WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30-30 150 grain Speer FN -W748 v. H BL-C(2) v. IMR 3031, hunting

Boolit Master
    LeverEvolution is probably the best powder for the 30-30. I have found BL-C2 and 748 temp sensitive when temps can run from 15* to 80* during hunting season. TAC works well in the 30-30, is available, 'relatively inexpensive' and is not temp sensitive compared to older ball powders, but LeverEvolution is probably the best.

Thanks everybody. I've loaded him up for a test with 3031, but have the CL2 and now, the LVR in mind. Larry, thanks in particular for the detailed info. And everyone else for your data points. I have a tendency to grab up new powders "just in case they're better" but have some redundancy in many calibers, so want to work through what I have in stock now. But I am very intrigued by the several mentioned here, now, most especially, the LVR. Price is also attractive.
    -Paul

My Marlin performs very well with that bullet and 3031.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    I've been reloading for my 94 for several years now. Tried several powders and like BLC-2 the best. Very accurate in my rifle. However 3031 is very good as well. Groups were just a tad bigger than the BLC-2. I shoot a 150 gr. Flat point and it works great. I did try a 165 gr cast GC RNFP powder coated with Smoke's Bacon Grease and BLC-2. Excellent grouping at 100 yds. with 34 grs of powder. Usual disclaimer. Use at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    LeverEvolution is probably the best powder for the 30-30. I have found BL-C2 and 748 temp sensitive when temps can run from 15* to 80* during hunting season. TAC works well in the 30-30, is available, 'relatively inexpensive' and is not temp sensitive compared to older ball powders, but LeverEvolution is probably the best.
    Well, I bit at the LVR and have yet to pick up the BL-C(2), though I know it's a great powder too from all I've been reading. One question I have is on velocity at closer (sub-100 yd) ranges, and this particular bullet. I can see how LVR extends the caliber's potential with Hornady's flex-tip bullets, but wondering if the SNFP like the Hot Cor will suffer breakup, at something like 2500 fps?
    -Paul

Boolit Bub
    I've been experimenting with the 30-30 and LVR, 335,748 and 2495. The 2495 with a Speer 150 Hot Core ran at 2137FPS , ES was 23 and SD was 8FPS. The load was 30.5 grains. I don't have a GRT profile for this powder and I think it can squeeze more out of it in my 24 inch M94 Miroku. That load produced .850 groups at 50 yrds. The LVR load of 37 grains produced 2470 FPS under an FTX 160 with an ES of 40 and a SD of 12 FPS over a 10 shot string. The group size was 1.33 inches for the 10 shots. The 335 at 33 grains produced 2458 FPS under a Sierra 150 with ES of 43 and SD of 14 FPS. It grouped .75 inches at 50 yrds. The last powder was Win 748. It produced 2147 FPS under a 160 FTX and at 31.5 grains, ES was 82, SD was 28 FPS. I shot 20 shots and 14 of them went into a ragged hole at 50 yrds. The rest were flyers sort of. Always iron sights and in this case Skinner peeps. All of these loads produce acceptable results for me. Just my 8 cents.

Boolit Master

I use W748 with 180 gr Cast in my Savage 30-30....good powder!
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    Thanks guys, helpful info. Because I'm actually trying out 3031 for a reduced 338 WM load for deer (the 338 is a thirsty beast. If I could get I 4895, I would try that), gives me a chance to get a dedicated pound for my son's 336. Opted this time around for the BL-C(2), though I do have a bit of load development already set with the 3031.

Yeah, won't cast this one, though it deserves it. It being micro-groove, another variable I'm not ready to monkey with for now. Basically aping the Sierra FN's, so these 150 Hot Cor's at tame velocities will (I think), do fine.
    I have used up to 30 grains H335 with the 150 gr cast gas checked bullet, powder coated. Dropped back to 28 gr as it was more accurate. Bullet was sized to .309 in a Marlin .30-30. Good load with no leading.

Boolit Mold
    As others have said, I’ve had excellent results with BLC-2. My first hand load in my first Model 94 (a 1956 20” carbine) used BLC-2 and Hornady 150 gr RN bullets and was 5 shot group 1.5 MOA accurate at 100 yards with a tang sight installed.

I now own three pre 64 Model 94 20” carbines in .30-30 and that load is 1.5 MOA accurate I all of them, using vintage tang sights with an average velocity of 2260 fps.

My pre war (1926) 26” Model 94 rifle manages 2 MOA with the same load, but I suspect that’s due to a bore that shows the effects of pre war corrosive primers and inadequate cleaning.

I also have a Model 94 Classic 26” rifle and it’s also a solid 2 MOA rifle with a Williams receiver sight.

In both those 26” barrels I am getting an honest 2400 fps.

In my experience the 2390 fps number on the 150 gr factory ammo box is generated in a 26” barrel and you can expect something around 2250 fps in a 20” barrel.

—-

I like RL7 in the .38-55 but I am within 3 pounds of having to try something else unless RL 7 becomes available soon. Unique also works for black powder velocity loads without the mess in the .38-55 and I may start doing that again.

Quote Originally Posted by BB57 View Post
    As others have said, I’ve had excellent results with BLC-2. My first hand load in my first Model 94 (a 1956 20” carbine) used BLC-2 and Hornady 150 gr RN bullets and was 5 shot group 1.5 MOA accurate at 100 yards with a tang sight installed.

