Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Micro groove and cast too much fun!

Since getting addicted to cast bullets and shotgun/pistol powders in my old Marlin 336 30-30 (6 years ago) I haven't shot more than 25 rounds of jacketed bullets. Not being physically able to hunt since 2016 I spend a lot of time at the range punching holes in paper that needs perforating so accuracy is more important to me than velocity. Finding what works with specific cast bullets and powders has been downright entertaining. The micro groove barrel don't seem to have a clue that the myth says it shouldn't like cast bullets. As for diameters, I shoot cast .309 plain based bullets with light doses of fast powder, like Unique, and around 1400 fps - extremely accurate at 50 yards. The .310 gas checked bullets get a bit bigger dose of slower powders, like A2400 or AA#7 for +/-1720 fps at the 100 yard targets. Neither has ever shown to be a leading issue for me ... I just push them fast enough to hopefully get proper obturation, but not so fast they may create an issue.

jd

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding micro grooves mr surveyor. What a great hobby and forum cast bullets is.
    Willie

Boolit Buddy
    My little 1894C 357 carbine gobbles up a Lyman 358156GC bullet with 14.5 grs of H110 like crazy. That bullet along with a 158 gr XTP over the same powder charge will shoot the cap off a water bottle at 50 yds from the bench (2.5 x 8 scope). Not planning on parting with mine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12