loading cast in my model 74 (.30-06) and I chose to use Re 7 to keep port pressure low to reduce the wear on the action. I was hoping for a reliable semiautomatic for running ‘yotes and I‘ve not been disappointed. Accuracy is quite acceptable for my needs.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Owned a 742 and an older 740. They are not tack driver’s and there is a question of durability, but both function flawlessly with factory ammo. Agree on the small base dies if reloading. The pump(760 series) seem to be a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    All banned in Canada, by the way, through the machinations of our true devil.
    Sorry to hear that. May want to look into a 7600 or a Browning BLR.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I had one on 270 Win. for a while. When I got it the clip was full of sand, the rifle had been fired with sand on the ammo and would not extract. I took the barrel off and polished the chamber, after that it was reliable. Loaded with top loads it shot 6' groups at 100 yds. Drop to between start and max loads it would do 2 3/4. I sold it with full disclosure. The guy hunted with it for years and was happy. And yes they are called jam-o-matics and are not very durable. They are made for the 1 box every 5 years hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    I had one on 270 Win. for a while. When I got it the clip was full of sand, the rifle had been fired with sand on the ammo and would not extract. I took the barrel off and polished the chamber, after that it was reliable. Loaded with top loads it shot 6' groups at 100 yds. Drop to between start and max loads it would do 2 3/4. I sold it with full disclosure. The guy hunted with it for years and was happy. And yes they are called jam-o-matics and are not very durable. They are made for the 1 box every 5 years hunter.
    That's my FIL 100%. Seriously, the guy puts many many hours into building the perfect blind and food plots but guns and ammo are a total afterthought.