RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Long range with cast boolits 2

Long range with cast boolits 2

Although lead bullets have a limitation in terms of pressure, since it is increasingly difficult to push them at high speeds as we do with a jacketed one, at intermediate distances for the usual calibers it is possible to shoot a few shots without spending a lot of money on them. supplies.
    This weekend, the meeting was held in Sierra de la Ventana Argentina, and we went there with some friends, to test our skills in the national prs
    I took aside about 80 shots loaded with tips 314299 and 43.5 from W760, hitting absolutely ALL of them around the 40x40 cm target placed at 600 meters. It means that I have to fine-tune the reload, since the precision of these boolits does not serve to be consistent, since it does not reach the MOA in 600 mts. But beyond this, it is a great happiness, that my tips hit 5 cm to the right, 5 to the left, 10 above, etc. at that distance,

I'll work on narrowing it down to a MOA next time.
    I will have to continue learning

Boolit Master
    Congratulations!!! It is a journey and it is a fun one.

Boolit Master
    Nice! What cartridge?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luber View Post
    Nice! What cartridge?
    308 win!

Great job! Thanks for sharing.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Great Shooting, what alloy are you casting your bullets out of .

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Master

Well done! perhaps we can help you win those matches.

Would suggest the .308 RCBS silhouette bullets in 165 or 180 grain. They are bore riders designed for distance competition. If you can find them.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    A couple of things that might help improve your accuracy. First, if you aren't already doing it, try water quenching your bullets to harden them. The heat treated bullets should grip the rifling better at higher velocity.

Second, after your casting session get a magnifying glass and inspect all of the bullets for imperfections. Set aside any that are flawed. Take the bullets that are visually perfect and weigh all of them. Some will be heavy and some will be light, but most will fit in a range between these two extremes. You want to save the ones that weigh in the middle. Try to select these middle weight bullets, with a weight spread of +/- 0.2 grains or less. These will be your match bullets. Visually and weight sorting will usually eliminate about half of the batch that you cast. Take all of the bullets that were imperfect or were outside the weight tolerance and either remelt them or use them for practice.

Third, Make sure that you're using the correct bullet. The #314299 is an excellent bullet for the 7.65x53, but would be oversized for the 308 Winchester. Sizing down a 7.7mm bullet to fit a .308" bore would very likely be determental to accuracy. For best performance you need a bullet that was designed for a 30 caliber rifle. Historically the best "accuracy" designs for cast bullets have been either the Loverin or the bore rider designs. I've had best luck with bore riders. For the 308 I would recommend either the RCBS 30-165-Sil, or the RCBS 30-168-SP. Either of these bullets should work well when gas checked and sized to .309" I'd recommend swirl lubing with 45-45-10 before sizing and checking, then a second swirl lube after sizing.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall623 View Post
    Great Shooting, what alloy are you casting your bullets out of .

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    50% lead, 50 % lino, and a little tin added

Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    A couple of things that might help improve your accuracy. First, if you aren't already doing it, try water quenching your bullets to harden them. The heat treated bullets should grip the rifling better at higher velocity.

Second, after your casting session get a magnifying glass and inspect all of the bullets for imperfections. Set aside any that are flawed. Take the bullets that are visually perfect and weigh all of them. Some will be heavy and some will be light, but most will fit in a range between these two extremes. You want to save the ones that weigh in the middle. Try to select these middle weight bullets, with a weight spread of +/- 0.2 grains or less. These will be your match bullets. Visually and weight sorting will usually eliminate about half of the batch that you cast. Take all of the bullets that were imperfect or were outside the weight tolerance and either remelt them or use them for practice.

Third, Make sure that you're using the correct bullet. The #314299 is an excellent bullet for the 7.65x53, but would be oversized for the 308 Winchester. Sizing down a 7.7mm bullet to fit a .308" bore would very likely be determental to accuracy. For best performance you need a bullet that was designed for a 30 caliber rifle. Historically the best "accuracy" designs for cast bullets have been either the Loverin or the bore rider designs. I've had best luck with bore riders. For the 308 I would recommend either the RCBS 30-165-Sil, or the RCBS 30-168-SP. Either of these bullets should work well when gas checked and sized to .309" I'd recommend swirl lubing with 45-45-10 before sizing and checking, then a second swirl lube after sizing.
    Thank you very much 405 grains!
    experience here saves time and gunpowder.
    There are some other points that I want to improve, I use a gascheck made by me, with which I also have variability
    So the next time I cast, I'm going to use lyman gaschecks, I have about 150 left, and I'm going to take boolits classification very seriously.
    I've been wanting rcbs sil for a while, but from Argentina, it becomes complicated

Boolit Master
    The Lyman #311672 is a 160 grain gas checked bore rider that is somewhat similar to the rcbs 30-165-Sil. If you can't find the RCBS mold in Argentina, see if the Lyman mold is available. Can you get gas checks from Sage's Outdoors? They make some really good checks. I prefer Hornady gas checks over Lyman, even though I've been told that they're made at the same factory. I have a Pat Marlins check maker in 30 caliber. They make good checks, but only while using .014" thick aluminum. I've found that trying to make copper checks overloads my check maker. The aluminum checks seem to work just as good as the copper ones do.

Boolit Master
    Hornady are different than Lyman. The Hornady are the only ones I know of that have a 'bite' crimp. The others are all a slip fit. Very important to me when the GC is below the neck.

From your shooting it looks like you have a 'slow' twist, 1:12 maybe? If so you have a great platform for the higher velocity cast loads. The Lyman 311299 and 314299 are classic long range bullets and a great choice. My .308 liked the 311299 a lot.

If you want to try another bullet the XCB is also a very good one. NOE 310-165-FN-H3.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    The Lyman #311672 is a 160 grain gas checked bore rider that is somewhat similar to the rcbs 30-165-Sil. If you can't find the RCBS mold in Argentina, see if the Lyman mold is available. Can you get gas checks from Sage's Outdoors? They make some really good checks. I prefer Hornady gas checks over Lyman, even though I've been told that they're made at the same factory. I have a Pat Marlins check maker in 30 caliber. They make good checks, but only while using .014" thick aluminum. I've found that trying to make copper checks overloads my check maker. The aluminum checks seem to work just as good as the copper ones do.
    Argentina is very complicated with purchases outside the borders
    So I prefer to try to manage with what I have at hand.
    I have noticed that the edge of the lyman gaschecks is less rounded than the aluminum ones that I make. I would have to try to do tests to see if it changes anything, the tests I have done before were inconclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Hornady are different than Lyman. The Hornady are the only ones I know of that have a 'bite' crimp. The others are all a slip fit. Very important to me when the GC is below the neck.

From your shooting it looks like you have a 'slow' twist, 1:12 maybe? If so you have a great platform for the higher velocity cast loads. The Lyman 311299 and 314299 are classic long range bullets and a great choice. My .308 liked the 311299 a lot.

If you want to try another bullet the XCB is also a very good one. NOE 310-165-FN-H3.

Have fun!
    Yes, without a doubt it is a very good boolit, the twist rate of my rifle is 1:12, that's why I started shooting at long distance with 311466, but to make it go further I have to push it beyond the speed I wanted.
    So that's why I tried heavier boolits.

Boolit Master
    And the heavier bullets have better ballistic coefficients.

I am stuck with a 1-10 twist so I have a hard time getting accuracy at 600yd. I have to limit myself to 500yd. I use a 210gn bullet for that kind of shooting.