Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: Time for a sticky on fireforming?

Time for a sticky on fireforming?

The question about fireforming comes up often enough, is it getting time for the first sticky in Case Forming / Reforming?

I know I have my preferred way as do others.

Perhaps it would help the first timers at littering the backyard with corn meal and toilet paper get the most out of their bang

Boolit Master

There are differences in different cartridges to be fireformed. Some cases are stretched a lot more than others, depending on what cartridge the parent cartridge is going to be formed to. Mine is way easy. I fire form a spent 30-06 case to 8mm-06 AI. I use once fired 30-06 range brass for my parent case. First I chamber the fired 30-06 case in the 8mm-06 AI to check for headspace. If the bolt closes hard, fine, if the bolt won't close, I run the case in the 8mm-06AI size die. This opens up the 30-06 neck, and my sizer die is already adjusted for the proper head space, so the bolt closes with pressure. I then load the case in the same way as any regular cartridge. I use a full powder charge as I do in my regular loadings. Works great for me. YMMV
    Last edited by littlejack; 03-31-2023 at 07:16 PM.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master
    303 to .410... but, makes some folks upset as they need/use 303...
    One place where I anneal first...all of the shoulder as well as the neck..
    If the 303 won't go in the 410 chamber... either change headstamp, or Modify accordingly.. once it will chamber..
    14 gr of Unique, but I am seeking a substitute as Unique is difficult to find here... Note; That is alot more Unique than I use for Shot loads!
    anyway, using a Card (I cut disks from Egg Carton) over powder...yes PITA fishing them in there... but...makes a big difference.
    then top off with Corn Meal... finally I shove a Sheet of parrafin onto neck... even melting it a Bit with a lighter..
    Then go feed my Fish!!!!! Still Ugly brass... but... long as a 410 plastic wad will go to bottom...I use it with whatever Shot will Fit... it will eventually "blow out" fully... All other Conversions and Wildcats are pretty straight forward... If the neck needs sized, I use wax plug over Corn Meal. if Neck does Not require sizing... A Projectile is Best...jammed into rifling.
    Note here... I have Never fireformed a case for a Push Feed Rimless... on that... I would rethink!

Boolit Grand Master

There are enough "Stickies" and anyone who is interested can search for fireforming specifics, pertaining to their individual needs.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    There are enough "Stickies" and anyone who is interested can search for fireforming specifics, pertaining to their individual needs.
    Maybe there are enough stickies, but the search engine often frustrates me.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Exactly.

Rarely can I find what I'm looking for, even when I am looking for a thread that I know exists.

And the number of people who I don't believe have ever even tried a search before posting appears to be considerable.

For my own searches, I've gotten into the habit of doing a search from outside the forum using a commercial search engine, Duck, Duck, Go is my preference but any one of them will work.

Part of the search string will include "castboolits".

I get much more relevant search returns doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Case in point,

Just did a search for "280 Ross" in the forum, received almost 1600 returns, including reference to pygmy DNA.

Almost nothing on what I was actually looking for.