RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SKS 180gr cast load ???

Boolit Bub

SKS 180gr cast load ???

Hi,
    I'll start to reload 7.62x39 for my SKS.
    I slugged the bore at .313.
    My 160gr mold is not large enough but, my 180gr is a perfect size but, can't find data...

Do you have data for a 180gr cast bullet??? I have RED DOT, 5744, H335 in hand.
    Thanks
    Mat

Boolit Grand Master
    I seem to remember a jr1942 thread on this subject. I'll try and fish around to find it.

Did a search for "Junior1942" on this site and it finally located a really good research effort by Larry Gibson that is right up your alley. Too long to give your the Reader's Digest version. Use the search function and type in "Junior1942 SKS"to find it.
    Last edited by 725; 03-29-2023 at 10:58 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, I'll take a look!

Boolit Master
    http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/sks4.htm
    Here's the link to Junior's article.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks, pipehand & wesson357, been awhile since I've read Junior's stuff. He was different, but a real treasure to our site. I miss his writings.

Boolit Bub
    I've read somewhere 5744 powder can be used in almost any cartridge at 40%min 48%max (case filled to bullet base =100%) with cast bullets.
    Someone had tried that with a 180gr?

Just found this site. Very usefull infos!

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/07/acc...#axzz7xaLYDHa2
    Last edited by wesson357; 03-31-2023 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pipehand View Post
    That is one heavy pill, good grief.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pipehand View Post
    Thanks I downloaded all four articles and made myself a PDF. Some of this might work for other rifles chambered in 7.62x39 as guide for at least starting loads.

Boolit Master

I have mentioned that Junior's work as posted on this site should be made a 'sticky'; still waiting.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm with you bloodman14. I enjoyed bantering with Junior and love his articles. I even bought some of the stuff from him little side business.

Boolit Master

Indeed, he was a treasure! I have printed off the articles mentioned in this thread; info too good to be lost. RIP Junior Doughty.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

I too have run the lee 185 gr gas check in the SKS.

I was using IMR 4895 and I figured "Ok, I'm increasing payload by a third, so lets decrease powder charge by a third."

Seemed to work, no issues, no leading, no problems of any kind. And my groups tightened up considerably.

It was the only gun/load that could consistently tip over my target steel frame. Took 2 shots, when the steel reached the farthest point on the back swing, fire one more and FLOP it would go down. Being cast they did not penetrate the steel like Jacketed would. But they did knock the paint off the back side where they hit.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Bloodman sorry but I disagree with your sig. "The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992"

Back in 1791 when the 2nd amendment was ratified. Every healthy man of 18 years of age who could arm himself was in a militia.

They had no national guard, no standing army, no state troopers, no police really. They had Militia's who defended their own community's at need.

What need have we of Militia's now?
    But that does NOT invalidate our right to keep and bear arms. Supreme court in both Heller and Bruin have pretty emphatically made that point.

Don't want to believe me, fine. Check out the 4 boxes diner youtube channel and Mark Smith. Get yourself an edumacation.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    ^^^Wrong forum area for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    ...Took 2 shots, when the steel reached the farthest point on the back swing, fire one more and FLOP it would go down. Being cast they did not penetrate the steel like Jacketed would. But they did knock the paint off the back side where they hit.
    I do such with cast loads on several types of targets. Fun stuff!!

A fellow engineer decided to make up some swinging targets. He did the usual. If you want something to swing you put bearings on it First shot to hit and the thing started spinning almost too fast to see. Took about 10 min for it to slow down. Second time it started spinning there was a contest to see if someone could stop it. That was fun!

Boolit Bub
    Hi,
    Just tried some sks loads. I'm quite happy.
    50 meters
    Lee 180gr cast powder coated .315"
    COL: 2.150"
    H335 powder
    17.0gr: 1106 fps group: 1.105"
    18.0gr: 1230 fps group: 1.170"
    All cycles the action well.

Accurate 5744
    11.0gr: 1072 fps group: 0.955" 50m
    Don't cycle.
    Need to make more tests but, I'm good with 2 moa with an SKS with open sights.
    Last edited by wesson357; 04-04-2023 at 08:22 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well done, wesson357. One of these days I'm going to try that. Keep us up to date with your efforts.

Boolit Master
    Heck, 3MOA with a run of the mill SKS or AK I'd consider a success. Good work.

Boolit Master

Um, that line was a quote from Mr. Konecki during some Congressional hearing or other, GhostHawk. I forget which one, off the top of my head. Mods, no need to punish, as far as I am concerned.
    Lead Forever!

John Galt was here.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Bloodman sorry but I disagree with your sig. "The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992"

Back in 1791 when the 2nd amendment was ratified. Every healthy man of 18 years of age who could arm himself was in a militia.

They had no national guard, no standing army, no state troopers, no police really. They had Militia's who defended their own community's at need.

What need have we of Militia's now?
    But that does NOT invalidate our right to keep and bear arms. Supreme court in both Heller and Bruin have pretty emphatically made that point.

Don't want to believe me, fine. Check out the 4 boxes diner youtube channel and Mark Smith. Get yourself an edumacation.
    I "think" that is sarcasm in his signature, since the quote following it is directly from the text of the second amendment shown below:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

On topic, I haven't loaded 180's for my sks, but I have used the Lee 169 and 170 gr molds with success. Those loads were as accurate as anything else. It was a long time ago but I think I got the data from the Lyman cast bullet manual.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Bub
    Next test at 50m.
    Less than 1" with 14.0gr of 5744 and 19.0gr of H335. Can not ask more.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230502_111936.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	313625

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast