Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Range Lead Cost?

Boolit Master

Lynn, this thread here: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ed+range+scrap . . .was my contribution to those wondering what's in their range lead.

Unless you're getting a large number of fellow casters frequenting your range, or getting a lot of shotgun pellets mixed in, your primary source metals will be jacketed bullets, which are nearly pure lead with a trace content of antimony (less than 1%). Foster-type shotgun slugs are even closer to pure lead.

When I separated out and smelted a bunch of cast bullets (my rejects and other folks from the berm), it behaved and hardness-tested like common wheelweight or wheelweight plus tin mixes.

You're most likely going to be buying an alloy containing random bits of all that and will probably test between 8-10 BHN when air cooled, that MIGHT water-quench up to 12 or 14. On the plus side, it's local, cleaned up, you aren't paying shipping and it has SOME tin and antimony that will probably make it useful as is for most low to medium intensity pistol loads. On the down side, you've just got my educated guess plus your own local range knowledge as to what it's made of, and when you DO have an application where you need to know what's in your bullet with some degree of precision, it may not serve. Because of those factors, I wouldn't pay over current market value for pure lead.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I bought a couple hundred pounds to give it a try. If it doesn't work I can always turn it into fishing weights
    That is a smart move. Very little invested and if it works the guy may give you a better price if you take 2000 lbs off his hands.

I have used range scrap mixed with Linotype (2:1) and made good pistol bullets out of it. I had a lot of Linotype so did not "tweak" it as the bullets were good. Might be able to go 3:1.

It you need Linotype I saw a guy list some on this site recently and the price was decent IIRC.
    Don Verna

Boolit Mold
    Guys I ended up with about 230 pounds for $200 cash as I live in California.
    A 3 pound salmon weight at sportsmans warehouse out here runs $15 so even if it doesn't work for bullets I am still okay with the price

Boolit Grand Master

Good score.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Real good price, especially considering it is already in ingot form so the major work is done and no junk included in the weight. AND in California at that!!! I would get all I can at that rate.

I have absolutely no idea on the hardness.
    It is a range I frequent and the owners son has made it into ingots.
    IF its range lead its harder than pure & not zinc, hopefully. At $1/#, I would be a buyer. It beats berm mining & spending time & $$ melting it. 1000# is a good round number, maybe it a bit cheaper.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

I bought a couple hundred pounds to give it a try. If it doesn't work I can always turn it into fishing weights
    Great job!

I'd cast some boolits and test hardness. Go from there.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    I can say from experience, buying other people's processed range lead is a winning proposition. It is a lot of work, especially if the range has a dirt backstop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12