Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Night vision scope review with hog kill video

Cast Hunter

Night vision scope review with hog kill video

Here’s a review of my ATN-X 4K 3-14x night vision scope.

https://rumble.com/v2fs7de-hog-down.html

I’ve had it for about a year and took a deer with it in day mode last fall, but this was my first night hunt with it. I’ll give the good, the bad, and the ugly.

The Good:
    Takes still shot photos and video with the touch of a button which I find very amusing. The one shot zero works very well. You can save multiple zeros in different profiles for various ammo loads. The attached infrared illuminator has 3 settings (Lo, Med, Hi). I could see very well to shoot on Low at 100 yards. Not sure how far you could see on high, but I would think it would be a good distance. Good battery life. The internal battery is rated at 14 hours. I know I had it on for up to 6 hours without losing much juice on the icon. You can also carry a USB power bank to charge it back up in the field (like you would a cell phone).

The Bad:
    This is basically a small video camera that works in daylight or at night. The picture you get is not nearly as clear and crisp as a regular optical scope, but you can see well enough. Its heavy compared to normal scopes and you will notice the extra weight you’re carrying.

The Ugly:
    In day mode it likes to freeze up sometimes and you have to do a hard shutdown and restart which takes about 20 seconds. Very annoying. It’s a known issue as the owner’s manual actually tells you to do the shutdown when the screen freezes. Hopefully a future firmware update will solve this. Night mode hasn’t done this, so hopefully that will continue to behave. You can use night mode during the day without issue, it just gives you a black and white screen instead of color, so at least that’s a fallback. When it does freeze, it happens within the first couple minutes. If it makes it past that point it’s been fine for the duration.

Would I recommend ATN? No, not until they solve the occasional freezing issue. I’ll make do with this unit, but would like to see an improvement.

Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Buddy

Nice video and write up. Hopefully you're able to remove more hogs and fill the freezer.

I have one and not had many problems with it.
    Compared to night scopes of a few years ago, you cannot have a lot of grief with it compared to what you would pay for a generation 3- or 4-night scope.
    I find mine a lot of fun, that is what I want, I don't need it to put food on the table.
    To me it is a toy, if you need to depend your life on it, perhaps not so much.
    For what it does, it is pretty darn awesome for what it does.

I do not care for the X Sight I have, would not buy another. It is better than nothing at all, which is not saying very much. I have a laser sight, it is not all that much either.

I have a Thor 4 thermal scope, not mounted yet. Weather has been bad, so far this year. Rain and high winds. We will see how that works.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I have one and not had many problems with it.
    Compared to night scopes of a few years ago, you cannot have a lot of grief with it compared to what you would pay for a generation 3- or 4-night scope.
    I find mine a lot of fun, that is what I want, I don't need it to put food on the table.
    To me it is a toy, if you need to depend your life on it, perhaps not so much.
    For what it does, it is pretty darn awesome for what it does.
    I have the more simple x-sight, the 3-9 version without the bells and whistles found on the 3-14 and have had absolutely no problems. Perhaps I won the lottery, who knows. I also have two of the lower thermal LTV and again have had no issues. I have always believed that simpler is better?? I have used these item for over two years now and will report if I have any issues.