RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Target recommendations for 100 yard Skinner, brass bead front.

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Paper plates make great targets!
    For someone like me a large screen TV box, like 85 inch works better if I want to keep my shots on the target.
    Aim huge, hit...somethin': Underpromise and overdeliver guaranteed.

-Paul

Any color other than black “bleeds” around the edges and is hard to get good definition at the target end. I’d swap the bead for a flat front sight post and then use a 6 o’clock hold. It’s much easier to see the contrast that way between the post and the bull The size of the target is properly dictated by the front sight post. Ideally, the post will subtend the bull you’re aiming at. That way, not only can you get a more consistent vertical hold, the horizontal is easier to see if your post wanders laterally

Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    Any color other than black “bleeds” around the edges and is hard to get good definition at the target end. I’d swap the bead for a flat front sight post and then use a 6 o’clock hold. It’s much easier to see the contrast that way between the post and the bull The size of the target is properly dictated by the front sight post. Ideally, the post will subtend the bull you’re aiming at. That way, not only can you get a more consistent vertical hold, the horizontal is easier to see if your post wanders laterally
    Thanks. Yes, I've tried a 6 o'clock hold with the bead, but it's impossible with either the sight-in target's red diamond, or the 6" bullseye's red center so went to center-on and I'm basically blocking up the red center. The Skinner is shooting way high right now, but I was surprised to see a decent grouping (note this is 50 yards, not 100), especially given how poorly I was getting a sight-picture.

Andy had told me the bead is inherently less accurate because everyone has to basically do a dead-on hold and especially given your comment on the red (or other color) v. black, I can see why it's not the way to go if we stay with the Skinner and not an optic. (I'd told him I'd do a 6 O'clock with the bead. I was wrong, can't make it out at all at range). I'll be ordering a 1/2" tall post. By the way, for my gg, I put the sloped front sight to join the Skinner Alaskan. Do you or anyone have comments on the sloped front v. his "True Patridge" (non-sloped) front sights?
    -Paul

My lever gun factory sights are really poor. You really need to take a look at a target at 100-200 yards before you assume the sights work for anything smaller than a locomotive. Had to change mine out so I could even see a target around the huge front bead. The post and notch would work better, but the receiver sight rear and a small brass bead front might be better. Best for me is a low power scope.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I just use yellow carbon copy paper, I have an unlimited supply of it from the recycle bin at work. For rifle use I don't put any sort of target or bullseye on it since deer don't have them either. I try to split the middle of the paper with the top edge of the front sight.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Been testing 38-55 loads and have found a 8” black circle works great.

Take a standard round paper plate. Cute the bottom out and you should get around 8”. Get a can of flat black spray paint and some blank paper. You can figure the rest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12