WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Micro groove and cast too much fun!

Boolit Buddy

Micro groove and cast too much fun!

I stumbled across a ‘92 18.5” Marlin 1894 chambered in .357/.38 this weekend at what I deemed a bargain. Having walking around money in my pocket, after a little haggling I brought it home. For all the world it almost looks new.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11BFCF72-3175-4778-9AC2-4AF034A1F7AC.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	312286
    The first order of business was to clean the barrel. Much to my liking it was already clean as a whistle. No carbon, no fouling and the rifling looks pristine. Prior to this carbine I have no experience with micro groove barrels other than reading conflicting reports about shooting lead through them. I know I should have slugged the barrel to determine proper fitment. The desire to test fire the rifle tested my patience. The test results came back negative. I already had a bunch of .357 and .38 loaded for my revolvers. I grabbed some Lee 158 gas checked SWC’s cast with Lyman No2 sized to .359 that were loaded over 15.3 grains of H-110 in .357 starline cases that are the accuracy load for my Blackhawk. Those 158’s had been sorted for diameter before sizing and then sorted by weight after sizing, gas checking, and conventional lubing. In short really consistent. I also grabbed some NOE gas checked 124 TC’s with a light charge of W-231 loaded in 38 special and some sandbags and off I went. First order of business was it cycled and chambered both with no issues. Then I ran 3 of the .38’s through it. Off hand at 25 yards with those plinkers it feels like a .22 WMR. I put a target up at 100 yards and put the sand bags on the bench then filled the magazine up with 10 of the gas checked 158’s and with some trepidation after all the negatives I had read about lead in a micro groove barrel I laid in on the 100 Diamond, and hoped the previous owner had it on paper. I took a fine bead and let one fly. I walked down to have a look and I was about an inch left. Elevation was about right. Ok, this has promise. I went back to the bench and proceeded to carefully empty the magazine. When I went to check my target I was quite pleased. I need to drift the rear sight just a smidge right but the little carbine is a shooter. This little marlin has a really good set of irons on it. Here is the 10 shot group.

Name:	561D5E92-86C4-4FEC-A187-C98966002033.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	312287
    I was a little amped up after that. My plan to run about a dozen through it and then clean and check for leading before making too big of a mess was quickly forgotten. I ran 50 more rounds through it. A mixture of .38 and .357. No cycling issues even .38’s and .357’s mixed in the same magazine. One fun little carbine. I cleaned it when I got home. You guessed it. No lead in the micro groove barrel with gas checked Lyman No2 sized to .359. Man what a fun little rifle. I know it is only a one rifle sample but hey it is the only micro groove barrel I have shot lead out of.

Tight groups
    Willie
    Last edited by Willie T; 03-27-2023 at 02:27 PM.

Boolit Master
    I shot only lead in my .357 marlin in SASS lo al matches. Never had leading problems.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Banner Sponsor

Looks like a winner to me

Boolit Master
    Those carbines are rather uncommon. I had one but goofed when someone else wanted it.

Boolit Master

Great little rifle. Congratulations
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luber View Post
    Those carbines are rather uncommon. I had one but goofed when someone else wanted it.
    I handled one twenty some odd years ago. I have wanted one chambered in .357/.38 ever since. I actually wanted a browning B 92 in 357. Locating a B 92 in .357 priced reasonably proved to be a real unicorn hunt…. I ended up with a marlin but it didn’t take long to warm up to.
    Willie
    Last edited by Willie T; 03-27-2023 at 08:13 PM.

Great results. Microgroove barrels like fat boolits.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    So the 1894 with the micro groove barrel chambered in .357 magnum is new to me. I have a peep sight ordered for it. I’m curious if my 62 year old eyes will like the peep. With the irons after about 20 shots my eyes fatigue and the factory iron sights get fuzzy. Shooting the accuracy load for my Blackhawk revolver through the 1894 showed a lot of promise. While waiting for the Williams peep to come in I just had to see just how accurate this little carbine is with the cast load i had shot a group using the irons. When I purchased the rifle, I got a set of two piece warn bases and 1” low rings along with the carbine. I had an old 2-7x33 compact Leupold that has been without a firearm under it for years. It is the old one before the turrets had clicks. After work today I mounted the scope and had time to go see what it would do. This was out of the pickup window with my carhart jacket on the mirror for a rest. Not ideal but I was steady and on target each time the trigger broke. After I got it on paper at 25, I got it sighted in to my satisfaction with a 100 yard zero, I had just enough time to put up a new target and shoot a three shot group at 100 yards with the little carbine scoped. Since purchasing the little Marlin a week and a half ago it has impressed me. When it comes to lever guns I have been a Winchester man my entire life. Back to accuracy testing the marlin with cast. It shoots friggen tight! I haven’t got home to measure anything but it is well under MOA. I wanted it as fun plinker to go along with my revolvers but heck. I picked up 580 fps in the carbine compared to my 4 5/8” revolver. After shooting it the last week and a half, I’m gonna have to deer hunt some with it. I still like the winchesters but man there is a lot to like about the little Marlin…
    Any how here is what it will do so I don’t get accused of spouting internet groups…. Alloy is Lyman No2 mixed with wheel weights and pewter plates.

Name:	E8C48F68-F981-4DF5-80D7-D678C195B9DD.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	312588
    Willie
    PS-I hope I don’t go to hell for scoping it while I wait for the aperture sight.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Congratulations on the new gun. I would like to have a lever action in a handgun caliber.

There is a myth out there that microgroove won’t shoot cast well. It’s only a myth.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Congratulations on the new gun. I would like to have a lever action in a handgun caliber.

There is a myth out there that microgroove won’t shoot cast well. It’s only a myth.
    .357 in a carbine length barrel is proving to be a lot of fun. I plan to see how it will digest full power 125’s and what kind of velocity it produces.
    Willie

Boolit Buddy
    The little carbine surprisingly is exhibiting good bolt gun type accuracy with the gas checked Lee 158 SWC’s. During sight in it was stacking the cast Bullets tight. When I got home last night I measured the quick 100 yard group I shot. I doubt it is a legitimate 1/2 moa rifle but it will certainly shoot my cast moa with ease. I am pleasantly surprised!
    Willie

Name:	99330481-88CC-4324-AF09-8BCC6F2165C0.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	312601

Boolit Grand Master

That is Totally Awesome !

I have that exact NOE mould with the gas check ... now all I need is some "walking around money" and a willing seller !

I have heard other reports of that NOE boolit cycling well and shooting accurately in lever action guns ... Call Me a Believer .

My good buddy has had a Marlin 357 for years but he won't part with it !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
    .357 in a carbine length barrel is proving to be a lot of fun. I plan to see how it will digest full power 125’s and what kind of velocity it produces.
    Willie
    You need to try some slower powders than for handgun loads. Maybe today they have recommended loads. I couldn’t find any thirty years ag. I used 3031 for my 44mag Marlin, just because I had it around. Never got the chance to try and perfect a load.

Boolit Buddy
    You need to try some slower powders than for handgun loads. Maybe today they have recommended loads. I couldn’t find any thirty years ag. I used 3031 for my 44mag Marlin, just because I had it around. Never got the chance to try and perfect a load.
    I think H-110 may be THE powder for .357 magnum. Based on what I saw with 158’s I suspect that with a max charge, 125’s may scare the heck out of 2,300 fps. What remains to be seen is if they will shoot with that much speed and whether they will do it without leading the micro grooves. Should be enjoyable to work through to see how it works.
    Willie

Boolit Grand Master

When I bought my 1894C years ago, everyone said it was not going to be accurate and that I couldn't shoot cast from it. They were dead wrong! My experience mirrors yours with respect to accuracy and the 1894C became one of my most used hog eradication guns.

I made the mistake of letting my nephew use it on a hunt and he virtually refused to give it back so I had to gift it to him.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
    I think H-110 may be THE powder for .357 magnum. Based on what I saw with 158’s I suspect that with a max charge, 125’s may scare the heck out of 2,300 fps. What remains to be seen is if they will shoot with that much speed and whether they will do it without leading the micro grooves. Should be enjoyable to work through to see how it works.
    Willie
    If you are getting those velocities, powder coating and gas check will help.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    When I bought my 1894C years ago, everyone said it was not going to be accurate and that I couldn't shoot cast from it. They were dead wrong! My experience mirrors yours with respect to accuracy and the 1894C became one of my most used hog eradication guns.

I made the mistake of letting my nephew use it on a hunt and he virtually refused to give it back so I had to gift it to him.
    Having a young family member that hunts with you is priceless. Well done sir!

Boolit Buddy
    If you are getting those velocities, powder coating and gas check will help.
    Air cooled Lyman No2 with Gas Check and Carnuba Red is what I’ve been shooting. I have not yet made the jump to powder coating. I may have to adjust. The micro groove barrel is uncharted territory for me but I may be becoming a fan. It does seem to want to shoot.
    Willie

WillieT, I bought the same gun 30 plus years ago and it has served me well. Like you I am astounded at it's accuracy but I readily accept it!! I have taken several whitetail deer with mine with jacketed and my own cast. By the way, I have a Williams peep on mine. The only real trouble you will have is that everyone else will want it so keep a good solid grip on it.

Boolit Buddy

Thumbcocker you are probably correct! I could not get my Marlin 1895 to shoot cast boolits !! It has Micro Groove rifling. Shoots jacketed boolits like it has eyes. It is your contention that the Micro Groove barrels like "fat" boolits! Will take your suggestion and try a larger diameter slug!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast