WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opening day of trout fishing but

Boolit Buddy

Opening day of trout fishing but

April 1st! Opening day of trout fishing here in NYS. Used to go every year with my son and sometimes with my daughter. Good memories.
    Today heavy rain nows, high wind warning, thunderstorms later. So I stayed home drinking my coffee and posting here.

Moderator Emeritus

Many many years ago I would have gone regardless....now days a good cup of coffee on bad weather days is the rule for me....what is the trout limit per day and what are the restrictions as to length, slot etc?
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    yea we were going to go but bad weather here to. Cleaning things and looking at web,

Boolit Master
    Ours opened today as well. And I too used to be hard core in that I'd be out there no matter the weather. After over 50 years of this,, I developed a saying; "We'll have bad weather on opening day,, and never plant anything until a week later."
    Well, today,, just before daylight,, the storms started. And will continue until about lunchtime. I'm right again. Oh,, and I too grew out of the "gotta be out there no matter what" long ago.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Bear View Post
    April 1st! Opening day of trout fishing here in NYS. Used to go every year with my son and sometimes with my daughter. Good memories.
    Today heavy rain nows, high wind warning, thunderstorms later. So I stayed home drinking my coffee and posting here.
    If you live in Rochester, NY, you have GREAT trout fishing year round. There are many, many Lake Ontario tributaries that hold trout all fall, winter, and spring. Sandy Creek and Oak Orchard are very close to you. Nothing like hooking into a ten pound (or more) on a fly rod using actual hand tied flys to get the adrenaline going. The season’s open year round if you want to fish for trout.

Boolit Master

Sorry about your weather.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Bear View Post
    With age ... Comes wisdom !

Enjoy your warm dry day ... that is exactly what I would be doing !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    Many many years ago I would have gone regardless....now days a good cup of coffee on bad weather days is the rule for me....what is the trout limit per day and what are the restrictions as to length, slot etc?
    Limits and methods vary on different bodies of water. https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7917.html#Download

And yes we can fish anytime but April 1st is a tradition.

Moderator Emeritus

MN opens in 2 weeks... there is still ice on most of the streams and rivers... Minnesota main fishing opener(Walleye, Northern Pike...) is mid May. Trout stream near me is place and catch each year, not many fish survive in it over summer(water gets to warm)

I have never been trout fishing, It is on my bucket list, I guess I will be self taught. I have access to the North and South Carolina mountains. Nothing like a trout breakfast! I am looking forward to learning. I will bribe the locals to see what they can offer, Think that will go well? LOL
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Colorado doesn't have a season you can fish for them and all fish year around.

We have the nutty ones that will fly fish if they can get to open water even when snowing. Me, I wait till it stops snowing.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Same here. As a kid we would go no matter what the weather. Snowing, line freezing in the rod eyes and still have a blast. I haven’t fished in years, but I bought my fishing license last month and promised myself to go this year. Retired, but with 2 houses and 125 acres to manage I spend more time working now then when I worked for a living. Made a promise to make some play time this summer.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Same here. As a kid we would go no matter what the weather. Snowing, line freezing in the rod eyes and still have a blast. I haven’t fished in years, but I bought my fishing license last month and promised myself to go this year. Retired, but with 2 houses and 125 acres to manage I spend more time working now then when I worked for a living. Made a promise to make some play time this summer.
    Stick with it. I did the same thing five years ago. Got the new house built by my two hands and only my two hands. Paid for and still have yet to make time to fish or hunt. Please stick with it. I told people I would be going no mater what this year so if for the first time I say NO when somebody ask for help with a project its for my own good.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    If you can dig worms (garden Hackles) that is all you need to know/Ed

OK Rondacker, we should promise each other to go and then come back here and share our trips.

Boolit Master

I like idea of catch and release. But its fpuled up a tradition as old as time...

We still have an opening day. But SO FLIPPIN many streams are now catch and release it dont matter cause there is mo season with catch and release here... So the long winter anticipating opening morning is gone and has been for years here in Connecticut...

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

My only problem with catch and release is that sometimes the hook is in so far there is no saving the fish( I know you can just cut the hook, but....) Kind of a waste to release a dead fish.

Boolit Grand Master

Second Sat in April at home. As a kid I remember many a frozen opening standing on the Clyde River trying to catch a salmon. Even managed to get one, once. All the ponds and beaver dams still frozen over.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Dancing Bear, here’s one (of about a dozen) I caught on Sandy Creek off the Redman Rd., just north of Holley, NY. It was just around the end of March several years back. Used a fly rod and a hand-tied fly patterned after an egg sac. No need to wait till April 1st. This has to be right in your back yard…or pretty close to it. I’m not big on taking pictures, but my Dad took this one when we both hooked and landed fish in the same hole at the same time. Get out there and catch some!!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1C63FB5A-784A-4679-8E11-780D83272F43.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	312485

Boolit Master
    super6,,,,,,,,,,,, "I have never been trout fishing, It is on my bucket list, I guess I will be self taught. I have access to the North and South Carolina mountains. Nothing like a trout breakfast! I am looking forward to learning. I will bribe the locals to see what they can offer, Think that will go well? LOL "

I'm in the lower edge of NC mountains,, with a few trout streams. No bribery necessary. Sadly,, most of our streams are "stocked" due to all the fishing. The remote, hard to access & private property streams with natives are closely guarded by those of us who know & aren't shared. But I can show you a fair amount about trout fishing if you wish & are close enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast