Avg.:1522
    SD: 9
    ES: 24

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45-70 3-30-23 33.8 AA 5744-min.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	312382

This a confirmation trip for the load. Last stats were in line with this one, so sticking with this one.

Edit: Title was wrong, listed "IMR 5744" v. "Accurate 5744." Mod Red River Rick corrected the title. Thanks - Paul
    Last edited by huntinlever; 03-30-2023 at 10:55 PM. Reason: At Op's request.
    -Paul

Boolit Buddy
    Did the 5744 leave powder residue in your barrel? I started at 31 gr and had quite a few kernels of powder left in my bore. Just wondering if a hotter load might cut the amount of residue a little. No problem with the kernels of course as they wipe out with a patch and don't accumilate

Quote Originally Posted by Oily View Post
    Did the 5744 leave powder residue in your barrel? I started at 31 gr and had quite a few kernels of powder left in my bore. Just wondering if a hotter load might cut the amount of residue a little. No problem with the kernels of course as they wipe out with a patch and don't accumilate
    I didn't look but I presume so, pretty dirty powder. Not an issue to me, except for fouling getting back into the action. I suspect what you're wondering is true - the hotter load will probably burn it up better.
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    I use 27 grs of 5744 under a Lee 515 gr in pure lead bullet with a mag primer in 45/70 Starline brass,in my guide-gun, very accurate,
    5 touching at 100 yds..... Kicks hard.. On both ends...

Boolit Buddy
    We used to say if it wont shoot with 4759 it wont shoot with anything but now it is 5744 since 4759 is gone. 5744 almost always leave unburned kernels but who cares as it shoots soooo good.

My standard load for my .45-70 is a RCBS .45-300 FNGC that drops at 325, gr 33 gr of 5744 in Starline cases. 1.75" group at 100 yards from my 1895CB with a Lyman Receiver Sight.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464006.JPG   100464038.jpg   Para LDA 1640 373.jpg  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 03-30-2023 at 10:16 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Thanks guys. FWIW, the high shot in the photo was, I think, a rushed shot. I took my time with the others. I have to say, my son has his Skinner on board his 336 30-30, and I'm going back and forth on mounting one on mine, now that it seems maybe nothing more than weak readers will at least for now do the trick on these 61 year-old eyes.

I wanted to do what I could to develop the load the rifle likes, so that what remained were just my shortcomings as a marksman. Pretty happy with what I can see with the Leu FX II 2.5 x 20. But Randy (and guys who use open and aperture sights), love that setup. I really do think the lever cries out for iron sights of some kind. I think I may just have to accept a bigger MOA. For comparison's sake (50 yards, not 100 as with the initial post), 2015, a 425 grain WFNGC Accurate bullet and 39.5 grains IMR 4198. I got used to really tight groups but coming to accept it's not necessary.

Attachment 312402
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    I use 27 grs of 5744 under a Lee 515 gr in pure lead bullet with a mag primer in 45/70 Starline brass,in my guide-gun, very accurate,
    5 touching at 100 yds..... Kicks hard.. On both ends...
    I found things below 30 grains weren't very good. Got enough interest in the results as I increased past 30 to keep looking, and over a couple trips now the stats for this load checked out.

I still am blown away you can fit a 515 grain in your gg. And I know you're a heck of a lot better marksman than I could ever hope to be. Sub-moa is impressive with any rifle, but if I am hearing you right, to do it with 515 cast out of a gg - respects.
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    I found things below 30 grains weren't very good. Got enough interest in the results as I increased past 30 to keep looking, and over a couple trips now the stats for this load checked out.

I still am blown away you can fit a 515 grain in your gg. And I know you're a heck of a lot better marksman than I could ever hope to be. Sub-moa is impressive with any rifle, but if I am hearing you right, to do it with 515 cast out of a gg - respects.
    This is a 515gr, Lee flat nose, pure lead, 27 grs, 5744, mag primer, off a bench, this is how I make them, now it is just all practice....

Can you tell me which mold? I'd love to see it. I got a 465 grain from Tom, and it wouldn't chamber at all well. My error, should have done some better chamber/throat work before getting the mold.
    -Paul

Boolit Buddy
    5744 is my go to powder in my Henry 45-70 lever. I have shot many groups under 1 inch at 100 meters with a scope. Great ,flexible powder for 45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    Just a suggestion, but you might load a few with a magnum primer and try them. I did this with a 375 H&H load and was surprised at how much it tightened up the groups. I was using 4759

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Just a suggestion, but you might load a few with a magnum primer and try them. I did this with a 375 H&H load and was surprised at how much it tightened up the groups. I was using 4759
    Good idea, thanks. Would you suggest backing off from this load, and working back up? Or, because 33.8 grains is well below Max (IIRC, max is 36.0 grains), you wouldn't worry about it?
    -Paul

On the rare occasion I don't use black powder i use 5744 with good results.

Boolit Master
    My smokeless load is 25.5 gr Alliant under 1/2grain Dacron CCI primer in my (Handi) rifle with a 350 gr NOE FP /BHN #11 on my Cabin Tree tester/Ed