WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: “Most Balls Lost” MLB Statistic

Boolit Master

“Most Balls Lost” MLB Statistic

Does anyone know what “most lost balls” mean in baseball? Watching the Astros today this statistic was mentioned. I’ve been watching the Astros since they were the Colt 45s playing in their open air stadium before the Astrodome was built. Never heard that statistic before.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

How are the balls lost? Foul outs...Bat boy snagged a souvenir....

While stationed at Ft. Hood 66-67 on a week end pass went home with a a fellow army buddy who's family lived in Houston. Spring of 67' we just drove up and walked in (there was no game) a strolled around the new Astrodome. My home field was Dodger Stadium and I thought WOW it could fit in this thing. There was a cloud up at the top of the roof and my buddy say "Yeah, it has its own weather"
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master
    An outfielder sometimes looses the ball in the light/sun? I guess that could be any position though.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Moderator Emeritus

Balls hit into the stadium that don't come down. I think it and the Tampa Bay stadium loose the most balls that way.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I do agree it probably means lost in the sun or the crowd and the fielder looses sight of it. But, being it was the Astros, it may have had a nefarious meaning.

Boolit Master

The only time I loose my balls is when I drop them on the floor and they roll under something!

Them little 32 caliber are hard to find.

It means balls lost, period. The left the stadium, were caught by a fan or disappeared in the various catch nets. Basically, a ball in play that for whatever reason removes itself from play and has to be replaced.
    Regards,
    Rob

Boolit Master
    Funny statistic since in MLB a ball is only used for 7 or 8 pitches before being discarded, ie relegated to practice. They must nearly be swimming in balls.

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Does anyone know what “most lost balls” mean in baseball? Watching the Astros today this statistic was mentioned. I’ve been watching the Astros since they were the Colt 45s playing in their open air stadium before the Astrodome was built. Never heard that statistic before.
    Wow! That was a long time ago...I haven't been to a baseball game since that time...been to a Rodeo though & walked around in the Astrodome arena, looking up from there will put a crick in your neck!
    Been a long time since I've been to Baytown too! I grew up in Spring Branch, west side of Houston.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

You shouldn't loose any balls in the Astrodome ... they can't get out .

The Tampa Bay Ray's had a ball that was hit into the big Sting Ray tank ... would that be considered "lost" ?

The very first pro baseball game I ever saw live and for real (not on TV) was in the new Astro Dome ... it had been opened the year before ... billed as the 8th Wonder of the World ! it sat in the middle of a huge cow pasture and no other building was near it !
    They played the Cubs ...
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy

The first ball game I watched in person was in Milwaukee, Warren Spahn was pitching and Eddie Mathews hit a home run.
    "Only the weak blame parents, their race, their times, lack of good fortune, or the quirks of fate. Everyone has it within his power to say, this I am today, that I shall be tomorrow. The wish, however, must be implemented by deeds." Louis L'Amour The Walking Drum

Boolit Grand Master

Does anyone remember when Pee Wee Reese and Dizzy Dean were the TV commentator's on Sat. Baseball games ... I don't remember the details but Pee Wee caught a ball , bare handed , fouled right up and into the press-box ... it , the ball , looked like it was coming right into the camera / TV screen ... My Dad , sitting next to me , Ducked Down ... his reaction to a ball that looked like it was coming through the screen ... I laughed , but just a little and said that ball wasn't going to hit you ... He said I just ducked without thinking ... the old man had quick reflexes.
    Dizzy Dean liked to sing during lulls in the game ... I learned " The Wabash Cannonball" from him ... I remember it still ... From the great Atlantic Ocean to the wide Pacific shore ...
    sing it Dizzy !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"