Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FX Maverick VP in .22 cal

Boolit Buddy

FX Maverick VP in .22 cal

I have just bough one of this PCP and it is on its way to my home in a couple of days more.
    I had been drooling on having one for quite some time and finally I was able to afford it.
    I am adding this to the list of retirement rifles and I think I will have a lot of fun with it ( low cost trigger time for sure).
    Camba

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am envious. Do tell us more about it once you've received it and got some trigger time with it

Boolit Buddy
    The brown truck just delivered it to my home. I will open the box tomorrow and check the details. I want to open it right now but I am baby seating my grand kids this afternoon.
    I will definitely report after taking to the shooting range.

Boolit Master
    Congrats.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you Outer!

I just got a Mav sniper in .30, I found used liners and the hardware for .22 and .25 as well. I am super impressed with the NOE 250-34-RF-BR3 4 Cavity RG4 HB mold, they shoot very well for a hand cast pellet.

Boolit Buddy
    I need to get a gun case, a moderator, and a good scope for my fx maverick.
    Any suggestion?

Boolit Master

Take a look at Hawk scopes on pyramid air.
    Can't help with a scope. Moderator you will more than likely have to get from an FX dealer
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Buddy
    I am culling the centerfire herd to fund a PCP .either a 22 FX or a RAW. Cant wait!! Mal in au.

For that gun I would be looking at an SKB or Pelican Hard case that is lockable. too nice a gun to put in a safe or bang around in a car trunk in a soft case. You could fit all your accessories in that case with the gun and have everything together in one place.

I'm big on "Kits."

All my good Shotguns live in hard cases and there is an LAPG Bail Out Bag with all of the stuff that goes with each gun. Ammo, Chokes, Bore Snake Etc. My Carbines all reside in Big Soft Tactical Cases that are heavily padded and have pockets for everything on the side. Each one has numerous Full Magazines, Tool Kit, Cleaning Kit, and instructions for the gun. Nice to have instructions handy if you need to fix something beyond normal Maintenance.

Same with Pistols, These are all Grab N Go, ready to go strait to war if necessary.

If you aren't acquainted with LA Police Gear you really need to check them out. They make the best quality Bags, Back Packs, Clothing, Coats, and Duty Wear, and they sell all the good accessory stuff as well. They are approved by the LA Sheriffs Dept. for duty wear. Their prices are much Lower than the big name brands and the quality is so much better it is almost criminal. I buy lots of stuff from them

https://lapolicegear.com/

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy

Well,
    I bought a Vortex 4x16x44 FFP scope and is heading my way. I also found a perfect hard case that fits the gun and accessories. It is a Browning that looks and feels like the Pelican case. Now I will be pursuing the DonnyFL Tanto moderator.

I took it to the range, today for some trigger time with Crossman Premiere 14.3gr pellets. When the wind calmed down, I was able to print 5 shots to near 1/2” group; but then, the wind blow and the group started to move to about 1” to the left of the original group.
    It is really fun to shoot. A couple of times I ended up double loading because I did not rack the bolt all the way back.
    The bolt feels like butter smooth.
    Last edited by Camba; 04-09-2023 at 06:29 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    The scope in the picture is a Bushnell 4.5x18x40 just to take it to the range and do trigger time. Can’t wait for the Vortex Diamondback Tactical to arrive.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Camba View Post
    Well,
    ...Now I will be pursuing the DonnyFL Tanto moderator...
    Go to Airgunnation.com and look in the classifieds. I have seen quite a few DonnyFL moderators for sale as of late.

Boolit Buddy

I think I will postpone the suppressor since it is not too loud for now. However, I do like to get a bipod and mount some sling to carry it in the woods for squirrel hunting.
    I prefer not to drill anything to mount slings. Any good ideas for mounting slings?

Any bipod suggestions?
    Thank you.
    Camba

P.s.: I have shot more pellets in one week than what I shot in years with my other airguns.

Last edited by Camba; 05-05-2023 at 04:44 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Camba View Post

P.s.: I have shot more pellets in one week than what I shot in years with my other airguns.

Funny I was just telling the wife the same thing about my DAR and AVA. Wish I was in a better way at the moment I would have one of these and honestly think I would shoot more in one year then I have in ten. I hope you enjoy it.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Buddy
    On moderators i´d say shop around a bit.
    Donny FL in its own rights, but as i´ve touched upon here numerous times a REALLY efficient moderator really needs to be fitted to the rifle in case.

In generic terms for these, i relative terms, low power guns length is of greater importance than diameter when it comes to suppressing noise.
    When then is enough enough?
    Well.
    Let me put it this way, a gun like your 22cal Maverick, with a well setup mod what you as a shooter should be hearing is the hammer spring expand and the rushing of the hammer.
    So yes. Dead quiet in short.

What do i mean by "fitted to the gun"?
    Well. Moderator efficiency is to a large degree about through hole diameters. Playing this game linearity between barrel and moderator is literally everything why a moderator setup should be setup using a dial indicator on a lathe or similar.
    Yes. I´m all to aware that not all stock one of those, but at that rate it´d be an idea to seek your local machine shop up with a bag of rolls for their coffee break and ask for like 15mins of help on the matter.
    Setting a mod up to be linear is a matter of using brute force to "direct" the moderator to where it needs to be. Simple as that, and doing so will let you decrease the need for through hole diameter = a WAY more silent setup in the end.

As moderators as well as suppressors are permit exempt anyway you regard it to me over here where i live i do buy them on occasion just as well as make my own.
    That baffle design is of importance is to be concluded, where so called "K baffles" using "deflector opening" next to the through hole no doubt works very well.
    However.
    For 22lr as well as PCP guns so does wadding. Again, length of greater importance when talking these smaller low power calibers than diameter of the can i these days more often than not build my own a tad longer than what can normally be bought ending up with 5-7 chamber jobbies.
    So called wipes are just plain out as these rob the gun of ANY and all accuracy. Close tolerance through holes tho ARE the ticket here and for a 22cal gun i rarely go pass 6mm diameter, which IS close but when going "anal" on the subject can sure be taken down smaller still.

So. Shop around. If you end up liking a certain moderator don´t be afraid to pick it apart to replace the baffles and end cap both if the diameters happen to be on the large side and you can have the setup indexed using a dial indicator.
    Yes.
    It DOES make for a difference.

Thanks for the short class. You just dispelled two misconceptions of mine.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you for the advice on the moderator. I will wait a while.

I had an interesting happen to me last Friday. I was bragging about my fx rifle to my son in law and off we went to the range to check it out. To my surprise,
    I could not even hit the paper at 50 yards!
    I thought my scope moved. I raise the elevation to max and still had to hold the crosshair at the button of the cross to hit the target. Then I noticed the rainbow trajectory of the pellet, like if I was throwing it by hand.
    I had to put the gun away to check it at home. Before I checked it, I search the web to see if this was a problem of the fx guns. Sure enough, I found a similar problem happen to someone that ended getting it send to Pyramidair to replace a part of the bolt.
    I was not happy to know I may have to do that too.
    This afternoon coming from work, I thought of checking the power dial. I found it set at 1 instead of 7. I don’t know how it got there. It feels like it could be moved with very little effort. The good thing: it does work great when I set it back to 7.
    I was a little embarrassed to say the list.
    Has something like that happen to you?
    Camba

Boolit Buddy
    I hope there’s nothing else. I will have to test it at the range next weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast