Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: HP pin tip

Boolit Master

HP pin tip

I posted the other day about receiving my new MP HP mold. A lot of good tips were mentioned on that thread on using the mold. One of the tips was to coat the HP pins with graphite from a pencil. Thinking about that brought to mind the couple of pounds of molycoat that I had under the bench from 20 years ago (was it really that long ago?) from my molycoating bullets days. I took the pins and their shafts assembled and put them in a small container with some powder coating bb's and a teaspoon of moly. Ran them overnight in my vibratory case cleaner and this morning pulled them out all pretty silver with moly. I put the mold together with the deepest pins and set the mold on top of my Lyman pot and plugged it in and went off to do some other things while the pot heated.

Came back in later and saw that the pot was hot and ready and thought why not. Poured the mold full, cut the sprue, turned the mold upside down and opened it up and out fell four beautiful boolits. They were a bit wrinkled as the mold wasn't up to temp but every cast after that was the same, no tapping just turn it over and out they fell. I really believe that molycoating the pins made the big difference and wanted to pass that on. The only experience I had before with casting HP boolits was with a lyman 9mm mold that always was more trouble than it was worth, this was a new and great experience for me!
    Last edited by lancem; 03-25-2023 at 03:00 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

As long as you understand that moly is hygroscopic and attracts water.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    The only use I have for Frankford Arsenal Mold release spary is to spray the ends of HP pins.

Boolit Master

All you need is proper heat. If its not dropping off the pins are too cool.

You can also apply some graphite from a carpenters pencil. But get a hot plate and use it your issues like this will disappear.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Banned
    I own quite a few of Mihec moulds that are hollow points and don't coat the the pin tips with anything. I have zero problems with the bullets dropping from the moulds. Apparently some people's mileage is different.

Boolit Master
    I’ve never had to do anything to the HP pins in MP or NOE molds other than crank up the dial on the hot plate. Heat always fixes the sticking or incomplete fill out around the pins.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado