RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Pawn Shop Finn M27

Boolit Buddy

Pawn Shop Finn M27

Haven't really found much these days that makes my heart skip a beat when looking around at guns. Me and the wife was running around yesterday and stopped into a pawn shop. There it was hanging on the wall, calling to me. Then I figured with prices of things and me being to stubborn to pay it that at least I would look at it. I asked to see it and after handling it and looking at tag, it came home with me. To get a Finn anything for $350 out the door these days to me seems like a sweet deal. Rained today and messed me up on shooting it but maybe soon. The bore is great and shows little wear. I have a m39 but bore is to bad a shape to shoot cast well but I have high hopes for this one.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Nice find!

Boolit Master

When you saw the price tag you knew it was a score. A very nice score for Finn Mosins. I have a Finn m/1891 and m/39 and a couple generic 91/30 from when they were $69 to $99.

Dutch

between my son-in-law and me we have a few....

I had one of those with a Sako barrel and it was sure a shooter.
    You got it for less money than 3 of those hay bales!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Score!
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy

ANY Finn Mosin for $350 is a smoking good deal in 2023. Congratulations!

My personal favorites are the 28-30 (have 4) and the straight-grip M39 (have two). They are pretty much the only Mosins I've kept as they have laser-guided accuracy. I have a couple 5-line Soviet 91-30s from the mid-1920s, a Sesty M91, and a Finned 91-30 that was once owned by a late, very close friend. But a couple of the 28-30s are what get lugged to the range.

On local club to which I belong has a huge long-range silhouette shooter following. On a particular weekday some years ago two guys were set up at one end of the row of benches with a heavy-barreled boltgun with a scope half as long as the rifle, and a spotting scope on the adjacent bench. I parked at the opposite end of the benches, then walked over to them and said I was just going to shoot five or ten rounds at the 100 and 200 yd berms to check for sight alignmnet, just aiming at a dark spot or whatever, I wasn't setting out any targets, and once I shot I would leave. They said fine, and they continued continued their fire a shot every five minutes thing. I put 5 rounds into a spot on the 100 yd berm, then adjusted the hold and put 5 rounds into a spot in the 200 yd berm. It turns out they were watching my shot impacts and walked over to see what I was shooting. The one guy said, "You're shooting that good with a Commie junk rifle and NO scope?" I responded that it wasn't Soviet, it was a Finnish rifle that fired essentially the same 7.62x54r Soviet round. "Almost as good as your sniper rifle, innit?" I asked him. I think their shooting horizons got a little broadened that day.

Again, congratulations with your M27 find, and best wishes,

Noah

Boolit Master

Very nice.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Nice find! The rifle looks great and I like your photo background too - makes me miss the farm . . . .

Boolit Master

Well that’s a score you find everyday! Finns are the Cadillac of the breed.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the comments! I did get a chance to shoot it yesterday. With a little trigger I'm excited to see what this rifle can really do once I get use it. I was able to hit my 8inch round plate at 200 yards about 85% of the time lol.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Sweet deal! Hitting an 8-inch target at 200 yards right off is pretty good! Awright!

Far too many of the Finnish Mosin-Nagants had corrosive ammunition fired in them without the barrel being cleaned. I've seen beautiful-on-the-outside Finnish rifles with destroyed sewer pipe bores because of cheap Com Bloc ammo.

Ckeck to see if your rifle has all the re-engineered trigger features that the Finns used to improve their Mosin-Nagants. Finn triggers still aren't the best, but they didn't have much to work with to begin with.

I'm one of those lucky guys who got three un-issued Finn Mosin-Nagants back 25 years ago. Two for $89, and one for $129. The $129 rifle has the high pressure 3600 atmosphere (52,900 psi CUP) marked Tikkakoski barrel with a dark purple finish on it, in a 1936 dated hex receiver and a Finn designed roller trigger. All three are 91/30 "editions" that make 100 yard five shot groups a half-dollar will cover. My load is a Lee 185 grain with gas check sized 0.002" over groove diameter of the bore, on top of a full case of WC860. I don't know if WC860 is still available, it was 20 years ago.

Hey! Keep us informed!
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.