Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 32 cal gas checks? for 30 Super carry?

Boolit Master
    I'm sure some of my loads have been up in that 50,000 psi range.
    I entered the formula from MBC website, and suggested hardness @ 50k psi comes out to a whopping BHN 39.

I use non GC'd 18 BHN for full tilt 357 loads with only minor fouling, myself. So I'm not sure that the formula is all that complete. Hodgdon's jacketed data for the charge suggests 40k psi. Cast seems to affect psi in unpredictable ways, though. Sometimes it goes up; sometimes down.

Just one of many factors is cast bullets are often slightly longer due to the lube grooves, reducing case capacity with the effect of increasing pressure. But that would be more of an effect in a small case. In a roomy 357 case, maybe I'm not getting the full 40k psi. I can't find my Lyman manual to check, so I'm not sure if any of my cast rifle loads even reach 50k psi!

Boolit Master
    Another factor is the barrel. Pressure data comes from a special barrel with the pressure sensor device on it. A revolver has a gap. I'd guess the gap would reduce the spike that produces peak pressure if that spike occurs after the bullet passes.

Boolit Master

The data I'm using suggests a jacketed 100gr load at max will be 48300. That's stiff.

I agree that lead slides down the barrel easier than copper, and that likely drops the pressure..however on the flip side..if the bullet occupies more case space that can drive it up. 357 is roomy..or can be with the correct powder.. Even with a condensed powder like tightgroup..thete is precious little free space at max load under the projectile. I loaded some 100gr last night to hornady spec and the COL was a stubby 1.09.. Even though factory federal is loaded to 1.153!!

Boolit Master

This is going to prove to be one of those cartridges..that in the end..i feel..CAN be loaded with cast... But likely excels as jacketed.

The trend towards high pressure cartridges is continuing... Less case space..shorter magnums.. Gone are the days of the black powder leftovers with massive volume to play with and keep pressures low and down in the shotgun realm.

Forget the check and start PCing them. I cast and PC the Lee 311-100-2R and push them past 1200FPS from the Shield without issue. I've worked up lots of good Alliant loads if you need data.

That is an interesting cartridge.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BC17A View Post
    Forget the check and start PCing them. I cast and PC the Lee 311-100-2R and push them past 1200FPS from the Shield without issue. I've worked up lots of good Alliant loads if you need data.

I tried pc and got less than stellar results.

What alliant powders did you work up?

I'd be interested is seeing your powder coated bullets. Have you thought about double insurance and checking and powder coating them?

Boolit Man
    I will only add that RimRock bullets sells a gas checked 115gr .32 bullet. https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/g-c...-ammo-box.html

Boolit Master

Well..115gr does have data available... Might check into that route.

Boolit Master

Ironically..thats a pretty good bullet for 327 federal too. I don't have a mold that heavy..i might just get some of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    I tried pc and got less than stellar results.

What alliant powders did you work up?

I'd be interested is seeing your powder coated bullets. Have you thought about double insurance and checking and powder coating them?

PC seems to be all they need. Haven't seen even a trace of leading or PC residue yet. Boolit is about .030" longer than a 100XTP but they don't seat as deep with an OAL of 1.140" compared to the XTP at 1.090". I've worked up loads with Power Pistol, BE-86 and Blue-Dot with CCI 500 primers. All loads cycled the Shield reliably.

Power Pistol 4.3gn @1021fps up to 5.4gn @1204fps.

BE-86 4gn @985fps up to 4.9gn @1193fps.

Blue-Dot 5.1gn @1040fps up to 6.3 @1211fps.

Boolit Master

Nice. And blue dot..i at least have on hand. Speaking of COL..i wonder why xtp are seated so short.. Other federal factory are loaded to 1.153...

Boolit Master

Ps... They sure do look nice. You are an artist.

Boolit Buddy

I've also had great success with powder coated boolits in a Shield EZ 30 SC. No leading and good accuracy. I think you need a slower powder. I've gotten the Saeco 95gr rn and RCBS 90gr cowboy boolit up to 1200 fps with no leading and good accuracy with Accurate Arms #7. MP makes a mold that's similar to the factory FMJ. It's 314-640-100gn HP it drops 103gn solid and 98gn in hp. Haven't worked up any loads for that one yet. No gas checks needed.

Boolit Master

powder is still so hard to find...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12