Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision

Thread: Savage 220

Boolit Buddy

Savage 220

Anyone casting and hunting with a Savage 220 shotgun??? If so would you share some load data???
    Thank you
    James
    JAMESGR

Boolit Grand Master
    Which Model 220? The newish bolt action or the old hammerless single shot?

I really don't like when manufacturers reuse the same model number for vastly different guns.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I'm reloading for the newer bolt action.
    Thank you,
    James

If you Contact "Bloodtrail" (Leon) he has taken over the Sabot Technologies/Slugs R US products. He is on Youtube as "Buck and Slug Reloaders" They work really well in your gun and should be your first stop if you are looking for rifle accuracy from your 220.

I have a group from My Browning A5 with Hastings Rifled barrel I am especially proud of using the Sabots he sells with my own Brass Inserts. It is 5 shots into 1 x 1.5 group and the first three were a Cloverleaf! See Pics VVV Below.

Check him out. He's a member here.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464885.jpg   100464943.JPG   100464934.JPG  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, Randy
    James

Boolit Grand Master

I'm surprised more have not replied. I know a few here shoot 220's, but maybe they use factory ammo. From what I understand they respond well to a stock bedding job. Some might claim the plastic stock is not worth the time since it is so flimsy, I'm not sure I agree. Just get that action to stock fit solid and it should perform well. Shoot them nice and slow so you don't heat the barrel up, and they have a really good reputation for accuracy. The only other thing is the original scope mounts are not that great. A one-piece rail is much more solid, and it's a lot easier to fit the more compact slug gun style scopes like a 1-4x or 2-7x.

I don't own a Savage 220, and at this point I probably never will. Minnesota is one of the last few holdouts with a slug area, and that's not likely to exist for too much longer. I think the 5 or 6 rifled slug guns I have might be enough. I do have an H&R Tracker II 20 gauge I've done a fair amount of load workup in. One thing unique about that gun is the groove diameter is .6265". This is odd as most 12 gauges use a .730"ish groove, and .720"ish bore. They use a groove diameter like most smoothbore's bore diameter. A 20 gauge smoothbore bore diameter is often .617"ish depending on the brand. I've seen reports on 20 gauge rifled barrels with groove diameters from .616" up to mine at nearly .627". I've never seen this much variation in 12 gauges. I mention this as it will matter a great deal when you buy a mold. Just like in rifles, if you try to shoot a slug that is only .616" when your groove is .626", it's not going to shoot good. One great thing about 20 gauge is that you can shoot some real full-bore bullets without insane recoil. I've never tried this one, but I'd bet the Accurate 62-425S shoots really good. It's just like my 12 gauge Accurate 73-770S, but without the incredible recoil. The 73-770S does shoot really well. Just be sure to get it at least a little over groove diameter.

In my case I ended up shooting a round ball. Maybe it's the H&R's slightly slower twist, but it loves a .630" round ball (about 350 grains). I'm not shooting them slow either, I'm using a load from Lyman's shotshell manual for a 350gr Lyman slug with bluedot, and it's like 1650-1700 fps. I let my brother loose with it, and he absolutely nailed a young whitetail buck with it. You can't ask for better performance than round ball on animals, and this one really left a mark. The deer crumpled on the spot.