MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Pitted Bore… safe?

Boolit Master

Pitted Bore… safe?

A family member brought over a Parker Brothers Trojan double barrel 20 gauge shot that she wanted me to clean. The outside is in used but good condition, however, both barrels have pitting in the bore just ahead of the chamber. I know it’s subjective, but I would call it moderate to mild pitting. It extends 3 or 4 inches down the bore. I know shotguns don’t generate high pressure, but would like some opinions of what I need to do about this. Is it safe to shoot field loads?
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    On this side of the computer it's a little difficult to see and say. A "little" pitting would not stop me, knowing it is there just take your Ed's Red and have a rod handy (The BEST shotgun bore juice concoction I ever used) to clear wad smear if it does. If it is a family heirloom a back bore might clean it up, not cheap but may remove what's there.

If you can see the pitting by looking down the barrel it's probably worse than you think. I'd not want to risk it. I like having full use of my left hand and reconstruction surgery after a barrel burst is something I'd want no part of.

Boolit Master
    I used a brake cylinder hone on a couple that sat for a long time. They looked a lot better but I never knew the outcome. You can't fix pits without removing metal but being smooth has got to help.

Are they damascus barrels? If so, I'd take it to someone who knows damacus barrels and how to test them.

I have a 1914 Parker Flues Grade A1-Special 28ga that has pitted bores just ahead of the chambers, that shoots just fine.

In respect for it's age and lightweight receiver design, though - I only use special, low-pressure, shells from RST.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    Are they damascus barrels? If so, I'd take it to someone who knows damacus barrels and how to test them.
    No.. they are nickel steel. I’ll try to get a decent picture. Those I have so far aren’t any good.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Grand Master

You have to use some good judgement, but pressure peaks while still inside the chamber and quickly drops from there. A heavily pitted chamber and forcing cone might have me thinking twice. Some minor pitting down the bore only, not that huge a deal.

As for if it's safe to shoot field loads, I can't say that. What I can say is from a safety standpoint there is no difference between target and field loads. It's not uncommon for 1 oz field loads to have lower pressure than 7/8 oz target loads, actually I'd say that's more common than not. Target loads are commonly right up in that 10,000-12,000 psi range which is SAMMI maximum for 20 gauge. Field loads almost always use slower powders, and are often lower pressure despite being more "powerful".

If you want to hone a shotgun barrel You need a barrel hone and a barrel polishing stone/brush, with cutting and polishing oils, not one oil. You should also have an interior and exterior measuring device, to tell how thick the steel is to start, how much steel maximum, you can remove. A shotgun can shoot plastic cup wad field grade shot shells with a pitted bore, without ill effect.

If you do not have the tools send the barrels to someone that does the work.Like Briley.

By the way, the honing and polishing is end to end not just the pitted area. So before you start and totally jack up a Parker, just stop.Send the barrels to Briley.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

I have a 1914 Parker Flues Grade A1-Special 28ga that has pitted bores just ahead of the chambers, that shoots just fine.

In respect for it's age and lightweight receiver design, though - I only use special, low-pressure, shells from RST.

You have an Ithaca not a Parker and that’s definitely not an A-1 Special .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    I’m about 99.5% sure Parker made NO Trogan grades with Damascus barrels .

Boolit Master
    I’d scrub the piss out of the barrels . As to honing I’d not until I’d taken it to a known GOOD barrel guy . A person that’s not good at Honning can and usually will make it worse honing to much over having light putting . As to shooting pitted barrels I have a bunch that are lightly pitted I shot relatively regularly and of those some are damascus and one or two are fluid steel . And NO I DO NOT shoot blackpowder in the damascus guns .

Boolit Master
    Nothing against Briley but there are far better choices than them . To put this all in context a nice decent 20 gauge Trogan at best is maybe a $2500 gun . With Parker’s condition is everything as far as value is concerned (unless of course they’re some rare variation which a Trogan is not) , so if you send to have honed somewhere this could turn into a $500 or possibly more job .

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    Nothing against Briley but there are far better choices than them . To put this all in context a nice decent 20 gauge Trogan at best is maybe a $2500 gun . With Parker’s condition is everything as far as value is concerned (unless of course they’re some rare variation which a Trogan is not) , so if you send to have honed somewhere this could turn into a $500 or possibly more job .
    Geeze, I figured you could get sleeves installed for that, or am I wrong? I agree Briley's is rarely the best choice for anything. High end shotguns are not my forte, the prices scare me too much to read into it.

Boolit Master
    LOL powder coat it. I know its nuts but if its not a wall hanger then why not. If it works for a bullet going down a barrel why would it not work for the inside of a barrel with a wad going down it?

Oh now that is over I have a 12g that was pitted up. It was bought brand new and stood in a wet basement for 40 years+. Barrel is pitted pretty good. I shoot out of it all the time.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    You have an Ithaca not a Parker and that’s definitely not an A-1 Special .
    WOW, yet another act of senioritis on my part ! T.Y. for spanking my hand.......

It's a 1914 Ithaca Flues Grade 1-S - but the bores are still pitted, and I stand by the remainder of my post.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

I have some old doubles with pitting in the bore that have been shot for years, but you have to make that decision.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Thanks for all the input. I’ll see if I can find someone to check it out.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Man
    You also need to check the length of the chambers too.