Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clogging problem

Boolit Master

Clogging problem

And NOT Dancing! I bought a new RCBS furnace about a year ago. Used it some, but finally moved it indoors off the patio when winter hit. And the pour spout clogged up on me. I couldn't clear it, so I sent it back to RCBS for them to fix it - and they sent me a New One! Way to go, RCBS! But - now THAT one is clogged! I cranked it up full blast, 850 degrees, poked around from below with a safety pin, put a 1/16" drill in a small pin vice I have & drilled a hole (by hand!) all the way through the clog, torched with a butane torch, tried to completely clear, spun Phillips screwdrivers from above, I know the temp in the spout MUST have been over 1000 degrees, and No Joy. What am I recommended to do NOW??? I feel that most of the current problem is my fault - the ingots I loaded had been on the ground (dirt - my smelting table collapsed due to snow piling up, then melting and soaking the wood)) and may have carried some dirt into the mix. If so, I thought the dirt would have floated up to the top. And I really don't think dirt would fuse into the clog I am experiencing. What say, Guys?
    (I never had a problem with my old SAECO furnaces, but they won't get up over 700 now, and a couple of my molds like it hot)
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    Ladle the lead out, and see if you can find the issue from on top. Clean ingots are your friend. I use a finnish nail locked in vicegrips for my plugs when i get them.

Empty the pot, let it cool down, and gently go from the bottom.

The clog came from the top, don't try to force it all the way down and out through the exit hole.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Did you try a thermometer to make sure the bottom of the pot was getting hot? The PID could be bad.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    Did you try a thermometer to make sure the bottom of the pot was getting hot? The PID could be bad.

Good thinking.

I don't use fancy PIDs or even a thermometer, However--
    On my old pro-melt, sometimes when I first get going the bottom pour spout acts like its clogged.
    But waving a propane torch on/under it a few seconds fixes it right up.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I poured the lead out, about a half load. Floor of furnace is totally visible.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

I've torched it a couple of times, for a period of time, with no result. Well, the first time, I DID get a couple of drops of alloy, but that's all.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U

Boolit Master

Can hardly go from the bottom. There isn't enough room to get serious - I HAVE used an opened-up safety pin, and another wire device, and the way is clear, if one allows 1/32" to be clear.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U

Moderator Emeritus

I feel your 'pain' and frustration. My guess is you identified the cause, as you wrote, "the ingots I loaded had been on the ground (dirt - my smelting table collapsed due to snow piling up, then melting and soaking the wood)" and may have carried some dirt into the mix." Years back I bought a bunch of ingots from a local gas station which I was told were "pure wheel weights"... but apparently had everything from tobacco chaw to dirt in it. Enough to create similar challenges on a Lyman Mould Master. My solution? I dumped ALL out into a Freon jug I use for my initial lead melting (propane-fired) and followed saw-dust and candle fluxing with Brownell's Marv-e-Lux (sp?). It took, if I recall, three applications. Re the Mould-Master, bion (advice from a buddy) I used wood tooth-picks -- the round ones with a point on each end -- chucked in an egg-beater-style antique drill -- to clean the nozzle -- this while temp control was on max. (I needed the hand drill as electric drills are like a right-angle, and chucked tooth-pick was not long enough to reach pot orifice.) Of course I had to (simple) unscrew lift handle, but that was no challenge.
    Process took a bit of time, but I wished to be most careful to not alter -- JUST CLEAN! -- orifice.
    Good luck!
    geo

Boolit Master

I've experienced "Pro Melt" nozzle clogging too, as I formerly added cold ingots to the 20# pot, but always a clog that will flow after the application of external heat. Now, I use a 10# Lee pot to melt "standardized" 3# 49-49-2 percent Pb-WW-Sn ingots, which I bottom pour into a ladle and subsequently add to the Pro Melt near its depletion of melted alloy

Perhaps the adjustment is too close (see image) or the "nozzle shut off pin" is too long?

Or the hole through the nozzle is drilled too small? Using larger and larger (small diameter) drill bits, push them up through an unclogged hole to see at which diameter the nozzle was cut? Then call RCBS and ask what it should be.

If the hole you have and the hole they spec favorably compare, then heat is being kept from the nozzle. I do not know how a "heat sink" could occur from insulation or "heat isolation" as the liquid melt in the pot has to flow through the nozzle - a nozzle made from steel.
    Last edited by Land Owner; 04-01-2023 at 08:51 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    While dirt and crud in your alloy is a possibility wonder if there is some issue with your alloy. Pb/Sb/Sn alloys should flow easily at your high pot setting, could there be something else in the mix that is causing the problem. Some of the type casting alloys contain copper, which when diluted are not supposed to be a problem, but I'm not a metallurgist. Is it possible your alloy has something in it that is causing the problem?

Boolit Bub

Get yourself a welding tip file set. They cost very little, and prevent aggravation with clogs.

Boolit Grand Master

Check your alloy for Zinc contamination ... if zinc isn't causing the clog and a Lee pot will melt your alloy ... something's wonky with the RCBS design ... who wants a pot that freezes up at the nozzle ... that's not going to work very well .
    Complain loud and long to RCBS ... the nozzle must get enough heat to flow or it's useless .

At least have them send you a " Free Dipper " ... Tell them you can then ladle cast boolits out the top and forget about the nozzle not flowing !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

When I make my alloy, I try to emulate the standard WW+2#Sn, so most of my stuff in 2+%Sn, 4+% Sb, remainder Pb.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    ….At least have them send you a " Free Dipper " ... Tell them you can then ladle cast boolits out the top and forget about the nozzle not flowing Gary
    If you’re certain you’re not the cause of the problem I would be adamant they fix or replace your melter. A free dipper would be nice but after all, you bought a bottom pour machine.

I have the new RCBS with the built in PID. I have not had a problem with mine. As stated earlier, get a thermometer to measure the temperature and make sure that it agrees with the PID. The biggest problem I have with mine is after you turn it off you are supposed to wait until it gets to 160* before unplugging.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    When you get it flowing, make sure to flux well and don’t drain the pot below one quater. I normally use a paper clip to clear the nozzle on my Lee pot. I think the flat end is better for pushing stuff up than a sharp point.

Boolit Master
    +1 what Greg said. Use a big paper clip. Hard to get once I retired but I recently found one in the street.

Moderator Emeritus

Do you have a analog thermometer, to confirm your alloy is getting hot enough?

The Promelt 2 has a poor design, where the PID's thermocouple mounts to the bottom of the heating element, instead of in contact with the molten alloy. It's highly likely that is your problem.

If you are handy with electrical stuff, here is a thread about modifying it
    https://www.artfulbullet.com/index.p...mocouple.8909/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

ADMIN

I ran into this issue with a "commercial caster".
    He purchased a automated master caster panel and automated his machine.
    Second day after setting it up he called me and told me he had a continuous drip now.
    He cast for 12 hours, thousands of boolits.
    I asked what type of lead and he said anything he could get He was smelting in his casting pot.

Use only known quality lead and flux really good when casting in a bottom pour pot.
    I would tape the pour handle wide open.
    Using a pair of needle nose pliers put a paperclip up the pour spout.
    The pour spot isn't freezing its being clogged with trash.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast