RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Super Canadian feral pigs may be invading the USA

Boolit Master
    In Florida on private land they can killed any time of the year and anytime of a 24 hour day. One can use NV, silencers, and just about any other means within reason.

Hunting

Wild hogs may be trapped and hunted year-round with landowner permission. A hunting license is not required, and a permit is not required to take wild hogs at night with a gun and light with landowner permission.

Hunters may use dogs and any legal rifle, shotgun, crossbow, bow, pistol or air gun (including airbow). There is no size or bag limit, and either sex may be harvested.

Wild hogs may be trapped using live traps (e.g., box traps, cage traps, corral traps). Trapped animals may not be released on public lands and may only be released on private property with landowner permission. Persons wishing to transport or hold live wild hogs must first obtain applicable permits from the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS).
    Use of Dogs

When hunting wild hogs using dogs, all dogs must wear a collar or tag that legibly displays the dog owner’s name and address. Written permission from the landowner (or lessee) is required, must be in each hunter’s possession, and must be presented for inspection upon request of any FWC wildlife officer or other law enforcement officer.

In addition, all dogs not under physical restraint used for pursuing wild hog must be equipped and monitored with devices that allow remote tracking.

On July 1, 2022, a corrective device will also be required on the collars of such hunting dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    Same in NE - in Iowa totally opposite kill any if you see them no matter what time of yr.
    Yes that is how it is in Iowa and they like the one that dose shoot them let them know that way they can get a blood sample last I know of. A friend of my gave me some from TX when he went to with his brother and friend for a hunt and it was some good eating meat and lean.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Bad bad here in East Texas by Louisiana border. We use the traps like shown above and shoot them when we see them. I've heard some using Tannerite. I went to shoot a couple one morning early last year, and it was severely foggy. I just took my Winchester 73' .44-40. I got close enough due to the fog...maybe 15 yards, and put one in the biggest one, it turned on me and got within about 8 feet when my second shot floored him, I was actually pointing 'down', as the other one had run off. It's hard to get more than one or two shots at a group as they scatter and run for cover. The .44-40 works good on them, and literally 'slaps' them, you can hear 'whaaaap!'....most of the bullets catch under the hide on the far side and you can dig them out from under the hide. I went to using my 95' in .30-40 after the 'almost got my legs torn up thing'...but I'm not getting that close anymore anyway, that fog made it a bit tricky to discern distance that morning. I can't stand them, as they are tearing up too much around here, but one thing is for certain, if the food ever runs dry, they might come in real handy...so once a curse may end up being a blessing. Let's pray we never see that day.
    Last edited by Jungle Dave; 04-06-2023 at 05:24 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

So Canada is getting so bad that even the hogs are fleeing south???????
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Mold
    Here in Australia, they have been "off the charts" since the 1950s. Captain Cook released domestic pigs to breed on every south Pacific island that he visited, including Aus and NZ (hence the term Captain cookers) as a potential food source for shipwrecked sailors.
    I read about pig hunting in high school in the early 1970s and have been hunting them in 3 states since the late 70s. There are small pockets of Eurasian boar decedents, but most are true ferals, the result of many years of domestic pigs reverting back to their original, wild state. After only a few generations, they turn black, hairy, more muscular and grow large tusks. Full grown boars can range from 250 - 1000lbs depending on environment and diet. They all have a dark red meat, but those that live of crop raids tend to have small tusks and less worms or disease. The ones from more arid parts of the outback live on carrion and whatever they can kill. They tend to larger tusks and less healthy meat. Their numbers in the outback, and their effect on farming/ranching is unbelievable. A steady trade in wild game meat sprung up after the Chernobyl disaster and its effect on European wild boar. There are "chillers" everywhere in rural Australia to service the European demand for wild game meat. BTW, I use a Savage M99C in 308W for pigs.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Milky Duck View Post
    here in NZ a big boar will go a little over 200lb VERY few get much bigger....525lb is a mindblowing figure and Im told some get bigger..... thats a whole heap of pork.watched a few video clips of them being shot from choppers,texas I believe it was,loads of clips on internet showing it being done. crazy numbers of animals.
    Similar story in my part of Oz. Most mature boars in Tropics and sub-Tropics start at about 50" nose to butt of tail. The BIG ones go over 60". My biggest ever was 66", estimated weight 125 kg. Sample size about 9,500.

Formula for weight estimate I have used is heart girth squared, times length from poll (ridge at back of head) to butt of tail, divided by 400 to get weight in pounds, divided by 2.2 to get kgs. Cloth tape measure is easier to carry than spring balance and block and tackle. Saw somewhere that it may read under by a few % on big boars. Would be interested in length and girth measurements on these 1000 lb pigs.
    Last edited by Wilderness; 04-17-2023 at 06:11 AM.
    It'll be handy if I never need it.

Insomniac, agnostic, dyslectic - awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.

Boolit Buddy

Funny that this post showed up now. A week ago a farmer about 60 miles away shot a pig that supposedly was attacking. Picture looked like a large pig but no details were given. Pig was collected by G&F for testing to determine if feral or not. As posted G&F earlier it is illegal to shoot ( except when threatened), Supposed to report so they can handle. We all know how well things go when you have Govt take care of things. GW

Boolit Master
    I would like to SEE photos of these 1000lb pigs.....thats a 2year old cattle beast size.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Duck View Post
    I would like to SEE photos of these 1000lb pigs.....thats a 2year old cattle beast size.
    https://gon.com/hunting/1100-lb-fera...-in-fayette-co
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    This fellow has rather a short snout for a multi-generational feral hog.
    Last edited by Wilderness; 04-18-2023 at 04:46 AM.
    It'll be handy if I never need it.

Insomniac, agnostic, dyslectic - awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness View Post
    This fellow has rather a short snout for a multi-generational feral hog.
    But it is very dark that suggests it has feral and domestic genes in it. Looks like a super pig to me. To reach that size it must have some good eats somewhere.

Boolit Master
    I hope they don’t get here.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    My son worked on a ranch near Hondo where they flew a chopper over the place with two marksmen; they killed about 300 from the air in one day on 2000 acres. They burned a few piles but most were left for a scavengers.

A month later, they were seeing hogs again on the same pastures…there are more hogs than people in Texas.
    Yeah, around Houston they started looking like a possible solution to the homeless problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12