Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger- Super Wrangler

Boolit Master

New Ruger- Super Wrangler

http://redirect.viglink.com/?key=71f...er/models.html

Could be a home run if they improve their quality control. I swore off buying any new Rugers about 5 years ago. I got sick and tired of sending new handguns back for repairs.
    Last edited by snowwolfe; 04-03-2023 at 11:23 PM.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    its already a piece of junk..they just improved on junk?

Boolit Grand Master

Trying to change a sows snout into a silk purse!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

It's about time. As soon as the local store has one, I'm buying it. It was really dumb of them not to have sights on them in the first place.

Single-Six was the first gun I owned, Christmas present, 7 year old kid (1968), with two or three cylinders if I remember correctly. I've loved every Ruger I've had, so must not know about these QC issues. I see they still produce a "new model" Single Six. Is this "Super Wrangler" a bad buy, or a good entry for someone (like a kid)?
    -Paul

Rugers can be good or no so good. Make'm quick with little quality control and let the customer send it back, but most don't rather they live with it, fix it themselves or trade them off. i say this having worked on many Rugers but in the end they work just fine for me, after some tune ups.

I'm not sure what the problem is with the Wranglers. The two I have always go "bang" when they should. Granted, they are "entry level" guns and built to a price point and I don't expect them to feel the same as a Blackhawk or Vacquero but for what they are they seem fine to me. (And build quality beats the heck out of those Heritage Rough Riders - in my opinion)

JMHO

-Ron
    Who is John Galt?

Boolit Master
    I did a poor man's trigger job on mine, and it does pretty well with CCI Standard velocity 22LR.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    Is this "Super Wrangler" a bad buy, or a good entry for someone (like a kid)?

FYI

The original Wrangler, like the original Single Six, were issued without an adjustable rear sight; the "Super" upgrade for both is the addition of a protected rear sight that's adjustable for both windage & elevation....

While a SA revolver sans an adjustable sight can be zeroed (eventually), the adjustable sight makes zeroing with different loads easier - which may or may not be an issue for a kid.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Bash the Ruger Wrangler if you wish. Or heck, Rugers in general.

But realize they are the #1 builder & seller of firearms in America. And they have a solid reputation for "Rugged, reliable" guns.

Yes,, they, like ALL manufacturers of any mass produced product, (and even a few hand built products,) will have a small percentage of their product that needs a return to the factory for adjustment or correction. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY makes any product all the time with 100% perfection. If Ruger (or anybody tried this,,) the costs would be so high, that very few could afford them. Just look at Freedom Arms. A year & half backlog, and even they have had a small percentage get returned for a flaw. And the cost of a FA FAR exceeds a Ruger.

The Wrangler is a fine gun for it's purposes.
    Less expensive to buy. (A good thing nowadays.)
    Excellent quality for the price point.
    Capable of solid field use,, but not designed for match grade.
    Various models to give folks plenty of options.

Everything has gotten more expensive to produce. Plus demands have created the necessity of mass production for a company to stay in business. Gun companies no longer have "gun people" or "gunsmiths," or whatever working on the assembly line. Gone are the days of gun making like in the 50's, 60's & 70's. Between regulations, unions, insurance, bean counters, stockholders, wages, materials expenses, & a host of other things, the only way to get a gun like you desire w/o little issues,, is to buy from a custom maker or a place like Freedom Arms.
    Anybody remember the days when Bill Ruger was running things?
    Very good quality,, yet even then they had guns returned.
    But even more common, was the introduction of a new design or model, and it would be 2-3 years before the demand cooled & production allowed the common guy to see or buy one. Production could not keep up with demand. Introduce a new gun, and you MIGHT see a few of them show up, and unless you were tied into a big gunshop, or had friends or just lucky,, you didn't get one for quite a while.

So the Ruger bashers,, I challenge you to go to work for Ruger yourselves & see how it's done & you demand that they do as you wish. I can say this because I was offered a job at Ruger, and I have visited a plant, and studied how they make their guns. Plus,, I also studied their wages & benefits. I was amazed at the fact that they are very capable at what they do for the prices they charge for their guns.

Is the Wrangler or Super Wrangler perfect? No.
    Is it a solid performer, mass produced, and still at a very good price point? Yes.
    Is it American made with American workers? Yes.

And judging by the sales of the Wranglers,, I see another success in this model, the Super Wrangler.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    Bash the Ruger Wrangler if you wish. Or heck, Rugers in general.

But realize they are the #1 builder & seller of firearms in America. And they have a solid reputation for "Rugged, reliable" guns.

Yes,, they, like ALL manufacturers of any mass produced product, (and even a few hand built products,) will have a small percentage of their product that needs a return to the factory for adjustment or correction. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY makes any product all the time with 100% perfection. If Ruger (or anybody tried this,,) the costs would be so high, that very few could afford them. Just look at Freedom Arms. A year & half backlog, and even they have had a small percentage get returned for a flaw. And the cost of a FA FAR exceeds a Ruger.

The Wrangler is a fine gun for it's purposes.
    Less expensive to buy. (A good thing nowadays.)
    Excellent quality for the price point.
    Capable of solid field use,, but not designed for match grade.
    Various models to give folks plenty of options.

Everything has gotten more expensive to produce. Plus demands have created the necessity of mass production for a company to stay in business. Gun companies no longer have "gun people" or "gunsmiths," or whatever working on the assembly line. Gone are the days of gun making like in the 50's, 60's & 70's. Between regulations, unions, insurance, bean counters, stockholders, wages, materials expenses, & a host of other things, the only way to get a gun like you desire w/o little issues,, is to buy from a custom maker or a place like Freedom Arms.
    Anybody remember the days when Bill Ruger was running things?
    Very good quality,, yet even then they had guns returned.
    But even more common, was the introduction of a new design or model, and it would be 2-3 years before the demand cooled & production allowed the common guy to see or buy one. Production could not keep up with demand. Introduce a new gun, and you MIGHT see a few of them show up, and unless you were tied into a big gunshop, or had friends or just lucky,, you didn't get one for quite a while.

So the Ruger bashers,, I challenge you to go to work for Ruger yourselves & see how it's done & you demand that they do as you wish. I can say this because I was offered a job at Ruger, and I have visited a plant, and studied how they make their guns. Plus,, I also studied their wages & benefits. I was amazed at the fact that they are very capable at what they do for the prices they charge for their guns.

Is the Wrangler or Super Wrangler perfect? No.
    Is it a solid performer, mass produced, and still at a very good price point? Yes.
    Is it American made with American workers? Yes.

And judging by the sales of the Wranglers,, I see another success in this model, the Super Wrangler.
    Nicely said, Well written - Thank you!
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master
    I have a first generation Wrangler, I think it’s awesome for under $200, it’s light enough with small enough grip that I can use it to teach our older boys (3, 5, 8, 11) how to shoot with it.

When $ allows, I’ll be buying a Super Wrangler, not for the mag cylinder, but mainly for the better, adjustable sights.

I like Ruger.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    FYI

The original Wrangler, like the original Single Six, were issued without an adjustable rear sight; the "Super" upgrade for both is the addition of a protected rear sight that's adjustable for both windage & elevation....

While a SA revolver sans an adjustable sight can be zeroed (eventually), the adjustable sight makes zeroing with different loads easier - which may or may not be an issue for a kid.

Thanks. Yep, given it was over a half century ago, all I can remember is how cool it was to switch out the cylinders, to go back into the "back side" of the local police range for pistol practice, plinking cans and hunting rabbits in our chapparal terrain. I was actually pretty decent back then, for a kid. This was my favorite until I got the gift of a lifetime in getting a Model '97, with its heavy octagonal barrel, just a few years later. That rifle was the most accurate critter killer I had for the longest time.

Miss them days.
    -Paul

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMetal View Post
    I'm not sure what the problem is with the Wranglers. The two I have always go "bang" when they should.
    Ditto, in fact I've never had a problem with any Ruger. I own two Wranglers and they do exactly the job they are supposed to do.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Banned
    Why doesn't Ruger just bring back the original steel Single Six and Super Single six? I can probably answer that, it's not cost effective and they can't make as much profit. The name of the game in the firearms industry (for that matter any industry) is profit.

Everyone I know who owns a Wrangler loves them. I’m interested in seeing one when they arrive.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TD1886 View Post
    Why doesn't Ruger just bring back the original steel Single Six and Super Single six? I can probably answer that, it's not cost effective and they can't make as much profit. The name of the game in the firearms industry (for that matter any industry) is profit.
    They still make the single six, and as far as I know never stopped. The problem is they are about $700 now. Most people, myself included want a 22 revolver as a toy. The Wranglers are about $200, and still pretty accurate.

Vendor Sponsor

The only dislike I have with Ruger rimfires is the .227" cylinder bore. They don't have a "chamber" like S&W and others, with the tapered leade in to the throat, Rugers are bored straight through .227" you can poke a round in the front of the cylinder and it will easily glide fully into the chamber. This is exact SAAMI specs for the 22LR "sporting" cylinder.

I wonder if the 22WMR cylinders are the same way? Even though the 22WMR bullet is .2245" I wonder if you can poke a round into the chamber from the front of the cylinder?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Off topic, aside from that Single-Six (yes, a continuous make. Isn't the big difference with the modern ones, the use of a transfer bar?), but I had a Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag and loved it. Regret the heck out of selling it. I actually want to shoot 45 LC and will probably get the Vaquero at some point. Ruger handguns are the only handguns I've owned (well, except a month or two with a Glock 4 in 10 mm), and now, I've got the Ruger .338 WM. When my gg goes, if I eventually shoot it out, I'd very happily replace it with a Ruger-Marlin 45-70, and likely a lever or two in other calibers. I love their firearms.
    -Paul

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    They still make the single six, and as far as I know never stopped. The problem is they are about $700 now. Most people, myself included want a 22 revolver as a toy. The Wranglers are about $200, and still pretty accurate.
    The Single Six is still catalogued, but I'm not sure how many are still coming off the line. Prompted by this thread, I poked around on the interwebs, looking for new ones at the usual outlets. Turns out the "Single" series are currently in very short supply. I finally found a blue, convertible, 4 5/8th -Six version, for $670 at one of the big box outdoors stores. "Huh," I said, and moved on. Then I started thinking about how Ruger is absolutely ruthless about dumping old models after they introduce something that could compete with it (I'm looking at you, SR9 pistol) and how they don't bother to tell us in advance when they are shutting a model down forever. As usual, I yielded to temptation.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast