WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Winchester '94 Bore Diameter

Boolit Mold

Winchester '94 Bore Diameter

Hello All! Have a question for the Win '94 crowd, with turn of the century guns. My Dad has an old, 1905mfg Model 94 in 32-40, with the heavy Octagonal bbl, damn thing took countless deer over the years, obviously not shot out yet. I want to reload for it, as it's in Very Good condition, but a shooter none the less. What are you guys finding for bore diameter in these old guns? I want to shoot strictly cast bullets through it, at normal, factory loaded velocities, as they performed well so far. Thanks for any help, as you guys know the most!
    Long time lurker☺️

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Dimensions vary all over the map. Do a pound cast of chamber neck and origin of rifling and buy mold to fit.A .321-.322" works in most.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Dimensions vary all over the map. Do a pound cast of chamber neck and origin of rifling and buy mold to fit.A .321-.322" works in most.
    ↑↑ This ↑↑
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

I cast and load for a 1907 semi deluxe td, 923 Oct barreled rifle, and 1917 carbine all in 32-40 using lyman mold 319295 which is a 165gr gc bullet sized to .323. I also agree slugging your bore is a good idea. The .323 shoots well in my guns. Keep in mind regardless of diameter, you need a bullet with a short nose like the mold I mentioned otherwise rounds will not clear the magazine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Exactly-- but if you just want to try something I would go with 323 as recommended. I have '47 vintage Win 94 that seems to do just fine at 323
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Buddy
    A possible bullet is the RCBS 32-170-FN it works fine in my Marlin in 32-40.

Boolit Mold
    Ok, so my next question on this site might get me killed. Who's a decent supplier of .321-.323" cast bullets, as I don't cast my own.

Google is your friend.

Mine measures .320. It hates .323 lead bullets. It shoots .321 much better.

Boolit Master
    I would simply start with a .323, I use an 8mm Lyman 'M' die for next expansion to avoid 'shaving' bullets. Also helps keep bullets aligned, I prefer gas check bullets for the .32 rifles. If you are using plain base, go very easy on the powder, maybe 1100-1200fps. Lyman also has a .32 'M' die for rifles for the smaller bullets, NOE also has a selection for .32 rifles and 8mm. Hunter has commercial cast at .324, others available at .321 and .323. I like Matt's Bullets .323 185 Flatnose GasChecks for most of my .32 Rifle shooting.

A set of small inside diameter telescoping gauges and a micrometer precise to a tenth of a thou are inexpensive investments.
    I think I paid $40 for the gauge set and mic.