Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Crossbows

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Head Shot View Post
    Hello:
    This isn't what id call a crossbow but interesting .
    Traditions makes a 22lr single shot rifle called the crackshot but also included an arrow launching bbl that uses a #5 red 27 cal nail gun power load to launch up to 385 fps.
    I went and looked it up. It sounds interesting but not for what it costs. Many years ago a friend of mine told me about someone he knew that use a blank cartridge to shoot arrows out of a 20 gauge shotgun. It sounded kinda dangerous to me.

I'm thinking about using my crossbow to get rid of garden pests this growing season but I might just use my .300 Blackout instead...

Tony
    Hi, my name is Tony and I'm addicted to gunpowder.

AKA Geezerbiker

Boolit Grand Master

410's and arrow go together like peanut butter and jelly. It was very common in the late 60's and 70's.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Don't own a Raven, but I leave my Mission Lite cocked up to a week at a time, depending on the weather......nice dry week, I'll hunt every day. I've had it for about 6 seasons. I took it to the pro shop, I purchased it from, to have the string changed. IIRC, it cost $60 and the owner said I was the first customer to ever request that service. He said it was in great shape and didn't need it. I'm sort of proactive about regular string changes. I use to replace the string on my Hoyt compound, every other season, using a compact bow press.

BTW, the Mission Lite was/is the quietest X-bow on the market.

Winelover

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Head Shot View Post
    Hello:
    This isnt what id call a crossbow but interesting .
    Traditions makes a 22lr single shot rifle called the crackshot but also included an arrow launching bbl that uses a #5 red 27 cal nail gun power load to launch up to 385 fps.
    I saw it on gun broker.
    It has a scope mounted on it and the inner bbl liner actually slides into the open end of a 2216 aluminum arrow thats 16 inches long and the outer bbl is bigger so that the fletchings are kept centered and arrow from falling out.
    Seems to me if i recall correctly it was called the XBR option maybe - Dont quote me on that.
    It could shoot fish arrow tips or broad heads or target tips per the 8x32 threaded insert.
    Here in my state hunting deer with it would NOT be legal but maybe carp shooting ?????
    Ive never seen anything like it before.
    Thought i read traditions came out with it in 2019 ish maybe ????
    Head Shot
    I talked to the MN DNR about making airbows legal for the disabled(getting to where pulling a crossbow back hurts...my shoulder is really messed up) plus my bad lower back... crank cocking takes a toll on my carpal tunnel...

They flat out said no we will not even consider it then hung up. MN DNR is notorious for being pig headed about change...

Boolit Master
    id just recommend good arrows as they will determine how accurate it is. black eagle zombies in .001 are some of the best factory arrows without crazy prices. my xbow will do 2" at 60yds with em. and a scope thats speed adjustable by the zoom, which it might have already idk how yours came. but those 2 will go a long way to hitting well at various ranges. any more details the crossbow nation forum is where i look

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    We had a person in my state two years ago who died as a result of his own actions while hunting with a crossbow. He was pulling his cocked and loaded crossbow up a rope to his treestand platform and it went off while being pulled up. The arrow/bolt passed through his stand (mesh steel) and hit him in the chest. NOTE: NEVER PULL A LOADED CROSSBOW UP INTO THE STAND YOU’RE IN. LOAD IT AFTER YOU PULL THE BOW UP. BE SAFE.
    Same as not climbing up with any loaded firearm. PS: another piece of advice - do not aim at the same bullseye on your target when practicing, unless you want damaged arrows!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    410's and arrow go together like peanut butter and jelly. It was very common in the late 60's and 70's.
    That's what I did when I was a kid with wooden arrows. I showed my cousin and he thought it worked great.

So he loaded up some .410 and used aluminum arrows used them in uncle's expensive .410 trap gun. Manged to line the barrel with aluminum that he couldn't remove. Put him into a panic. But I guess my uncle never looked at the gun and never seen it, has he didn't like shooting trap.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Bear View Post
    https://www.crossbownation.com/ is a good forum as well. I had to give up archery due to a hand operation some years ago and got into crossbow hunting when it became legal here in NY.
    I like my Barnett too.
    I'm a member of crossbownation & I also recommend it for good info & congenial members. It seems that everyone there is very willing & helpful to "newbies".
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Barnett crossbow.. I like hunting with what ever is out there for the State of Pa. To hunt with, but I enjoy hunting more with my Hoyt compound. That is due to that I had more time with it shooting and hunting. So I know it more.. good luck with your new crossbow !
    The Soldier that Volunteers, fighting for his Country and his rights,
    makes the most reliable Soldier on Earth.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123