RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Powder coating

Boolit Mold

Powder coating

Does powder coating lead bulletts prevent leading in the barrel?

jmho - tumble lubing with liquid alox does a better job + at much less effort + cost - personally would not even consider powder coating again -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    The answer to the question is normally yes, as long as the procedures are followed correctly.

That’s what its main purpose is, along with polymer ingredients supposedly making it ‘slick’.

I’ve run my 10mm carbine to 1600fps with zero leading as well as a new 1894 38-55 to 1750fps, again no leading.

Boolit Master
    Yes. Tumble lube also works most of the time for lower vel pistol load and is best with those bullets designed for it. It is fast and easy. If you do it properly with really thin coats that you let dry completely it isn't even very messy. Still have to clean out the bullet seating stem every now and then.

The downside to conventional lube in pistols is smoke. Not a problem for most folks but some find it annoying.

PC is good for higher velocities. 2500fps has been my highest vel PC load without a barrel issue. If you don't have a lubesizer it is really the only good choice for rifles. I really tried to get tumble lube to work in my rifles and it just doesn't cut it.

Yes it is a great addition to add to your reloading toolbox. The only lubed bullets I shoot anymore are if I buy them from Zero bullets for my 45 acp. If I cast them they get powdercoated and as long as my revolvers are in good shape I have had great results.

Boolit Master
    Yes and No. It can, but not in all circumstances.

I found Powder coat a valuable tool and use it for all of my higher power cast bullet ammo. I have been able to obtain zero leading loads with powder coat for full power 44 magnum, 357 Maximum, 357 Magnum, 9mm, 327 Fed, 300 BO, 30 Herrett, 7 TCU. For these applications, my attempts at using tumble lube did not achieve zero leading.

Tumble lube is much easier and I use it for lower power level stuff. This is for 45 ACP, 38 Special, 380, 32 ACP, low power 9mm (one specific gun), and "mouse fart" loads in 7 TCU & 30 Herrett.

On the flip side, it took a bunch of effort to get leading free performance in 9mm even with PC. Some magnum revolvers can also be problematic. If your bullets are too small and cartridge pressure is high enough, blow by past a PC bullet can still result in bad leading.
    Last edited by P Flados; 03-29-2023 at 01:52 PM.