I now own three pre 64 Model 94 20” carbines in .30-30 and that load is 1.5 MOA accurate I all of them, using vintage tang sights with an average velocity of 2260 fps.

My pre war (1926) 26” Model 94 rifle manages 2 MOA with the same load, but I suspect that’s due to a bore that shows the effects of pre war corrosive primers and inadequate cleaning.

I also have a Model 94 Classic 26” rifle and it’s also a solid 2 MOA rifle with a Williams receiver sight.

In both those 26” barrels I am getting an honest 2400 fps.

In my experience the 2390 fps number on the 150 gr factory ammo box is generated in a 26” barrel and you can expect something around 2250 fps in a 20” barrel.

—-

I like RL7 in the .38-55 but I am within 3 pounds of having to try something else unless RL 7 becomes available soon. Unique also works for black powder velocity loads without the mess in the .38-55 and I may start doing that again.
    Thanks for the info. I'm picking up a pound soon.

In terms of CX2 game like whitetail, what are people's opinion on standard cup-and-cores like the Hot Cor, shooting woods distances, and velocity limits, practically speaking, in terms of bullet breakup? How fast is too fast?
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    if your wanting to go with a ball powder accurate 2520 gives great performance in quite a few calibers including 30-30 and there is factory load data that is proven for many of the calibers it is good for with cast bullets.

Boolit Bub
    I found that 33.8gr Of Win 748 under a Sierra 150 Pro Hunter gave me 2205 fps, SD of 36, but 14 of 20 shots in the same ragged hole at 50 yrds with Skinner peeps on a 24inch Win 94 Sporter. Its accurate and it kills.

I've used W748 and IMR3031 with my 30-30 as well. I started with IMR3031 but found a good supply of W748. Did a little experimentation...and found that with the ball powder a LR-Mag primer works better. I believe it is because of the density of the ball powder vs. the stick powder. The hotter primer ignited more efficiently with the ball. Anyway...my groups tightened up with the W748 and LR-Ms. It's all I used now.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    I too started with 3031 and never thought I would ever change until I tried WW748. I load it for both the old H&R and the Marlin. I have scopes on both guns, so I'm not bragging on the groups, but 5 shots at 50 yds make a ragged hole. I actually set up a Dillon 550b and can run out either jacket or cast loads pretty quick. I have already sized the brass on an old Rockchucker and trimmed it for length, so just pick the load for jacket or cast and crank them out.

Quote Originally Posted by curiousgeorge View Post
    I too started with 3031 and never thought I would ever change until I tried WW748. I load it for both the old H&R and the Marlin. I have scopes on both guns, so I'm not bragging on the groups, but 5 shots at 50 yds make a ragged hole. I actually set up a Dillon 550b and can run out either jacket or cast loads pretty quick. I have already sized the brass on an old Rockchucker and trimmed it for length, so just pick the load for jacket or cast and crank them out.
    Good info, thanks.
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    if your wanting to go with a ball powder accurate 2520 gives great performance in quite a few calibers including 30-30 and there is factory load data that is proven for many of the calibers it is good for with cast bullets.
    Never come across the powder, thanks.
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by BRatigan View Post
    I found that 33.8gr Of Win 748 under a Sierra 150 Pro Hunter gave me 2205 fps, SD of 36, but 14 of 20 shots in the same ragged hole at 50 yrds with Skinner peeps on a 24inch Win 94 Sporter. Its accurate and it kills.
    Thanks. It brings up something I'd not thought of before. I've had a chrony (again) for a few months and have tended to chase SD's as low as I can (ES's as well), usually 12 or lower is acceptable to me, if coupled with good groups. But for the 30-30, especially if he stays with the peep, I don't anticipate him taking anything longer than 100 yards and almost certainly far less. Little point to worry about the chrony stats, it seems. And I like the LVR, but don't think we need something that fast (I mean, fps, not burn rate). W 748 seems available and thanks on the note re: magnum primers.

I have too many powders in all my rifles, have to say. I may never get to the Re-22 and IMR 4350 I intended for my 338 WM (Finding H 4831 SC is great, and doubly so for its temp. resistance). My son's 30-06 takes up the I 4350 well, but now that I settled on ACC 5744 for my 45-70, IMR 4198, and IMR 3031 (in addition) to the RE 22 are all redundant and may be shelf queens. W 748 and BL-C(2) would only add to my misery.
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by curiousgeorge View Post
    Thanks as well for the add'l thumbs up on the W 748.
    -Paul

Boolit Mold
    I have lever evolution but have not tested it enough to know if it matters. For 3030 I have used 3031 about 45 years and occasionally 748. However, for 30-30 and 45-70 3031 has been near perfect for me. 3031 is the one powder that I have always been able to find during the pandemic and see no reason to change. I was in a Bass Pro today and they had a huge amount of 3031. That said, I will continue to use it for those two calibers. 3031 is also just about perfect for light weight bullets in the 308, 30-06, and 300 Weatherby magnum. Bullets in the 100-130 grain range, fast varmint and fun loads. I use a dozen rifle powders just high on 3031 for 30-30 and 45-70.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12