Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: 6x45 AR mold suggestions

6x45 AR mold suggestions

I had posted in the military rifles asking for barrel/twist rate suggestions and did get some good feedback. Nobody suggested a mold though.

I've done a little searching on here and found some info but hoping for more.

The 245-74-FN from NOE looks like a solid choice but easy hoping for some real life feedback before buying one somewhat on a whim.

Rifle will have a 20" Xcaliber barrel, with rifle length gas and a 6 groove 1/9 twist.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

I'd love to hear about any experiences good or bad and any loads as well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hades View Post
    I had posted in the military rifles asking for barrel/twist rate suggestions and did get some good feedback. Nobody suggested a mold though.

I've done a little searching on here and found some info but hoping for more.

The 245-74-FN from NOE looks like a solid choice but easy hoping for some real life feedback before buying one somewhat on a whim.

Rifle will have a 20" Xcaliber barrel, with rifle length gas and a 6 groove 1/9 twist.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

I'd love to hear about any experiences good or bad and any loads as well.
    Mihec moulds has a 6mm bullet that is excellent. I believe it was designed by the fellow that use to be on this forum. It looks like the 224 NATO if you know what that is. I have an AR15 I built in that caliber too and it's deadly.

Boolit Master
    Not very many folks cast for the 6mm and not many molds out there. I decided on the NOE 106gn for my 6BR with 1-8 twist. Probably way too long for an AR.

I'd go with the 74gn NOE to start with and see how it goes. RCBS also has a nice looking one at 95gn, but that might be too long as well. Lyman doesn't have any current ones. I didn't see the Mihec one on their site.

Fast twist means velocity is going to be a problem. I've only shot a few so far so can't tell where the limit will be yet.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I was really unsure what twist to get and didn't want to pigeonhole myself to the lighter jacketed bullets only because I'll definitely want to shoot the 70 to 85-90 gr bullets as well. Finally decided 1/9 would be my best bet and hopefully I can get an acceptable load worked up with cast too.

Boolit Master
    I got a 1-8 for jacketed stuff, which is why I got the 6BR in the first place. 103HPBT bullets at 1000yd

But, I decided to try cast in it just as a lark. If I can't get a load down close to MOA I'll give up on it. My main cast rifle is a .308.

Thanks again Charlie, I look forward to hearing what kind of success you'll have with your 6br.

I'll be sure to share what I find with my 6x45 as well when I get the barrel and try some cast through it.

The barrel won't be done until June... And naturally I'm taking the easy button and loading jacketed first to see what it can do and sight it in. It'll probably be late summer before I try some cast in it but I like having my ducks in a row and figured I'd get a mold and sizers ready and could at least have them cast up and even loaded waiting to go.

I've shot a few of the NOE 245-80-FN-D1 bullet. I got a 16" 1/10 McGowen barrel to use on my AR. OAL of 2.164" has the top band into the throat. I loaded them with a caseful of boosted 860 and it wasn't shooting bad. I found I had some variation in the diameter of the top band cause I swaged a bit of a bevel on the flatnose that expanded the band on some. That caused some chambering difficulty. I think a forward assist would have finished chambering, but I built the upper on a slab side receiver. I had 20rd without the swaged bevel and they ran fine with no chambering issues. Groups were not bad, no chronograph data.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    I've shot a few of the NOE 245-80-FN-D1 bullet. I got a 16" 1/10 McGowen barrel to use on my AR. OAL of 2.164" has the top band into the throat. I loaded them with a caseful of boosted 860 and it wasn't shooting bad. I found I had some variation in the diameter of the top band cause I swaged a bit of a bevel on the flatnose that expanded the band on some. That caused some chambering difficulty. I think a forward assist would have finished chambering, but I built the upper on a slab side receiver. I had 20rd without the swaged bevel and they ran fine with no chambering issues. Groups were not bad, no chronograph data.
    Good stuff, thanks for sharing. Looks like that's the mold to get them for this gun. I actually just got my barrel yesterday but wasn't expecting it until June so I still need a handguard. Hopefully in another week or so I'll at least be shooting jacketed bullets and see what she can do.