Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Best Way to Re Powder Coat 2nd Time

Best Way to Re Powder Coat 2nd Time

Been Powder coating for 1-2 years, I have Problem with my Red, and my New T. Orange, the other 4 colors come out well coated.
    I reviewed several Videos Last night, I have since acquired some Airsoft for better Static Performance.

Q. Should I size prior, the Splotchy Orange and Red Pwdr Coated Boolits, or just re shake, and Bake?

Thx,
    Barman54
    Out

If you heat the bullets it will improve sticking. Test on a small batch to confirm function.

I have pre heated powder coated bullets to approximately 140°F then tumbled a second layer, then baked as normal to cure.

It was about the limit to comfortably hold in my hand prior to tumbling. If you over heat them for example to above 200°F and try hot flocking you get gross blobs of powder stuck everywhere in the bullets and it makes the bullets basically unusable.

Will Give that a Try

Thx,

Barman54
    Out

If not too bad, size and shoot em. Splotchy comes from not flowing first during cooking. Oven maybe to hot? Some powders just go on lumpy and don't flow right, mostly black IMHO. Knocking off excess works too.
    Whatever!

Have you tried the smashing test to confirm the coating cured and bonded correctly?

Sometimes I smash my bullets over a steel plate with a four pounds sledge hammer and look for plastic and metal bullet cracks in the edges of the lead coin.

I shoot double coated in my ARs to 2,500 fps without a Gas Check to 3/10 inch groups at 100, this is how:
    I use Eastwood auto chrome powder coating, a large mouth air tight plastic jug, black air soft pellets, a heated red hot and bent spring loaded needle nose pliers, bent in a rounded curve until the points touch, a 1/4" hardware cloth open top box turned upside down, every other row of holes is rounded, using a large round punch, so the bullets hang nose down stopped on the ogive, a toaster oven with timer and heat setting, to do 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
    I put two T spoons of black PC in the jug with a double handfull od air soft pellets, shake well, then I pick the bullets out of the jug by the ogive using the needle nose pliers, set the bullets into the holes in the hardware cloth, then set the hardware clorh box in the oven, bake, allow to cool in the oven, remove and put back in the jug, shake for 2nd coat, repeat process, bake, cool, then size to the groove diameter, sizing dieusing case lube in the sizing die. I use plain base bullets, 70,20,10 alloy water dropped.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Not all powders act the ame.

Some colors will just give this effect.

I agree warming bullets prior to tumbling helps me gain better even coatings.

One issue with RE coating is thickness. Beware of this if its a GC bullet this may not be a option.

Here is my process hope it helps you.

https://youtu.be/vzSMkpf5SCY

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I always PC first so there is no chance of the boolits getting contaminated from leftover lube in the sizer. Also, lubed boolits are always easier to size, even after PCing them.

Boolit Buddy

Mix your powder paints

I've PC'd as long as you. Some paints I've used have flowed well and some have not, leaving blotches. Two coats seems too time consuming to me. I've tried warming bullets at a 250 degrees setting and the results to me were less than ideal. I'll try another test later with powder known to bake on blotchy. I've also tried mixing colors. I mixed an orange I have that baked blotchy and a white that baked on blotchy, the result can be seen here. It baked smooth and looked pretty good to me. I plan to mix a dark purple (almost black) and white next and expect a granite color result. Have fun.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PCExperiment.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	312590Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4878.jpg 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	312591
    Last edited by BJung; 04-04-2023 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BJung View Post
    I've PC'd as long as you. Some paints I've used have flowed well and some have not, leaving blotches. Two coats seems too time consuming to me. I've tried warming bullets at a 250 degrees setting and the results to me were less than ideal. I'll try another test later with powder known to bake on blotchy. I've also tried mixing colors. I mixed an orange I have that baked blotchy and a white that baked on blotchy, the result can be seen here. It baked smooth and looked pretty good to me. I plan to mix a dark purple (almost black) and white next and expect a granite color result. Have fun.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PCExperiment.jpg 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	312590Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4878.jpg 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	312591
    My 2nd time reheating Boolits did not work as well as I would have thought.
    So, I resized them, only 25, re-read the Instructions, added some white Airsoft Pellets.
    They had that "Fuzzy" look, so I baked them. Came out better, but not as well as some other Colors, Not as Splotchy, good enough for a Low Power load.
    Really wanted a Good Orange Boolit?

Thx,
    Barman54
    Out

Guess I will try to Swirl them for 2 Minutes, and see if I get better application, if not will for a Wee bit longer?

Boolit Buddy
    I've read online that the best way to apply PC is using the Eastwood PC gun than the Harbor Freight PC gun. Search for reviews. You still might get that nice orange bullet you're looking for.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    I’ve been powder coating for almost ten years and I still have trouble with red and orange . Like others have said some colors just work much easier than others.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

I propose that: If you apply these techniques to improve powder adhesion to fresh cast bullets, then you may see better results than in the past.

Also: it may be time to try a powder that functions better for your purposes. I really like the ultra durable clear powders. They are awesome for handguns, revolvers, and rifles.

Tumble the powder on as a flat white, it's so easy. It becomes clear when the powder flashes to cure. The clear coat skin is slippery and hard and works great for my purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Barman54 View Post
    So, I resized them, only 25, re-read the Instructions, added some white Airsoft Pellets.
    They had that "Fuzzy" look, so I baked them. Came out better, but not as well as some other Colors, Not as Splotchy, good enough for a Low Power load.

Thx,
    Barman54
    Out

Guess I will try to Swirl them for 2 Minutes, and see if I get better application, if not will for a Wee bit longer?
    Here is my next step using Traffic Orange.
    I have two Frankford Arsenal Tumblers, 3 if I count the one with the short in the wiring, Plus my BIG Dillon, I can use the extra Bowl, if need be.
    I plan to use one of them to Powder Coat using Traffic Orange, get tired of swirling over 1 Minute, so I will run them in my Tumbler, for more time.
    When the Boolits get good and "Fuzzy" I will bake them AGAIN, for the 3rd time.
    I have already sized for the 2nd time.
    Once I find the correct time for Mixing, I will do the rest of them, Pending removal of Factory Lube, making them Naked.

I Like and WILL Buy more Pwdr Coating from, Our Vendor from Smoke 4320, just trying to get Good Application, with the Red, and Orange.

Thanks,
    Barman54
    Out

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Barman54 View Post

Thx,
    Barman54
    Out

These are some light 38 bullets... I used Kubota orange, swirled and tumbled them for around a minute. Then dumped them into a wire basket, lightly bounced them to knock off any excess powder, then baked... I think they will do nicely... I'm loading them now and hope to try them tomorrow afternoon, if all goes well....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC orange 38 107gr.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	313032

OSHA safety bullets

Boolit Buddy
    ..... and.... loaded.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC orange 38 107gr load.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	313035

Nice looking Boolits

My 3rd Time was Better than before.
    Will take the Advise to mix with another Neutral Color, see another Purchase coming, maybe a White?

Barman54
    Out