Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP Custom on the way

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar

Ruger LCP Custom on the way

The fun store had an LCP Custom under the glass, this one has a stainless slide and trigger. The price was right so I put it into layaway jail. Looks like Ruger changed the extractor design, it's now bigger and held with it's own roll pin like the larger pistols. Hopefully I can bail it out soon, I went ahead and ordered some extra mags for it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	312380
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Nice.............
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Grand Master
    You'll shoot your eye out! That gun has holes in the trigger!
    The only safe thing to do is to send it to one of us older, experienced, firearms disposal experts for proper treatment.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Thanks, you're a real pal!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I bailed out the LCP and have put about 120 rounds through it. Function is 100% and it groups really well, as good as my larger pistols out to 10 yards. This pistol really, really likes the Lee 356-102-RN over 2.9 Bullseye at .973 as does every other .380 in my battery. It does shoot a bit low for my taste. I suspect this is because of the tiny grip in my big numb hands. Ordered a stick on grip from Handle it grips, also a spring kit from FW Tactical.

Boolit Master
    I shot my LCP a lot. Figured I needed to get proficient with the little gun. It was so different from other guns I was used to.

Turns out it broke 3 times on me. About every 1500 rounds or so, it broke. Not bad mouthing it, just relaying my experience.

First time when it broke the action had worn in enough the spring leg riding on the trigger bar started running past the groove cut for it. Eventually the spring leg fell off the trigger bar and turned the trigger loose. Easy fix. I trimmed about an 1/8” off the spring leg so it would not run past the end of the grove. Still works.

Second time when it broke, the aluminum recoil spring guide rod had worn into an hour glass shape and let the muzzle end of the recoil spring escape out the front of the slide. The forward running slide then pinched and jammed the recoil spring between the fatter un-worn portion of the guide rod and the guide rod hole in the front of the slide. This turned up a big burr and wedged a gap on the front of the slide at the guide rod hole. Sort of an easy fix. I bought a new steel guide rod. Then I clamped a drill bit (about 1/4” IIRC) vertically in a vise, point down shank up, hung the slide over the shank end so it seated where the recoil spring would seat in the front of the slide. Then I used a small ball-peen hammer on the outside, front face of the slide and peened the burr down and closed up the gap. This made the clearance small enough to keep the recoil spring from escaping again. Still holding up.

Third time when it broke, the head popped off the take down pin. This made it extremely hard to disassemble. Turns out there are some aftermarket pins that are allegedly better with a small radius under the head to prevent the stress point that allows the breakage. I bought 2. One is still running in the gun and the other is lost somewhere in my spare parts box.

I’m pretty sure most folks don’t shoot their LCPs 100-200 rounds per range trip every couple of weeks (something like 2000–2500 rounds per year). I don’t think the LCP was engineered to be shot that much. But I did and had three learning experiences with it.

I still have the gun and would carry it if I needed it. But I’ve moved on to other guns to fill that niche for me. Hence I haven’t shot it to breakage again. Heck, for all I know it might be able to run several more years now.

If I was starting with a new one, I’d immediately replace the aluminum guide rod with a steel one, and replace the take down pin with a radiused one. Then I’d shoot it a lot and be happy!

Hope yours runs long well. I’m satisfied with mine. It really was/is a bargain for the service it provides.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

I have an LCP that was replaced by Ruger free of charge. Keep an eye on the slide rails on the frame. On the one I had the right-hand side rail split. Did not have a catastrophic failure and discovered the break while cleaning.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Thanks fellas. I have shot the snot out of my Kel-Tec P32's which this gun is "inspired" by with no problems at all. Ruger does seem to have tweaked the LCP quite a bit over the years and this is the latest version, so hopefully all will be well. I may get some extra power recoil springs for it.

Gave the new LCP some exercise before work today with the Lee 102 over 2.9 grains Bullseye, which basically duplicates factory ball. The pistol seems accurate but is still about an inch low at 7 yards, which drives me nuts even though it probably wouldn't change the outcome of defensive use. I'm going to install the RP hammer and firing pin springs to see if that helps. I may be dipping the muzzle a bit when the trigger breaks. May bump the charge up a hair too, some guns just like it a bit hot. Function is still 100% and the pistol is comfortable to shoot.

Boolit Master
    I saw some very clean used little 9mm rugers at the fun store the other day, very tempting. there are so many different models and variations it got confusing very quick. what I do remember is $200-$250. there was one in particular that was very small but felt very right in my hand. cant for the life of me remember the exact model.

Boolit Master
    Glad you got it and shot it.
    I don’t remember mine shooting low but maybe I’m not scooting them out the barrel as quickly as you. 2.9 grains of Bullseye sounds like some pretty serious 380 loads.
    Then too you might be holding the little gun pretty tight. I could believe a gun that small would move its point of impact a good bit depending on how hard it’s held.

But as you say, an inch low at 7 yds is probably fine for that little tool. Actually I’d prefer a low shooting SD gun over on that shot high. I think most people skew thei shots high in defensive shootings.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

3 grains Bullseye is a pretty standard .380 load, I just use 2.9 'cause that is the closest charge my Auto Disc drops. I feed Makarov level loads to my Glock 42 and it doesn't miss a beat, no way would I put those in an LCP!

Got the RP hammer and firing pin springs installed. Seems to have dropped the trigger pull by a pound or so and made the pull alot smoother. The firing pin strike launched a 1/16 punch up a couple of inches so that is good to go in my experience. Also gave the front sight a nice coat of white sight paint. Hopefully I can test drive tomorrow.

Test drove with reloads and factory ball today. The pistol is still 100% reliable and groups fairly well, but still hits low. I fired my Kel-Tec P32 also and it was dead on, as usual. Called Ruger and they sent me a shipping label. Hopefully it will be good when it comes back, I do really like this pistol.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Test drove with reloads and factory ball today. The pistol is still 100% reliable and groups fairly well, but still hits low. I fired my Kel-Tec P32 also and it was dead on, as usual. Called Ruger and they sent me a shipping label. Hopefully it will be good when it comes back, I do really like this pistol.
    I can't believe they only make one model of LCP with adjustable sights. Maybe ask if they will swap out your slide with model 3755 like they should all have come with.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I can't believe they only make one model of LCP with adjustable sights. Maybe ask if they will swap out your slide with model 3755 like they should all have come with.
    You have to remember that the LCP is first a pocket pistol for self-defense and not meant as a range toy. I have no problem with the fixed sights and heavy trigger on mine mainly because when I carry it, I carry in the pocket and not in a holster. Also, I have no problem hitting 8" gong at 15 Yards. That's plenty good for self-defense shooting.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    You have to remember that the LCP is first a pocket pistol for self-defense and not meant as a range toy. I have no problem with the fixed sights and heavy trigger on mine mainly because when I carry it, I carry in the pocket and not in a holster. Also, I have no problem hitting 8" gong at 15 Yards. That's plenty good for self-defense shooting.
    Why even rifle the barrels?

Boolit Grand Master
    I am happy to see the gun loaded with a considerable level of prudence here.

The dumbest thing you can do with an LCP is to load “plus P” 380 (whatever that is) or hot handloads and expect the gun to last or operate without malfunction. The operational clearances with minimal slide run up and breechface overtravel and relatively weak magazine springs mean NO 250 ft lb ammunition should be used or with anything close to it unless you want the gun to be a beat up jammomatic in short order.

The gun the design was robbed from had a stated ft lb limit and the Ruger iteration does not allow enough weight increase or functional clearance increase to allow the use of hot handloaded or Plus P ammo and Brian Pearce in Handloader magazine is quite wrong about that…..one of the very very few times I can say he was wrong about anything.

Around 160 ft lbs is much more like it. The main theme of a defensive pistol is it go bang when it is supposed to and last long enough you can get reasonable use from it. For long term use practice ammo should develop more like 130 or so.

Ferg is showing how it is done here. Pay attention. It is a tiny 380, not a wanna be G17.

I suppose you could have filed the front sight to get groups to center but sending it back is certainly the most attractive option for many.
    Last edited by 35remington; 04-29-2023 at 11:01 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Another option rather than filing the front sight is to paint the front sight with a fraction of gap between the top of the paint and the top of the front sight. Your eye will ignore the unpainted portion and index on the painted portion. I like orange myself.

This requires some careful work with tape but is quite doable.

35Rem, thanks for the compliments. I consider factory ball equivalent to be optimum for this pistol. Anything more is not only going to beat up the gun but also be alot more difficult to shoot. I don't use hollow points in this round, they just don't have the weight or velocity to be effective. Lead or FMJ slugs at typical velocity will penetrate plenty. I did try painting the top of the front sight black to see just how much it would have to be shortened and it was an awful lot. This pistol has tiny sights anyway and by the time you got done filing it you wouldn't have much of a front sight left. When I spoke to Ruger they just told me to go ahead and send it in, didn't ask about ammo used, shooting technique, or anything like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast