Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Remington Mod 14 cast boolit loads

Boolit Mold

Remington Mod 14 cast boolit loads

Hello Guys,, been doing more range work.. so , the 38.4 gr lever w/ rcbs 35 200's is giving a solid 2050's out of my 22 in barrel,, tried 2400 with the same boolit,, 17 gr is pushing it 1602 fps,, next i tried Trailboss with some montana bullet works Saeco # 352's at 245 gr,, 8.2 gr is giving me 1010 fps,, it looked like a nice quite critter gitter that wouldn't annoy the neighbors,, both of the lighter loads shot well,, the 2400 printed 4 1/4 in low at 35 yds.. the Trail Boss went 6 in low,, got home and started working the brass,, the 2400 loaded brass looks great,, problem's came from the trail boss loaded brass,, the shoulders are pushed back,, i can load them regular and fire form them back but thats not conductive to long case life,, i seem to remember reading somewhere a while back about someone or a group of folks were making dedicated low pressure cases by drilling the primer pocket flash hole larger to increase pressure but the brass could never be loaded for standard loads after that,, does or has anyone heard of this rememdy or have any better ideas ?? thanks for any input you can share,, Ed

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rammbler View Post
    Hello Guys,, been doing more range work.. so , the 38.4 gr lever w/ rcbs 35 200's is giving a solid 2050's out of my 22 in barrel,, tried 2400 with the same boolit,, 17 gr is pushing it 1602 fps,, next i tried Trailboss with some montana bullet works Saeco # 352's at 245 gr,, 8.2 gr is giving me 1010 fps,, it looked like a nice quite critter gitter that wouldn't annoy the neighbors,, both of the lighter loads shot well,, the 2400 printed 4 1/4 in low at 35 yds.. the Trail Boss went 6 in low,, got home and started working the brass,, the 2400 loaded brass looks great,, problem's came from the trail boss loaded brass,, the shoulders are pushed back,, i can load them regular and fire form them back but thats not conductive to long case life,, i seem to remember reading somewhere a while back about someone or a group of folks were making dedicated low pressure cases by drilling the primer pocket flash hole larger to increase pressure but the brass could never be loaded for standard loads after that,, does or has anyone heard of this rememdy or have any better ideas ?? thanks for any input you can share,, Ed
    Volumes about that right here by Searching, tho some here will ridicule for using "search" and Resurrecting "old threads"..There is too much to start over really... but basically drill the flash holes (search for that subject) and do Not give it another thought..

Boolit Master

I think it was decided through testing that the drilled cases could be used for full house loads. Your search should reveal the answer. I did testing several years ago with Red Dot powder. I don't remember the exact results so I won't publish them here but an amount of Red Dot to produce about 1,000 fps was enough to stop the case headspace setback. I don't know if you can get enough Trailboss in the case to eliminate it but you probably can. Increase your charge, if you have room, until the reduction disappears.
    Good Luck to you,
    Rick

I have the NOE 35-230 gas check mold. It wouldn't cycle in my bolt gun, so it is my first shot out of my .358 Winchester. The 230 has a nice large meplat, which smacks them harder than the RCBS 35-200. I could see if I have some Cast up? Likely sized to .359 and lubed. hcflyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    I have the NOE 35-230 gas check mold. It wouldn't cycle in my bolt gun, so it is my first shot out of my .358 Winchester. The 230 has a nice large meplat, which smacks them harder than the RCBS 35-200. I could see if I have some Cast up? Likely sized to .359 and lubed. hcflyer
    A dear friend used to cast those...I still have a precious few... Luckily my Bolt 35 Rem. Mauser feeds 'em fine... and yes... They Hit Hard!!!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Guys,, i found some of the threads on drilling the flash holes,, looks like a # 29 bit does it,, the reason for the heavy sub sonic an near to it was i was trying to duplicate the .350 lgnd subsonic loads with the 35 rem.. the velocity is close but the shoulders setting back was throwing me,, i hadn't heard of thr NOE 35 230 mold hcflyer,, i use a 30 cal noe mold and love it,, but it like this rcbs clone in 35 cal also came with extra pins,, hollow point, cup point, flat point,, and this MT 35 200 mold also came with a five flat hollow point pin set,, all i've tried so far are just the flat points,, i wonder if those 230's with a larger metplat would cycle through a model 14 ?? you wouldn't consider trading or selling a few for expermentation would you ?? i'd love to set up a couple of dummies and see if they'll feed through the old girl, LOL,, after all ,, shes only a hundred and nine years young.. thought i'd ought to try being good to her and feed her a milder diet... Ed

Boolit Mold
    Hey,, hc18flyer,, is that the NOE .360 232 RF GC mold that you have ?? i was just over on the NOE site and thats the only 35 that realy fits the bullet you described,,, also says it's the mold for the Ranch Dog bullet.. but he's out of stock on the molds right now,, Ed