Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Fiber wad ???

Fiber wad ???

Just getting into loading brass 410 shells. Bought some wool felt from Durafelt to make filler wads for over nitro cards to take up space and cushion. Question is what is the wax for in some fiber wads and would it accomplish anything to soak my homemade felt wads in melted wax ?

Boolit Master

Since you're not using a plastic shotcup to protect the bore from leading I think the wax would act as a lubricant to help scrub any lead particles from your barrel. I have no experience with loads of this type, but I don't see any other purpose than a cleaning/lubricity function.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

Many years ago in the land of no money a couple of us wanted to load shot shells and tried making our own fiber wads. We used a fiber board called Cellotex ( the tan colored not the black) and cut out the wad with a low rpm spinning wad cutter in a drill press. Then using a two pound coffee can inside a three pound coffee can as a double boiler we melted paraffin wax like what Mom used to seal jelly in the jars with. We let the wax soak in a bit then let it cool on spread out down paper bags that seemed to absorb any excess wax. Did they work? The doves seemed to think so.
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master
    I also do Not go without Wads... even with Brass ctg.. I suspect that the Charge and Powder would be Different...

I am going to use a plastic shot cup over a nitro card. Was thinking if I need to take up more space using a fiber wad between the nitro card and shot cup. I have wool felt and cork homemade wads.

I use cork from what is used to make gaskets from that is 1/8" think and stack what is needed. and cut over powder and shot cards from cracker box . I have no problems for not use of any thing else . Just like shot shells for 357 or 44 mag . I just use cards like I do with I do for shotgun mainly 410 . The thing I do with 357 and 44 mag and other shot shells I make , I have past a patch of JPW . it helps with the shot and the cast boolits .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    I am going to use a plastic shot cup over a nitro card. Was thinking if I need to take up more space using a fiber wad between the nitro card and shot cup. I have wool felt and cork homemade wads.
    What powder are you using?
    The .45-70 is the only government I trust.

Frank, that is the data for brass that is hard to find. I have H110, 2400, Lil Gun and 4227, but would like to get some 410. Since the Magtech shells use LPP, not sure what powder would be best but I hear many love the 410.

I'm only interested in loading the Magtech brass with real black powder.
    The .45-70 is the only government I trust.

Boolit Master
    @ Shawlerbrook
    I have loaded 303 converted to 410 but not magtech.. I understand that the Wad over the powder is simply to stop "leaking" of powder past the Plastic wad. If I was worried about that, I would simply use an egg carton Wad. The "trick" is the crimp end... I have been using Wax, have used a card and glue, I quit actually Crimping. BTW...Book loads of H110 are working fine!!!

Thanks race ! I definitely don’t want to crimp, was thinking of either hot glue or Elmer’s to seal the overshot. I will probably start with the H110. I have the oversized nitro cards for over powder from BPI.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Thanks race ! I definitely don’t want to crimp, was thinking of either hot glue or Elmer’s to seal the overshot. I will probably start with the H110. I have the oversized nitro cards for over powder from BPI.
    I have been putting a disk of lube mixed with parrafin... maybe 60:40 parrafin/hard blue Lube... I drop the disk right on the shot.. then heat with a grill lighter.. so the "disk" melts and adheres to the case as well..I have not had any incidents...but, I do Not rough handle the rounds.. just nose down in the ctg holder. Using 14.0 gr H-110, and a measured 220 gr (1/2 oz) 7-1/2's.. just loaded a couple at 15.0 gr of H110 because the 14 seems soft... No under wad disk cause the base of these 303's seems to be sealed well with SP410, 410SC, WAA41 Wads..
    HTH a bit...
    Edit to add...These are primarily for my 45/410 contender, but we put them thru my sons Savage/Fox SXS
    Anti Climactic...

One more Important Edit; In my haste at times I mix/confuse my terms... To clarify... I rarely, If ever use Fiber wads (disks) in Any shotshell loading.. Handgun ctgs, are the exception, for me.. Fiber Wads are recommended with brass like Magtech, simply to keep powder from Leaking past the Plastic shot column wads.. Wth reformed 303 brass...I have Not experienced any discernable Leaking of Powder...and enjoy the Simplicity of the appropriate, Plastic Shotshell Wads... As can probably be Figgered out...I am decidedly Not a Shotgun guy!!!!
    Last edited by racepres; 03-30-2023 at 03:12 PM.