RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: savage 220

Boolit Buddy

savage 220

Anyone hunting with a Savage 220 shotgun??? If you are what loads are you using??
    Thank you
    James
    JAMESGR

Boolit Buddy
    My wife uses one and she has killed quite a few deer with hers. It has a 2x7 burris scope on it and shoots hornady sabots very well. She has killed them out to 125 yards...................Curdog

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, curdog. I haven't tried the Hornady sabots yet, but I've had good luck with Brenneke 3" 20 ga slugs. They're just hard to find. Of course, a lot of shooting supplies are hard to find. Have y'all tried any cast slugs yet???
    Thanks for the reply,
    James

Boolit Master
    I’ve been working with an assortment of projectiles and wad combos.
    Currently the best candidate is the Lee .578” REAL muzzle loader bullet for a .58cal m/l.

Using 28ga spacer wads in a Clay Buster 7/8oz shotcup, and fold crimping the hulls seems to work best. LongShot powder has been the choice powder.
    I haven’t pursued it further as I stumbled across a substantial stash of Remington Aerotip Sabot slugs. Also, a similar quantity of Hornady SST slugs. So, I doubt I’ll ever need the cast slugs.

Boolit Master
    I have 2, one with the thumb hole stock. I also shoot the Remington Accutips. They are Deer killing machines. Thinking when/if i run out of those, trying something else in cast.

Boolit Master
    Always thought those Savage 220's where a bright idea for those of us in shotgun only states. Toyed with buying one but money was more elusive while the kiddos were young. Much more like a good bold action rifle than a behemoth of a shotgun for deer hunting. I do enjoy a rifle far and above a slug shot gun any day of the week.

I would strongly suggest the use of a slug encased in a plastic shoe (sabot) from personal experience in the rifled barrel. Long before Ohio approved straight walled cartridge rifles to be used for deer hunting I got the bright idea, "Why spend so much money on the sabot shells when foster and Brenneke style slugs are so much cheaper. The first number of the full lead slugs showed real potential in the rifled pump gun, with the Brenneke's leading the pack, or should I say 'Lead-ing' bore? When accuracy fell off it was non-existent in a hurry. The soft lead completely filled the rifling for the first 4" or so from the chamber and took 3 hours to completely remove all the shards and build up out. Lesson learned and not repeated.
    Some love the heavy Lee slug that has a large flat nose, a waist with the bottom half flaring out into a hollow base that fits in a regular plastic shot wad. The theory is that the wad peddles act like the sabot when engaging the rifling. My brief experience wasn't encouraging and the recovered peddles showed that they collapsed upon themselves in the barrel. Accuracy wasn't nearly as good as the Lightfield's that cost so much. Maybe if I had pursued the lab research more the 835 Mossberg would have shot them well enough, but thankfully ODNR wised up on the use of actual rifles and non-bottle necked rounds. Casting for the 45/70 is so much better as it is a fine dedicated deer rifle now. But if we were still constricted to slug guns that Savage 220 would do the trick and continued testing of the various slugs to cast would be another hobby to explore.

my 220 Single Shot has a 30" full choke smooth bore and shoots good. I'd prefer a hammer, but the internal striker is Ok, like the 210.

I think the lines are very nice.
    But I don't think I'd use it with slugs. much better guns for that.
    I nice duck/grouse gun though.
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies, I have some BPI 20 ga Thug Slugs loaded and some A-S Grizzly Shock slugs loaded. Planning to test these tomorrow. Supposed to be in the mid 80's tomorrow and Thursday. This weekend, mid 60's daytime with mid 30's at night. Welcome to Alabama in the spring. Roller coaster temps. Heat one day and air conditioning the next.
    I'll post data from results.
    Thank you,
    James

Banner Sponsor

My buddy in Minnesota uses a 220 20ga. He uses factory slugs and gets rifle type accuracy. I'll have to ask him what brand they are.

Boolit Buddy
    Thamks lar45, I would be interested to know which slugs he uses.

James

Boolit Buddy
    I've taken a number of cow elk with a 20ga Savage 220F using Remington 3-in AccuTips. Gun wears a 2-7X Leupold.
    Shots so far have been 30 yards, 76 yards, and 93 yards.

Last edited by long_arm; 05-15-2023 at 04:52 AM.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Had a stainless camo one here with about a case of 3” accutips, extra magazine, and DNZ scope mount for sale. Took down the sale because I had a member want it but never ended up buying it. I short 3” accutips with it. Drops deer like Thor’s hammer. Also shoots the ammo sub MOA. Great gun. Seems like everybody wanted to buy my slugs and not the gun which I wouldn’t part with separately.

Boolit Buddy
    While not a 220, an H&R 20 ga Ultra Slug is deadly with Winchester Partition Gold slugs. Easy on the shoulder compared to the 12 ga version.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank ya"ll for the replies. Sorry to be late to reply. Last week we went to visit the Ark in Williamstown Ky.
    The only factory slugs that I've tried so far are Brenneke 3". The results were good at 50yds.
    I ordered some SH-SH 20 ga slugs from Goodell Shotshell Co. haven't had a chance to try these yet.
    long-arm, I have a Leupold VX- Freedom 3-9x40 scope I'm thinking about mounting on the 220 but I'm concerned recoil might destroy the scope. Any thoughts???
    Thanks again for the replies
    James

Boolit Buddy
    James,
    I can't recall any other specifics re the Leupold currently on mine, sorry to say.
    If I were you I might put a quick call in to Leupold and ask them directly.
    BTW the AccuTip slugs are available currently via the Remington Ammunition website. Prepare yourself for a little sticker shock, however ..

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks long arm, I'll give Leupold a call. Oh yea, everthing is through the roof. I'm hoping my cast slugs will group well through the 220. gonna try tomorrow.
    James

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    It won't hurt that optic. Those 220 with 3-in slugs are pretty mild for recoil in my opinion. I had a Nikon Monarch on mine and it worked just fine. I just put mine up for sale on the classifieds again cuz I haven't heard from the member here if they were still going to take it or not.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Tripplebeards, I don't think the recoil will hurt the scope. I'll give them a call and double check.
    No shooting today. Drizzle and wind 10 to 20mph. good day to load 38's & 357's.
    James

Boolit Buddy
    As to accuracy, with the previously mentioned AccuTips and scope at 7x, off a bag, my 3 shot groups resulted in all holes touching. They really are pretty surprising guns!
    Hope you enjoy yours James and fill your freezer.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks long arm, I know I can buy sabot slugs, but casting bullets and slugs is a hobby. And experimenting is fun. I really like Brenneke slugs they have shot well out of my 20 ga. rifled barrel Mossberg. Only have one or two rounds left though. Hopefully the weather will calm down some this week and I'll be able to test some.
    James

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast