Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price check on m1 Carbine

Boolit Master

Price check on m1 Carbine

im in the market for a m1 carbine.im looking for a shooter so all correct dont matter to me.Whats are the going prices these days? Seems prices are all over even for mix matched parts.

Boolit Grand Master

It's been a while since I've seen one sell for less than $1,000.00. $1,400.00 to $2,200.00 seems to be normal for this area.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Ditto. You don't want to buy a clunker, so figure about $1,200 for one of the more common military makes. You might consider buying one of the newly made Inland carbines....if you can find one.

DG

There were a bunch at the Harrisburg Gun Show this past weekend, starting around $1300.

Boolit Grand Master
    Just found a NIB Auto-Ordnance for $1099 on GunBroker with "Buy it Now". I would post the link, but it may not be allowed. Just do a search on GB.

Over 20 other M-1's listed.

I know many people hate GB but I use them a lot and see no reason to change. Of course, you can waste hours at a gun show and pay more...YMMV. Gun show "deals" are so rare I stopped attending them.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    im in the market for a m1 carbine.im looking for a shooter so all correct dont matter to me.Whats are the going prices these days? Seems prices are all over even for mix matched parts.
    Purchasing a firearm manufactured over seventy-eight years back is, to me, a "scary" proposition, compounded with the rather high demand for them -- not to exclude some dealers who are not, for lack of better terms, as ethical as you and I might wish. That said, a couple of decades back I bought an M1 carbine from a reputable dealer (SMART move on my behalf!!!) and -- hindsight, right? -- I researched it a tad after I got home with it. Turns out it had a barrel which was deemed NOT a good/safe manufacture on it. Again, as I was lucky, the dealer grumbled a lot -- but swapped it for me with a same-carbine-manufacturer with a known brand barrel -- at no more real bother than my return trip to his shop.
    You inquired "pricing" -- however, barnabus, quite frankly I'd put that as a secondary criteria to a safe, reliable firearm which will either hold, or increase in value with your ownership! In my region, if/when "seen" -- M1 carbines -- there were two at last LGS I went to -- had price tags of $1,895.00 USD and $2,250.00 USD, respectively. There are ECV ("extra collector value") additions to the base firearm -- e.g., "WWII bring backs"; NRA Coffin Carbines (those purveyed by the NRA in, I believe, the early 1960s which were shipped in cardboard coffin-shaped boxes) -- and it sounds like you are not into an ECV carbine.
    Whatever you seek, I strongly recommend having it checked out by someone knowledgeable in these firearms. Owning a "mixmaster" carbine is NOT bad.
    You did not indicate whether you are seeking a U S Military carbine, or, say, a commercial aftermarket? (Re these, *I* would NOT purchase a 2nd or 3rd generation Universal brand; others -- e.g., IAI, are imho OK).
    Inland (not the GM Division "Inland" from WWII production) has a modern repro marketed, if you can find one, and with all new, good parts, might not be a bad purchase -- I've seen these in $1,200.00 USD range. An article from NRA which may be of interest to you is at https://www.americanrifleman.org/con...on-m1-carbine/
    Good luck!
    geo

Boolit Master
    These days I'd go with a newly mfg version. No reason to mess with an old one with questionable barrel.

my winchester arsenal rebuild has been a joy to shoot, when i bought it i paid 700.00 usd with 1080 rounds of ammo. i have sense added a original sling-bayonet and 20 original magizines.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by YDGI View Post
    I’ve been shooting the M1 Carbine for a lot of years now and they are fun but if you do go with a 70 year old version you will probably be in for some work to make it shoot well. Lots of these are rebuilds and stock inletting can be poor and all can lead to jamming and accuracy problems. Good news is they can all be corrected but can take time to get it all working well. So you may spend 1800ish for a rifle you may have to put a lot of work into but worth it in my opinion if the barrel is good.
    Two really GOOD vendors I have personally dealt with, and highly recommend are Orion7 Enterprises (Anthony Pucci, Jr. and current manager, Michael Pucci -- his son) on Long Island, New York; and, Fulton Armory (when I dealt, Clint McKee was in charge) in Savage, Maryland. Not only do both of these shops have (literally!) tons of parts to fix just about any carbine made, but have the expertise to do it correctly! (Plus, they're great people to deal with!)

