Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tea question

Boolit Master

Lapsang Souchoung, someone has been reading Michener's Centennial.

Long long long ago. Yes. Then I got some and decided I liked it. Michener knows of what he speaks.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    I first tried lapsang in 1972. We had a head shop within walking distance of my home and they sold a bunch of exotic stuff, including tea and other foodstuffs. The hippie dude who ran the place educated me on tea varieties - and olives. I used to get a couple of sample tins and taste test, then buy larger cans when I found a winner. The olives were good, too…LOL

Boolit Master
    Tazo brand Awake black tea is my favorite in the USA.
    In China I like red tea (pu er). The leaves are fermented. That’s the good stuff.

Boolit Master
    Bigelow tea has been a favorite, but now I use Lipton instant tea and have a water distiller for my water and ice cubes.
    Works wonderfull!

Boolit Buddy
    Kalami Assam The brand I got was Ahmad tea. The instructions are in Cyrillic and Arabic, probably going to Russia, Turkey and the Stans.. Loose leaves will probably create a stronger brew than using a bag. the instruction say brew for 8 minutes. way longer that the 3 minutes the tea snobs tell you to brew for. Try different times amounts and teas and see what you like. I had a bunch of green teas which I didn't really care taking up cupboard space and blended them all together. It actually tasted much better since one note teas like green sencha got toned down a bit.Keep adding to it like the Chili powder jar.

Boolit Master
    Lapsang Souchong! An acquired taste! I have some on the shelf.

For my oil burner decade, I'd rinse a quart stainless thermos with boiling water
    dump it out toss in three bags of Lapsang, fill it with very boiling water.
    Yah, steep it all morning!

If you've been handling #2 oil, coffee tastes like #2 oil.
    Lapsang steeped bitter always tastes like Lapsang.
    Really overpowers nasty high sulfur #2!

1993 I was shoveling a roof with a kid.
    Stopped for lunch on the roof, I carry lunch, always did
    Offered the kid a cup, he smelled it
    and climbed away down the ladder
    "How can you drink that stuff?"

I might say the same about his Miller Genuine Draft Lite in a can.

Boolit Buddy
    We always had a pot of tea on the table growing up. Salada brand. Still drink it often.

Don

Boolit Master
    I have a FAR greater AFFECTION for teas of any kind, than I have KNOWLEDGE of them. From a CHEMIST'S perspective, however, I would look at steeping time, if the newer teas seem to come up weak. When I want tea, I tend to want it fairly immediately (hence an always present brewed pitcher in my house), but letting the hot stuff steep an extra minute or so might do the job.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I get loose Ceylon BOP from San Francisco Herb Co. About $10 per pound. Very similar to that served in the mess on British Royal Navy ships. A fine ground, full bodied black tea which stands up well to adding milk and of the same variety commonly used for making chai. After the first Dog Watch I spike mine with a tot of the Pusser's rum.
    I do like Pusser's rum!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    Lapsang Souchoung, someone has been reading Michener's Centennial.
    Centennial is one of my most favorite books. I couldn’t put it down.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Check your local plants. I have bergamot growing wild on my property, and you could make it as strong as you can stand! It's the flavor you get in the Earl Grey.
    https://www.britannica.com/plant/bergamot
    I do have a bergamot orange tree. But I have not yet done anything with the oranges yet. There is apparently more than one bergamot orange that makes it confusing and I have not really learned how to properly scrape the rind of the orange.

I happen to like lychee tea also that I order on ebay from Ceylon.

Boolit Master
    I have not done it yet but it seem possible to grow tea trees in the southern USA. I need to check and see what temps will kill the tree.
    I spent some time in africa and locally the best tea was shipped for export and what was in the stores seemed to be like sweepings and was too strong with tannins. I found that if i put them in a filter and poured boiling water through it I got a decent tasting brew of tea out of it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12