Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lynyrd Skynyrd Royalties Still Bringin' Home The Bacon

Vendor Sponsor

Lynyrd Skynyrd Royalties Still Bringin' Home The Bacon

I was glad to see Ed King enjoying his income buying a nice but modest home in Nashville, and he was able to invest in a few choice guitars which he would post videos of him playing these iconic and extremely collectible guitars on his Facebook page, he would often show the parts he played on the Skynyrd classics, just Ed and the guitar plugged straight into a vintage Fender amp, priceless....

Primary Wave Music has acquired the artist royalties of late Lynyrd Skynyrd founding member and drummer Bob Burns, whose credits include recordings on the band’s first two albums, 1973’s (Pronounced ‘Lĕh-‘nérd ‘Skin-‘nérd) and 1974’s Second Helping, plus subsequent compilations that those tracks appear on.

While exact terms of the deal were not disclosed, the company said it was a multi-million deal. This was a deal inked for Bob Burns' royalties that his family still receives for his contributions to the first two Lynyrd Skynyrd albums. I hope his family benefits from those early recordings.

In the U.S., the Southern rock band’s entire catalog has averaged 666,000 album consumption units over the last three years, according to Luminate. Of that, the band’s Second Helping album accounted for almost 182,000 units over that time period, while the historical data for the first album was unavailable from Luminate at press time. Those albums include many of their signature songs, namely “Free Bird,” “Sweet Home Alabama,” “Gimme Three Steps,” and “Simple Man.”

Burns died in a car accident on April 3, 2015 in Cartersville, Ga. at the age of 64. The band’s last surviving original member, Gary Rossington, died earlier this month at 71. Lynyrd Skynyrd's Catalog Up 16% in Streams After Gary Rossington's Death

“Lynyrd Skynyrd’s first two albums are timeless and are celebrated to this day,” Primary Wave Music’s svp of business & legal affairs Samantha Rhulen said in a statement. She goes on: “To have Bob Burns’ contribution to this iconic music as part of our catalog is an incredible honor and the team at Primary Wave will ensure that his legacy is recognized by generations to come.”

According to Luminate, Skynyrd has garnered 27.1 million album consumption units in the U.S. According to the Primary Wave announcement, the band has been ranked on several best-of lists, including Rolling Stone‘s “100 Greatest Artists of All Time” — and in 2006, they were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Primary Wave continues to be a leading buyer of legacy rock and R&B. In the last six months, it has acquired entirely or an interest in the publishing and/or recording artist royalty income streams in the catalogs of Doors members Robby Krieger and Ray Manzarek, punk icon Joey Ramone, songwriter and E Street Band member Stevie Van Zandt, and Huey Lewis and The News.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Long live the Guitar Army !

Boolit Master

IF, I remember correctly I went to their ten year reunion when I was stationed at Camp Pendleton.
    No better music.
    But I was worried about getting high from second hand weed smoke!!!
    It was still a awesome time!!!!

Boolit Master

Here is the Russian Army doing Sweet Home Alabama. they are backing up a Finnish rock group called "Leningrad Cowboys".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5GRpA5H3CI

Boolit Grand Master
    One of my all time favorite bands.
    Back when music was still music.
    Not like the rubbish out these days.

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    One of my all time favorite bands.
    Back when music was still music.
    Not like the rubbish out these days.
    Mine also. I still listen to them on regular basis.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    Alexa, play Lenyrd Skynyrd

Boolit Buddy
    Anything but Saturday Night Special

Banned

skynyrd was anti gun that is what saturday night special is about. there not the good old boys some southerns think. just another hippy rock band drunk or stoned 90 percent of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    skynyrd was anti gun that is what saturday night special is about. there not the good old boys some southerns think. just another hippy rock band drunk or stoned 90 percent of the time.
    One can't really box them up and stick them in the anti gun category. If I was to label them, I'd put them into the Elmer Fudd category. The song in question was written 7 years after the passing of the GCA of 1968. It was a big deal at the time and dominated the news headlines . 'Saturday night special' was the buzz word at the time of the anti gun leftists and referred cheaply built, easily obtained, pocket pistols. Ronny Van Zandt was know to have, hunt with, and carry a .22 pistol. The other band members were also know to have grown up in typical southern families with traditional hunting and fishing traditions and strong religious morals.
    Here's a link to two of my favorite songs that are anything but anti gun;
    Gimme Back My Bullets;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pyo2f0uMBA
    Mississippi Kid;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmdxiJ2maZQ
    So there's twice as many songs by them that are anything but anti gun.
    As far as calling them 'hippies', one would have to define the word. Simply having long hair does not make someone a hippie. Hippie to me defines a typical long hair leftist commie. These guys strongly stood for the traditional religious family values and way of life as viewed from a southern mans perspective. Drunk and stoned? Yes most rebellious young men enjoy their drug of choice, but unlike a typical hippie, these guys liked to fight and fight hard and were known for it. They would stomp a hippie on Saturday night just for fun. These guys lived hard, played hard, and made no apologies for who and what they stood for. In these crazy times we find ourselves, I wish we had more examples like them.
    Deplorable infidel

Banned

sorry but VanZant was a big fan of jimmy carter too. couple rare real pro gun god and country rockers are ted Nugent and kid rock. funny thing there both yankees from michigan

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
    Here is the Russian Army doing Sweet Home Alabama. they are backing up a Finnish rock group called "Leningrad Cowboys".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5GRpA5H3CI
    That was one of the strangest things I've seen but they did a great take of the classic but about a half beat or so slow says my musician wife
    Last edited by jonp; 04-05-2023 at 06:22 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    sorry but VanZant was a big fan of jimmy carter too. couple rare real pro gun god and country rockers are ted Nugent and kid rock. funny thing there both yankees from michigan
    lol, did you see Kid Rock shooting up Bud Light cans to express his thoughts on AB signing a Tranny to represent the brand?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Simple Man was their best song, in my opinion. Sweet Home Alabama wasn't bad either. But I would gladly go the rest of my life never hearing those two again if it meant I also never had to hear Free Bird, Saturday Night Special or That Smell again.
    As for southern rock bands, Allman Brothers were so much better that there is no comparison.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    One can't really box them up and stick them in the anti gun category. If I was to label them, I'd put them into the Elmer Fudd category. The song in question was written 7 years after the passing of the GCA of 1968. It was a big deal at the time and dominated the news headlines . 'Saturday night special' was the buzz word at the time of the anti gun leftists and referred cheaply built, easily obtained, pocket pistols. Ronny Van Zandt was know to have, hunt with, and carry a .22 pistol. The other band members were also know to have grown up in typical southern families with traditional hunting and fishing traditions and strong religious morals.
    Here's a link to two of my favorite songs that are anything but anti gun;
    Gimme Back My Bullets;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pyo2f0uMBA
    Mississippi Kid;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmdxiJ2maZQ
    So there's twice as many songs by them that are anything but anti gun.
    As far as calling them 'hippies', one would have to define the word. Simply having long hair does not make someone a hippie. Hippie to me defines a typical long hair leftist commie. These guys strongly stood for the traditional religious family values and way of life as viewed from a southern mans perspective. Drunk and stoned? Yes most rebellious young men enjoy their drug of choice, but unlike a typical hippie, these guys liked to fight and fight hard and were known for it. They would stomp a hippie on Saturday night just for fun. These guys lived hard, played hard, and made no apologies for who and what they stood for. In these crazy times we find ourselves, I wish we had more examples like them.
    In the documentary on the band the drummer stated he didn't have guns etc. Surprised me for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Bear View Post
    In the documentary on the band the drummer stated he didn't have guns etc. Surprised me for sure.
    Can you point me to the documentary? I'd like to see it. The only one I remember seeing was focused on the plane crash.
    Deplorable infidel

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    lol, did you see Kid Rock shooting up Bud Light cans to express his thoughts on AB signing a Tranny to represent the brand?
    yes i did and it makes me proud to live in a state that gave us ted Nugent and kid rock'. not my favorite music but at least they bleed red white and blue. couple guys that put there beliefs before there wallets

Boolit Buddy
    Can you point me to the documentary? I'd like to see it. The only one I remember seeing was focused on the plane crash.
    On Netflix. Called " If I leave here tomorrow ". Good watch.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Bear View Post
    Artimus is a USMC vet.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Vendor Sponsor

These guys lived hard, played hard, and made no apologies for who and what they stood for. In these crazy times we find ourselves, I wish we had more examples like them.
    You gotta think back to the times we/they were living in when Saturday Night Special was written. You could walk through the parking lot of most any high school and find pickups with open windows, rifle rack in the window with a rifle and a shotgun, there were NO mass shooters back then. Kids got in a fight in school, you duked it out behind the gym, you didn't run out and grab your gun and settle the score. It was unheard of.

The cheap $20 pawn shop pistols Ronnie was singing about were very much relegated to the black folks that frequented the nip joints and poker games and the juke joints of the south, it was a darker time then in their world, and shootings were common but nobody cared especially not the police, the entire South was still very racist, and if they was shooting each other, well that didn't much matter to the cops.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast