Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Canadian feral pigs may be invading the USA

Boolit Master

Super Canadian feral pigs may be invading the USA

Pigs were a commercial cross between European wild boar and domestic pigs intended for Canada.

Large and destructive feral pigs called “super pigs” from Canada have been recently spotted in the U.S. NBC’s Jesse Kirsch has more on the risks the animals pose and what officials are planning to do about the possible invasion of the species.

Boolit Master
    Where I am, Feral Hogs are Always Open Season.. legally even

Edit; Prolly really Strong Swimmers to get here, as I don't think they allowed thru bridge/tunnel, and can't Walk the Big Bridge!!!

Nother Edit... of course the "Left" pretty much Controls the South East Side... maybe they make exceptions for illegals over there!!!! LOL

The cross breed was popular in game ranch operations in the US. I talked to a game ranch operator who raised pure & cross.
    These ranches are now prohibited in several states from doing these hogs, including MI, but animals go out in a number of places.
    Flip side is: they are pretty tasty...

NOTIFY YOUR REPERSENTATIVES! Canada is now a state sponsor of terrorism.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    Lot of pork eaters up here..... They are very tasty.... If and when they get here? Good table fare... Loaded up some heavy Bare loads just for them.... Me and the boys will be ready...

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Most wild pigs carry the genes of both wild European pigs and domesticated pigs. Supposedly, the more domestic genes they have the more offspring they produce.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Most wild pigs carry the genes of both wild European pigs and domesticated pigs. Supposedly, the more domestic genes they have the more offspring they produce.
    I suspect it also depends on which domestic pigs are genetically in the mix. The first pigs to see what is now the USA were said to have been carried along by De Soto. Some of those pigs did end up feral is the story. Older breeds of breeds were likely different and it was the custom to release them in the woods and to round them up in the fall. I am sure many pigs managed to not get rounded up.

Just wait until they cross breed with javelina, they will be unstoppable.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

South Western Manitoba and almost all of Southern Saskatchewan are loaded with them critters. Most are European boar, with the odd domesticated cross.
    There are no bag limits or seasons for them, they're fair game year round. Locals go and pound as many as they can. The young ones are good eating.

I have been out a few times and bagged this 525-pound boar in Saskatchewan a few years ago.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	525 Boar.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	312420
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Master
    here in NZ a big boar will go a little over 200lb VERY few get much bigger....525lb is a mindblowing figure and Im told some get bigger..... thats a whole heap of pork.watched a few video clips of them being shot from choppers,texas I believe it was,loads of clips on internet showing it being done. crazy numbers of animals.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Milky Duck View Post
    here in NZ a big boar will go a little over 200lb VERY few get much bigger....525lb is a mindblowing figure and Im told some get bigger..... thats a whole heap of pork.watched a few video clips of them being shot from choppers,texas I believe it was,loads of clips on internet showing it being done. crazy numbers of animals.
    This is how you catch pigs in the southern USA and Texas

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    This is how you catch pigs in the southern USA and Texas

Spot on! I'm responsible for about 180,000 acres of public land, and the pigs are here, and they're not slowing down. We kill, on average, about 200/yr. and I fully expect that number to go up. PLEASE don't think of these things as a game species!! I know they taste good...but they are devastating to habitat and food sources for all the critters that are supposed to be here.

Kill them all....with vengeance.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trails4u View Post
    Spot on! I'm responsible for about 180,000 acres of public land, and the pigs are here, and they're not slowing down. We kill, on average, about 200/yr. and I fully expect that number to go up. PLEASE don't think of these things as a game species!! I know they taste good...but they are devastating to habitat and food sources for all the critters that are supposed to be here.

Kill them all....with vengeance.
    perhaps it will be a food source for survivalists if things get very bad.

Fact is many animals that get over populated in an area can do damage. Deer can devastate crops for example and also wreck cars.

Boolit Buddy
    Here in NY it's "illegal" to shoot them. Some bs about educating them if hunted. The guy who owns the land where I hunt says shoot! Not sure about the northern areas but they have been migrating from PA in the southern zones.

Boolit Master

Canadian Bacon!
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    Farm here is like a concentration camp darn cows, I call them the big kids. So not much chance of pigs get across the wire.

Boolit Buddy

North Dakota G&F doesn't allow killing them here either.. very few have been seen over the years. Would love to go on a hog hunt but it's a long drive to get there. GW

Boolit Master
    My son worked on a ranch near Hondo where they flew a chopper over the place with two marksmen; they killed about 300 from the air in one day on 2000 acres. They burned a few piles but most were left for a scavengers.

A month later, they were seeing hogs again on the same pastures…there are more hogs than people in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Duck View Post
    I think the really large ones here are cross bred.
    I have shot a few at game ranches, and the best ones I had were from a place in SE Ohio, which was where I also got to talk to the breader.
    He said that his were pure (grain of salt perhaps warranted -- every vacuum cleaner is the best from the salesman), and they were ~250lb mostly mature.

My family used to raise a few domestics every year for eating, and they would gain 250 lbs in 8 months. Breeder pigs at the fair I remember seeing that would go nose to tail, corner to corner diagonally, in an 8'x8' pen. Simply enormous, and I know they can get to 1000-1200 lbs.

From my limited experience, the meat is a giveaway as to what you have.
    "Pure" Eurasian I have butchered were a very red meat -- dark, leaner and softer than domestic, tending toward the character of beef.
    Domestic -- paler pinkish meat. Firmer, and more fat.

Sure, they are a feral problem, and very destructive. But they are tasty. I would be happy to shoot some feral ones if I knew where they were and had a bit of time. Maybe a couple more years...

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Bear View Post
    Here in NY it's "illegal" to shoot them. Some bs about educating them if hunted. The guy who owns the land where I hunt says shoot! Not sure about the northern areas but they have been migrating from PA in the southern zones.
    Same in NE - in Iowa totally opposite kill any if you see them no matter what time of yr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast