MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Pacific Rifle Press-Vintage

Boolit Buddy

Pacific Rifle Press-Vintage

Found in an old garage this old Pacific Press. It does not have a provision for a shell holder. The ram is machined out to accept a 30-06 base or 45 ACP Wonder how old it is? Even has a priming arm. Has to be a collector who might know something about this old dog. Maybe even add it to a collection of old obsolete reloading equipment!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pacific1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	312288Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pacific2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	312289

Boolit Master
    I’ve got a couple of those. They were made in the 1930s, and required a rather elaborate aluminum holder for the primer tube magazine. Postwar, Pacific put the typical lugs or ears on the die holder to accommodate the later version of the tube magazine.

They’re still fairly common, and vastly underappreciated. That was the original “C” Press, using another Pacific invention, 7/8”x14tpi dies. Suddenly, full-length sizing of fired cases was a quick, simple process. As soon as it hit the market, most other loading tools were instantly obsolete. It does require a separate ram for different cartridges, as the snap-in shellholder was invented by RCBS, decades later. However, everything was done on the Pacific to make the ram changeover as painless as possible.

They do work on the upstroke, which some object to, but to me it’s like cock-on-opening/closing bolt action rifles. You get used to it.

The real “Collector’s Item” along this line (so far) is the version that had “Patent Pending” instead of the patent number cast into the press. But the passage of time should bring the other ones into the fold.

Boolit Master
    I have seen a very early advertisement introducing the new Pacific press in the back of The American Rifleman magazine. I believe it was in 1932, but now you have gotten me curious to go through my old bound issues and find the add. I have a Patent number model, with the priming mechanism and primer catching tray, in beautiful condition. Also have the S. F. Cal. patent pending model in average condition, which I wanted to use with my very rare Pacific bullet sizer lubricater. All were found and bought on ebay, back when you could still find cool stuff reasonably priced.

Boolit Buddy

Pacific Rifle Press Vintage

Quote Originally Posted by Rockindaddy View Post
    Found in an old garage this old Pacific Press. It does not have a provision for a shell holder. The ram is machined out to accept a 30-06 base or 45 ACP Wonder how old it is? Even has a priming arm. Has to be a collector who might know something about this old dog. Maybe even add it to a collection of old obsolete reloading equipment!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pacific1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	312288Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pacific2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	312289
    I have one too. Just got by club member not wanting it. Trying to learn as much as I can. Any Parts sources etc.like a replacement ram that holds the shell holders we have been familiar with for the last 60 + year??
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    I was heading out to my shop from the house, and saw a groundhog out by my barn, about 10 yds behind my 100 target backer. He was wide open in the short clover. I stepped into my shop, grabbed my Husqvara 12.7x44R, or as I call it a 50/60. This rifle has had the barrel shortened to 32" and has the military rear sight, I soldered on a ramp front sight. I had it loaded with a 450gr Lee boolit that I had sized to .512 lubed with orange magic Lyman lubed, and loaded with Unique. The gun balances well offhand, so I dropped in a round, pulled a stool out of my carport, and set down. I pulled the gun up, held the fine blade front about halfway up the groundhog who decided to oblige me by standing upright and looking at me. The trigger breaks at #2 and at the sound of the rifle firing I was immediately rewarded with a loud THWOP! That big 50 caliber round running about 1300fps, sent him airborne for about 6 feet with a big line of entrails and other stuff inside him spewing out all around. After about 3 pinwheels he hit the ground dead as a doorknob. That made my day, always good to get a good offhand shot off, at 60 years of age and all the health issues I have had the last few years. I have a clanger set at 100yds, that I shoot at least twice a week with that rifle, so I was fairly confident in the shot. I went over there 4 hours later to take a pic, and either a neighbors dog or coyote had carried him off, the entrails was still there along with a huge wet spot.

Boolit Master

My first press was one of these-white, my grandfathers. I think they came in four colors. There is a conversion ram available. Lyman still makes/lists them. RCBS also made them as did CH4D. Those shell holder/rams were the same for a number of presses from several manufacturers. RCBS, LYMAN,PACIFIC, and ECHO,TEXAN IIRC. Probably others. I don't like the upstroke resize. Gramps had his cabled to the floor-but that was back in the 40's and maybe he needed more modern lubrication.

Boolit Buddy
    I think this is the one:

https://www.rcbs.com/dies-and-shell-...r/16-9109.html

Free shipping since it’s over $40 from RCBS.