I add this response, as I'm reasonably certain any "Hoe handle" (aka what WAS a carbine ) you might send them will be returned in much better shape than many which were given to G I's 78 years ago! That a M1 Carbine you see is beat up in looks need not be thaaaat much of a deterrent...sd long as these two fellows are in business! (Also, there are several/many other good shops -- I'm not aspersing any of them, which I'm certain are also great -- it's just that I have personally bought firearms from both of these; and, have other arms repaired by them! To say I was and still am delighted would be an understatement!!!)
    geo

Boolit Master
    A friend of mine bought a new manufactured m1 recently. He was having problems with different lineages of ammo not firing and when I looked at it, I suggested that he check the headspace. All the unfired rounds were minimal allowable case length. He got a warranty repair and all is good. Don't know if that is common, but it's worth keeping an eye out for.
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Boolit Master
    The only new one I've fired was the Auto Ordnance. It digested everything we had, including some old surplus, and was around 2" at 75yd. Better than the AK clone I had at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    These days I'd go with a newly mfg version. No reason to mess with an old one with questionable barrel.
    That's a valid point.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Gee, they sure have gotten pricey. I wish I still had my Rockola, that I bought for a hundred bucks years ago.

Boolit Master

This is probably common knowledge but a properly fitted recoil lug makes a big difference in carbine accuracy. I traded a day’s labor for a 43 Inland about forty years ago. From a rest it was a consistent 9 moa with LC 55 FMJ. An old timer gunsmith told me the barrel should come to rest 1/4 to 3/8th inch above the end of the barrel inlet channel when the barreled action is set into the stock. From that position it takes very little pressure to seat the barrel fully. He was right. Tightening the recoil lug tightened the group to 3-4 inch at 100 yards.
    Sometimes it’s necessary to try several different lugs to get one that holds the action / barrel in the correct tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    This is probably common knowledge but a properly fitted recoil lug makes a big difference in carbine accuracy. I traded a day’s labor for a 43 Inland about forty years ago. From a rest it was a consistent 9 moa with LC 55 FMJ. An old timer gunsmith told me the barrel should come to rest 1/4 to 3/8th inch above the end of the barrel inlet channel when the barreled action is set into the stock. From that position it takes very little pressure to seat the barrel fully. He was right. Tightening the recoil lug tightened the group to 3-4 inch at 100 yards.
    Sometimes it’s necessary to try several different lugs to get one that holds the action / barrel in the correct tension.
    That’s good knowledge to have; thanks for that tip.
    What I need is to meet somebody that wants a couple of AR15s and will trade Dads/Grandpas M1 Carbine for them……..����

If I only knew. Back in the early 90’s when I had my ffl I was able to buy shooter grade M1 carbines for around $150. File that one in the “I wish I knew file”

Boolit Master
    I have passed on a lot of 'good deals' over the years.

As a kid we had a store called Yellow Front (not the same one as today). It was kind of a cross between a hardware and outdoor sporting goods store. They had those fiber barrels at the end of the isles. One was filled with Carbines for $19. The other had mostly Mauser 98's for $29 and some 03's for $39. Over the years people bought up the Mausers and 03's but the Carbines remained almost untouched. The hunters in our area deemed them not worthy of a hunting rifle. After another couple of years the barrel of Carbines just went away. FWIW, that same year I bought my first rifle, a new Rem bolt action .22 for $49.

Boolit Buddy
    There are new carbines being manufactured but don't pass up on Universal M 1's. Made in Florida, the early 80's production is very good, perhaps another option.

Boolit Master
    im not interested at this point in a repro but a really nice original to go with my garand and 03A3

Guess I stole my last Inland carbine I picked up last summer.

$800 with a couple hundred rounds of ammo, a half dozen magazines, canvas magazine pouches with canvas belt and canvas sling.

Plus 4 full boxes of Sierra 170 grain, .307 bullets for loading 30-30's. He thought the bullets were used in the carbine. I pointed out they weren't for the carbine but he threw them in anyway.

It had all belonged to his brother who passed away and he just wanted it gone.

And it shoots well.

Just cast up ~1000 NOE 120 G/C boolits for it and my daughter's Postal Meter and the other Inland that has taken up permanent residence in my gun safe. It had belonged to one of my college buddies dad. I've had it for probably 25 years. Jeff said if he ever wanted it back, he knew where it's at.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast